millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What are you watching? 2019 edition

I feel bad for Roger and Brian that this has become the narrative following the film.

It was the narrative before the film came out too. Their creative differences with Cohen over how Mercury should be portrayed is what caused him to drop out of playing Mercury.

It’s been the narrative for years. They’ve had tons of shit thrown at the them but bands are like marriages, no one outside one knows what’s it’s like inside it. Everyone comes out of the film looking good, and as a biography about the whole band, I don’t understand why anyone thinks that this would have been any different than usual biographies. The rest of them had families and didn’t die so their personal lives aren’t great for writing a movie so Freddie’s story is obviously be at the forefront but a serious documentary about Mercury has it’s place too and I hope someone makes it.

I can’t imagine there being any other issues dealing with Cohen. :wink:

SecondhandAmazingCrab-small

I really enjoyed Steven Soderbergh’s High Flying Bird on Netflix. Very much in the vein of Moneyball (which Soderbergh was supposed to direct), in that it’s a movie about the business side of a sport I know little about (basketball), but was still able to appreciate. Great cast too, especially Sonja Sohn and Bill Duke.

That and it was Freddy’s story. My guess is the criticism is a sign of the times more than anything else.

Re-watching Erin Brockovich. Albert Finney is so good in this.

Wow too bad Cohen didn’t do it, he looks soooo much like Freddie…

So ummm… the latest Robin Hood with Kingsman dude (forgot his name)…

What the fuckity fuck was that???

A bad movie is what. But, seriously… what a mess. I’m not sure if I was watching Robin Hood, Zorro, Assassin’s Creed, the Hurt Locker or the Dark Knight. None of that worked. AT ALL. The aesthetic/tone was a mess, either go medieval or go modern but don’t do a half measure. The script was really bad… also ironically the movie starts with a stupid voice over about “forgetting what you know” and then proceeds to retell the same old-ass story with minor tweaks… Ugh, there’s so much wrong with it.

This recent trend of “updating” the classics with ambiguous aesthetics has to die. It doesn’t work. It didn’t work for the Arthur one, it didn’t work here… just stop please.

I watched the Baywatch movie and thought it was ok - not great, but amusing enough for a dumb Saturday-night distraction. The Rock is worth whatever they paid him, because without him the whole thing would be completely flat.

(And was this one of those movies where the cameos were forced by contractual obligation, like the Ghostbusters remake? Pamela Anderson turns up but doesn’t say a word, and her appearance lasts about five seconds. Hasselhoff is a little better but it still feels a bit painful.)

That feels like a sound creative choice.

It was probably for the best. :smile:

It’s just a bit of a weird moment overall.

We watched “Won’t You Be My Neighbor” last night and it was as fantastic as I expected. Even moreso.
Mr Rogers and his message is something we really need right now and wish we had more like him.

I loved it too. Such a great documentary.

I’m watching our Medics’ Revue from 1997 (our third year at medical school), made even more entertaining by knowing everyone involved is now a respectable grown-up (including a few distinguished professors)

Not entirely sure it should ever see the public light of day though … fairly bad taste in 1997 in 2019 terms … :flushed:

Sounds like one to keep for blackmailing purposes.

I enjoyed The Lego Movie 2. Not as good as the first one, obviously, but still very enjoyable.

There did seem to be a lot more jokes that would go over the heads of kids watching, down to the main plot being partly a meta-commentary on Chris Pratt’s career over the last five years. There’s also references to Elliott Smith, all the actors who’ve played Batman in live action, etc that I liked, but none of the children in the cinema reacted to that much.

The “Stuck in Your Head” song didn’t do much for me, but I liked the Lonely Island song about staying to read the credits.

Good to see audiences getting in on the meta joke by giving the movie such a low turnout.

It pains me that Alita: Battle Angel is struggling for cash while Aquaman is making a Billion plus. It does far more with far less and I think it’ll find it’s audience too late to get the sequel it deserves more than most films. It feels closer to the adaption of a YA novel than a Manga comic, and a good one.

However, that’s also a problem, beacuse at times you feel that we aren’t being given the real meat of the characters.

Despite that, ABA really seems to know what it is and the lines between the plot dots are so full of verve you get sucked into a film that seems to get better as it goes on, at least until it begins setting up a sequel. Salazar is extremely likable, as is waltz, and, while the rest of the cast is somewhat underused, everyone’s motivation is stark and clear. The look and feel of the film seems to easily carry it through despite the usual clunky dialog that comes into play around Cameron, though there are some great little lines and moments, too. “How do they do that, magic?” “No, something much better, engineering.”

The action is solid and you really feel some weight and heft, especially in the bar/underground fight sequence. It’s above par in that sense, and it’s really about the intergration aspect. An underwater sequence makes Aquaman’s underwater stuff seem almost painfully overappreciated. Part of me really thinks this will get a sequel because it’s quite clear that Cameron is using this to push effects enough for what he needs from the Avatar sequels. Right from the begining there’s elements where you feel this is doing things just for the sake of getting the effects right. If it breaks even then this will be a roaring success because it really feels like the whole 200 million was spent on testing and pushing the processes Cameron’s preparing for the next three Avatar movies and I have a feeling a sequel will do the same job. If it’s breaking even it’s paying for itself before three Avatar sequels bring in between 4-6 billion if they get it right.

In any case, Alita: Battle Angel is very enjoyable, if none-too-deep, top-of-their-game effects, action adventure that if you don’t enjoy to some degree you’re probably dead inside and there’s no hope for you.