millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What are you watching? 2019 edition

It has a few moments that are questionable, but it wisely supported that by not providing any solid explanations for what is happening. As soon as an explanation is offered, it’s also put into question. So, you never get to step outside the sphere of the characters and you don’t really know any more than they do.

The biggest complaint for me was that they cut back and forth over five years worth of story, but they didn’t do much to make the characters look any different or show the passage of time in the setting. They went through a neighborhood in one scene, and I was wondering “who’s trimming the trees and mowing the yards?”

The Season 2 premiere of The Orville… it was all the soap operish side plots smashed together to form a full episode.

Putting my reviews here. It gets a bit much to wade through a hundreds of posts deep thread by the time I actually see a film.

Aquaman - I was actually probably going to give this film a pass but my dad really wanted to see it. So it was some time away with just him. It was a pretty solid film. For me, it was Black Panther meets The Phantom Menace. There was a lot of world building and some interesting exploration of Aquaman and his origin. The beginning of the film had some odd uncanny valley effects to make some of the actors look younger. Momoa was really the highlight of the film. All-in-all it was a fun watch, a good time but didn’t really blow me away.

Mary Poppins Returns - This one was my wife’s choice. It felt very much like a direct sequel to the original film even down to tone and settings but with much better tech behind it. Those things almost made it feel like it was from an alternate timeline due to how much the storytelling felt like a film from another era. They kept up the tradition of Americans with horrible British accents among a mostly British cast. It wasn’t my cup of tea but my wife enjoyed it.

I did laugh at some of the bits but damn, McFarlane really needs to relinquish some control and let a woman give these scrips a once over. Some of the relationship advice and scenes were really tone deaf.

Have you watched Hill House?

I have. I liked it but didn’t love it. I thought the acting was great and it looked wonderful but the story ultimately proved to be a bit of a mess and not very scary. The constant monologues got on my nerves by the end too.

It was interesting to compare it to The Shining which I felt it resembled more than Shirley Jackson’s novel. It had smart twists to its story development, but I wasn’t entirely satisfied by the end. However, it’s major accomplishment was in being able to set up good scares that emerged from the story rather than from the effects.

A friend recommended this ;

http://www.thesearchforgeneraltso.com

I enjoyed the documentary, but I wanted another one half an hour later. :wink:

We watched it a while back and really enjoyed it.

I did find another video to watch;

Taste-o-vision really came in handy!

I kinda don’t wanna watch Bird Box 'cause it feels like I’ve already seen that movie (I’m talking about Blindness).

That’s not so much one of the movies I’d compare it too. I mean, you can sorta see a lot of different end of civilization / monster apocalypse movies in this. Most of them usually have what I like to call the “Gilligan’s Island” set up where it is usually a group of strangers who get stuck together during the apocalypse. A few go more of “Waltons” set up where it is a family group stuck together in some remote location while the end of the world descends. Some have a very tight timeline where the story only takes place over a few days and some are broad timelines where it takes place over years or starts years after the end of the world.

This movie does all of them.

What an alternative title that is. Would a film by that name be much different?

I don’t know, honestly. Bird Box sorta makes sense, but it feels like it was called that just because Bird Cage was too on the nose and also already taken.

Apparently, yes:

We finished it last night and I liked it much more than I expected to. The end in particular; Mr Dudley carried his wife into the house at the end was heartbreaking.

We watched this today, all three eps.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen quite such a sleazy yet still accurate to the era take on Poirot. Landlady come pimp, prostituting out her daughter, a social climber out for herself, one of the most deserving murder victims ever and all with the Stormfront lot agitating against anyone not deemed sufficiently British. A dark mirror to the current Brexit goings on? Certainly - kind of sad the same shit is back near 90 years later.

I liked Malkovitch’s version of Poirot here - wounded but closed, his past is his business and no one else’s.

Like you, I think this best remains as a one-off - to want more is always good, getting more isn’t always so.

Just finished the final season of Netflix’s A Series of Unfortunate Events.
And, well, it’s nice that an adaptation exists that made it to the end.
There are some issues I had with it, especially the cop-out ending.
But it was still nice to see and it still did do a lot of clever things as an adaptation.
Just…sorta evens out for me.
6.5/10 for the overall series.

Hope they make that prequel series - that would be cool.

I’ve been really enjoying the modern version of DuckTales (hopefully Disney UK will get off their asses and show the rest of s1 soon) but don’t have any real memories of the original. I’m aware of it, obviously, and I’m fairly sure I used to watch it, but beyond the generalities, nothing.

Hence, I recorded the DuckTales Movie: Treasure of the Lost Lamp.

Oh boy. I didn’t appreciate before now how much work the new version did to create distinct personalities for the triplets. I assumed they had them to some degree before, but they’re just three of the same character. Ditching their Yakky-Doodle voices was a really good choice the new show made too. There’s an oddly colonial (borderline racist) attitude to this, considering it was made in 1990. The local Arab characters are not only all rats, but portrayed as simpering idiots and/or dishonest thieves. With its inevitable Genie, who turns out to be a zany, motormouth, it feels like a dry run for Aladdin (which would have been entering production when this was made).

Also, Considering it’s a (TV) movie, the animation’s really janky, even by the standards of Disney’s Direct-To-Video productions.

So I think I’m just going to stick to the modern DuckTales series, though I’m still tempted to check out some of the Scrooge comics.