millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What are you watching? 2019 edition

Pulp Fiction, Killing Zoe and Trainspotting were critical darlings back then and would still be today, but they weren’t even all watched back then - Killing Zoe was not very successful. I don’t think the way movies are reviewed has changed a lot since then.

As far as independent movies have changed, I think that’s more down to the movie industry than to critics.

Again, I am wondering where you’re getting that from. To give a snipping of the movies coming out right now:

I don’t think Ralph Breaks the Internet, Creed II, or Instant Family were made by David Lynch. Although I would love an Into the Spiderverse movie by David Cronenberg.

Outside of a brief phase in the seventies when Taxi Driver and Apocalypse Now won the Palme d’Or, they never were.

No it isn’t. The Greatest Showman got rather tepid reviews (55% with critics on Rotten Tomatoes and 87% from fans shows the gulf) but Into the Spider-Verse is 100% after 79 reviews and that’s populist entertainment too. So it happens but not as a rule.

It’s part of what I like on the BBC Radio 5 show, Kermode gave it a bad review but they have correspondence from listeners, an interactive element most critics don’t get, and many really liked it. He actually went back and re-appraised it a bit more favourably as originally he didn’t think the songs were catchy but they grew on him.

I think there’s also something in the nature of the job, he reviews a dozen films a week as do most critics, whereas it would be quite a cinephile in normal life that goes to one a week. That’s watching a lot of very formulaic material we normally skip so I can imagine anything showing some originality would be a big tonic. The box office pattern of films like Titanic and TGS, where they hang around for months in the top 10 despite not opening to huge numbers, is a sign of an audience that generally doesn’t go to the cinema a lot. For some of them it may be one of just a couple of visits a year compared to 600+ for the critics. So really there always will be some gap because they just don’t consume in the same way and can’t.

Yeah, exactly. And obviously, this goes the other way round, as well - when you’re watching a dozen movies a week and know all the patterns by heart, you’ll love nothing more than being challenged, than a movie trying to attack your or grind you down. The Killing of the Holy Deer is a brilliant, remarkable film and damn, I should’ve put that one on my ten best movies of the deacde list, but it’s not something a casual audience will be looking to watch.

If people liked chewing on coal it would be in every food shop, but they don’t so it isn’t.

It didn’t do well because it’s not a very good movie and people didn’t like it.

This is a half truth.

Oh no, I am quite sure that people really didn’t like it.

(I agree with Steve, obviously. It was a mess of a movie. I really, really wanted to like it… but I didn’t.)

La La Land made over $400 million worldwide.

To be fair, Jonny said “notable awards”. The Oscar was never one of those.

The only messy thing, I think, are the stylistic choices. After all these years, still goddamn jarring.
But I rewatched it again over the summer - and it’s still a masterful film in all other respects.
Nolte, Connelly, and Elliot are powerhouses in this.

The stylistic choices are jarring indeed, but it’s also far too serious for its own good and tries to shoehorn Freudian depth into a plot that doen’t really lend itself to any of that.

One of my favourite ‘ruins.’

Okay based on the recommendations of @RonnieM and @RobertB I watch the Netflix Adam Sandler Special. I watch a lot of stand up as I can dive in and pull out so I was always going to give it a go at some point but I was sceptical it would be more that ninth grade humour but Ronnie intrigued me with talk of the sound design.

Okay first of humour is subjective, so it’s hard to review the comedy, but Ronnie is right, the editing and sound design here are just absolutely fantastic and really sets it apart from anything else right now. It feels in part like a documentary of a tour showing the very early stages to the final big show as well as having a YouTube compilation feel. It manages to pack in so much and you don’t have a chance to lift your phone even if a joke doesn’t land for you - I’m pretty sure people are going to start copying this format. It seems like a swansong but I can see people clambering for more of this from Sandler, it’s genuine and real stand up more in the vein of Steve Martin or Bo Burnham, aiming to entertain via performance and using silliness with an underpinning of wit and intelligence.

On the comedy itself, not every joke hit for me, but the ones that did had tears streaming down my face despite myself. As I say I was also sceptical and took a few jokes to break that at the begining. Half way through, I was already looking forward to a rewatch and by the end I felt a bit like standing up with the crowd and clapping.

Definitely worth watching.

Yeah, I was the same way. I started watching it on a whim and the first joke to break down my defenses was the one about his dad shaving his beard. After that I had a great time.

Mine was slo-mo man. I hadn’t laughed yet and had wet eyes after it.

How did the Chris Farley tribute song hit you guys? I thought it was hilarious, sweet and a little heartbreaking at the same time. A great tribute and ya it seemed like a swan song for Sandler as well.

I really enjoyed that but Farley was never as famous or widely seen here in the UK so I don’t think it had the same impact. It’s strange how the internet has affected that. A ton of people I am a big fan of are barely ever shown on TV here in the UK.

Sacrelige. I’m not sure we can be friends anymore. :wink:

So how do you know about Adam Sandler? He’s been around longer but most of his major work was from around the same time period.

The Wedding Singer was a huge hit over here, and Happy Gilmore was something of a cult success before that.

The Waterboy was the first thing I saw him in. That movie was huge at the time.