millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What are you watching? 2019 edition

Well, that does dampen my interest considerably.

I’ve watched the first two eps of season 2 now. Really enjoyed the first one, but having watched ep 2 I’m worried it’s going to lose me

Season 1 is fantastic and delivers on the layers without being too clumsy about it.

This episode laid it on thick between the male student correcting the female student, June losing the plot at nick for being the big male hero trying to save the helpless little girl, the idea that so many people would turn on folk for being gay the way they do in this show and the whole gay pride flag was the completely unnecessary icing on the big stupid cake.

It’s far too heavy handed and lays it on far too thick. It was like reading a week’s worth of the guardian (which is still my paper of choice but it’s hard work sifting thru the bullshit), where instead of preaching to the converted I just want to read the fucking news.

I hope this isn’t the direction the writing is going to take from here on, in some sort of post- trump reaction. The audience is already here by season two, they don’t need to treat us like we are stupid.

Yeah, I think that the show struggles without the novel as a guide. It becomes quite clumsy and heavy-handed, the extreme elements start to feel more gratuitous, and some of the plot twists stretch credulity.

Where does the novel end? Any ideas ?

Same ending as season one.

And is that the story finished as far as the author is concerned?

It was originally, but there’s actually a new novel set in the same world coming out later this year. I’m looking forward to it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Testaments-Handmaids-Tale-Margaret-Atwood/dp/1784742325

Saw Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales yesterday evening, with the kid. I have to say it’s the most fun I’ve had with one of those Pirates movies since the first one was in the theatres. It’s all a big ride, with some jokes and slapstick thrown in. I wouldn’t say it’s a good movie as such - the characters are barely sketches, and the plot is not something you want to think about-, but it certainly works as pure popcorn fun. As opposed to the last three PIrates movies before that, which I thought were terribly boring.

Tim Burton’s The Corpse Bride.

It’s not very good. The animation looks nice, but that’s about it. At least it’s fairly short.

Just watched Venom again as my wife didn’t catch it at the cinema and wanted to see it. If anything I think I enjoyed it more the second time around, and she liked it too.

It has a lot going for it: it’s self-aware enough to know what it is and not apologise for itself, it isn’t afraid to have a bit of fun with the concept, it offers something a little different to the standard superhero template, and it doesn’t outstay its welcome. Plus Hardy is very watchable in it.

As a fan of Venom from the comics I’m still impressed they managed to keep so much of the essence of the character even without Spider-Man’s involvement, and it’s a pleasure to see visual concepts like this brought to the screen so faithfully.

I’ll look forward to the sequel.

I was very disappointed with the start of new season of Midsommer Murders. Only two people were murdered in last night’s episode. Well, ok, technically three, but one was in a flashback to the 16th century so he doesn’t count.

Why not? As long as it’s a murder committed Midsommar it should count.

I’m sorry, I’m a traditionalist. Three consecutive present-day murders or it’s not a proper Midsommer episode :wink:

Watched Lego movie 2.
It’s just not very good. Completely missing the spark that made the first one great but saying that I did love all the raptor jokes :smiley:

Watched the Data rip off, genocidal rampage episodes of The Orville.
Best ep’s of the show so far but it was still bog standard trek lite, with nothing new to say for itself. At least the spaceship battle was pretty cool.

I just watched those two episodes over the weekend and they’re not even smart enough to be called bog standard Trek. Orville’s main problem is that it’s wants to be bog standard Trek but is too lazy and dumb to pull it off. The first episode is just Isaac saying repeatedly ‘I am an unfeeling robot’ while everyone else goes ‘Isaac, why are you so unfeeling and robotic?’ While the second episode is the robots saying over and over ‘we’re going to kill everyone. If you don’t help us, we’ll kill your crew.’ And don’t get me started on the ridiculous passageways only big enough for a child that they were too lazy to even put a grate over at the other end.

You’ve lost all sense of childlike wonderous fun, haven’t you?

Nope.

But you’ve just described 80% of TNG :confused:

Started on the second season of Friends from College. Still an awesome show. And Billy Eichner is back, too!

No one ever said that to Riker!