millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What Are You Watching? Infinite Season

I don’t know if Jamie Alexander is that bad of an actress or if it’s just the terrible writting and direction, but OH MY GOD she’s soooo bad in that show. The main dude is not so good either =/

Oh and spoilers, no, they probably don’t know where to stop =P

They show is like a procedural Prison Break… but crap.

The show basically uses the book as an outline. Kind of like later seasons of Game of Thrones. They are working toward the same climaxes, and involve many of the large pieces, but they follow different paths to those climaxes. It’s honestly very fun to read the books and watch the show, since you get to see more of The Expanse fictional universe.

As for the LDS piece, I have no idea.

This link answers your question. BTW, James S.A. Corey is a pen name of Daniel Abrahams. Main quote:

[–]DanielAbrahamDaniel Abraham 110 points 7 months ago
We both have Mormon friends. And yeah, it seemed like if any faith was going to have it baked in to become humanity’s pioneers to other stars, it would be them

You’re gonna love series 2, I thought it improved on series 1 in pretty much every way. They spent a lot of their budget on sets early on, but now they can be reused it meant they could up the CG budget, and there’s a couple of spectacular space sequences coming up as a result

The LDS stuff is played up more in the show than the book. They get mentioned in passing a fair bit but not seen anywhere near as much.

Season 2 still isn’t on Netflix. I am a patient man, but they are sorely testing me.

Thanks, guys. I had found that James S.A. Corey was actually the pen name for two collaborators, Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck, but couldn’t find the LDS connection.

So is the USS Navoo not much of a thing in the book?

There a part where it seems to hint that Amos had been a male prostitute back on Earth. Am I reading that right? There was also a place where they explained the Belter neck tattoo/scar but it was difficult to hear the actor because of the odd accent.

I loved the way they played with accent/country of origin of most of the characters that seemed to run counter to the nationality we would expect on modern Earth. Thomas Jane was pretty great too.

That’s awesome. Does the Season 1 cover the first book or is it less rigid than that? I assume the situation on Eros will continue to drive part of the story since that episode had the book title in it or does that mean it’s wrapped up.

It’s not even on Netflix here. I have to use Amazon Prime. I could buy the second season now but that’s hardly why I pay subscriptions. I hope it becomes free at some point.

Da fug?

Book 1 wraps up 4 or 5 episodes into season 2, then book 2 begins.

The Navoo continues to show up through out the series in various ways. To say more would be a spoiler though.

The books handle it with a light touch but, yes, the implication is that he was an underaged male prostitute.

It comes from if the seal between the spacesuit and helmet isn’t correct.

Does everyone know the significance of the Nauvoo, Illinois? It was a major LDS settlement rivaling the size of Chicago at the time until they were forced out and Joseph Smith was killed. That’s the point where they moved to Utah to the current center of their community. When they rebuilt the LDS temple there in 2002, I had a couple friends who were LDS. It was interesting.

The shape of the ship in the show looks to be that of the Angel Moroni from their The Book of the Mormon.

Ah, that makes sense. I thought it was a nice touch that the scar was used as a symbol for them with the tattoo. Those kind of details were one of the things that made the show so interesting to me.

We have to be getting into own thread territory for The Expanse :grinning: Me and @Lorcan_Nagle have been waiting for one for many moons, I remember us talking about having one after first episode iirc

That angel is sorta like a masthead. In this pic here, the Nauvoo is the gigantic cylinder which has yet to be closed, while Tycho Station is the much smaller cloud city lookalike to the right:

The Expanse is fairly hard as SF goes (especially by the standards of most TV sci-fi), so all the ship designs are meant to be constrained by the laws of physics. The decks in most ships - like the Cant, the Roci and the Donnager are laid out in the hull like floors in a skyscraper, so when the engines are on they provide gravity by means of acceleration.

The standard method of travelling to a destination in the show is to calculate the speed you’re going to travel at, and aim for where the destination will be when you reach its orbit. The ships accelerate for half the journey, then cut engines, flip 180 degrees and decelerate the rest of the way, so they come to a halt relative to the destination upon arrival(when Miller is travelling to Eros, the PA in the ship mentions the flip over is coming up, so he was halfway to the station at the time)

The Nauvoo is designed to be a generation ship, taking centuries to travel to their destination. As a result, they can’t carry enough fuel to accelerate, flip and decelerate, and they can’t rely on acceleration to provide gravity. So instead the ship will be accelerated to its cruising speed, at which point most of the hull will spin around its own axis, providing rotational gravity instead.

Thank you for explaining this. I was drawing on my whiteboard and didn’t understand how they could maintain it a whole trip, but adding the flip makes sense.

Since acceleration is technically increase in velocity, decrease in velocity, or changing direction, simply put anything with artificial gravity is in a constant state of acceleration.

Thankfully I was familiar with the idea before I read the books - it’s used in BattleTech and explained at length in various sourcebooks about space travel.

Unfortunately to maintain a 1g thrust for a lengthy journey you’d need a fusion drive that’s insanely efficient, to a level that’s probably outside the realms of possibility.

That’s cool. It’s difficult to get scale with a lot of the space shots. I assumed the angel was the ship and everything else was the station. It could work in the same way (think Statue of Liberty) and it really only needs to fly in space.

Along those lines I like how it’s pretty obvious that most ships were built in space, never meant to enter Earth’s atmosphere and designed as such.

It could definitely fly if you put some rockets in the base, but there are issues about unequal application of force when you’ve got stress points like the raised shoulder and where the trumpet meets the hands

And even then, when an intra-atmospheric lander shows up in series 2 it’s basically a brick, designed to drop from orbit above its target, and return later. I assume a lot if this is to have the most efficient launch and landing bodies possible to reduce the amount of heat that bleeds into the climate. If the UN could figure out how to build a space elevator, I bet they would and ban non-emergency atmospheric transits.

It’s not the first Sci Fi show to put Mormons in space.

That was going to be my next point. It seems like a lot of sci-fi writers are LDS (or at least in the case of The Expanse influenced by it). Orson Scott Card is the other one that comes to mind. I wonder if there is a draw to sci-fi within the LDS religion or if there is a draw to the LDS religion within sci-fi. I generally think of LDS as a slightly more sci-fi version of Christianity.

[quote=“MartinSmith, post:7061, topic:5568, full:true”]
The BBC have the best daytime quiz show in Pointless…[/quote]

Oh gosh, they show Pointless here on the national broadcaster - it’s proper dull. Maybe I’ve just seen bad episodes but it all seems very awkward. Local Goggleboxers ripped it to shreds too.

I don’t mind not laughing out loud. The cast is great and Kimmy is by far TVs most adorable character.