millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What are you watching? 2018 edition

I was rooting for him too. I got no satisfaction from the end but I could tell it was headed to tragedy.

Watched the first couple episodes of the recent DIRK GENTLY on HULU. The first was interesting, but it was the second episode that grabbed me. It was also a lot funnier as things progressed.

It is completely different from Adams’ source novels in the story (not set in England) and tone, but it works. Honestly, it’s a completely separate story idea with Dirk Gently as a character in it.

School Of Rock was one I almost mentioned in the ‘great comedies of the 2010s’ thread as being one of the last comedies that I’ve really. rewatched (as there hasn’t really been a film like that this decade). I love its positive outlook and charming cast of kids. Maybe one of the best kids casts ever.

Yep. I loved that series a little, and am quite sad that there won’t be a third season.

Quadrophenia.

It’s odd seeing a bunch of actors I know from their current day roles, mostly as Old British Tough Guys, all in their twenties: Phil Davis, Phil Daniels, Ray Winstone, and Timothy Spall.

Also, Jim from The Bill, Sting (who I guess was just getting started in music), and Toyah Willcox.

It’s also weird to think the same amount of time passed between when this movie was set and when it came out (1964 and 1979) as with Lady Bird. This feels much more like a period piece.

Finished Blindspot S2.

Its second half was stronger than its first half, despite obvious plot bombs being primed and then detonated in very predictable ways. After the sheer carnage she instigated, the idea that Shepherd remains alive, even with the fate she has irks. Hell, they don’t have to even kill her, just shoot her knees and elbows out, that’ll stop doing anything in the future.

And then, having tied up the story, cue the Mandatory US TV Season-End Cliffhanger ™ - 5-10mins of total bollocks, utterly unconnected to the rest of the episode because the makers have no damn confidence in their own product.

The overall big weakness of this second series is the answers it gives to S1’s conspiracy plot are lacking. At no point did I ever have a sense of Shepherd as being this charismatic leader I’m being told she is. The show tried to play a “what if they’re right?” angle on Sandstorm, but it did so half-heartedly and undercut it at every turn.

So, yeah, think we’re done with this one. Have just started on Elementary.

I enjoyed him as a character but I certainly wasn’t rooting for him. He turned into the devil for me after letting Jane die. The killing of the prisoners made it complete. Walter was a good villain, but really like Jesse said he was the devil.

Jesse was a sack of shit too, but he was redeemable in my eyes. Walter not so much.

I’m not sure if we’re getting close to spoiler territory here or not. I saw it as him saving Jessie as he thought if he stayed with Jane he’d be dead of an overdose within a year. She wasn’t exactly a good influence.

I’ve been watching since the beginning and it’s wuite entertaining. Nothing groundbreaking but an enjoyable time. Miller and Liu do a fantastic job in there roles. The development of Joan Watson over the seasons is a high point.

Finally caught Isle of Dogs. Wes Anderson is one of the most pure cinematic storytellers I’ve ever seen, and this is a great showcase for him.

Also saw Super Troopers 2. I became a fan of Broken Lizard after Club Dread, so the first Super Troopers felt like someone else’s cult favorite. But this second one, I got it easily. Glad the group made another one, and another movie in general.

I haven’t watched it in ages and, as it happens, it’s the character growth that put me off.

‘Elementary’ (for me) is one of those shows that works best in an eternal “now”. The characters are who they are, they don’t change, they just have a different case every week and then the status quo is restored at the end.

A lot of stories are built on growth, or at least on change, but Sherlock Holmes, in any form, doesn’t benefit from that, for me.

The British series had that problem too.

Finally saw Antman and the Wasp on Saturday, which was our ninth film of the year, which means our MoviePass cards have now paid for themselves (the cards cost $90 each; we typically pay $10 for an afternoon show at our preferred cinema). For the rest of the year, or until MoviePass files for bankruptcy (whichever comes first) we will be going to the movies for free. :grinning::+1:

Sting was already famous by the time the film came out as The Police had a few big hits in 1979, although he would have been unknown when they were making it.

Ok, I know I got sometime past that section as I remember that scene. Still, I think it comes down whether you think that Walt did what he did out of affection/love for Jesse, or was it just because he needed Jesse in order to continue making money?

Which is part of what I love about the show. It skates along all shades of grey and your opinion shifts as it moves along, and my shift may not be the same as yours or Jim’s or whoever is watching. At the start of the piece your sympathies are with Walter, he has a genuine reason to do what he does and Jesse is just a waster drug dealer. By the end almost everyone has moved on that position and it’s done gradually and naturally.

I love that aspect of the show… but the season with Hank bedridden bored me (he’s my fave) so I abandoned it.

Brooklyn 99 continues to be fun, with an actual laugh out loud moment for me in yesterday’s ep (which also featured geek-fave Nathan Fillion as the star of a Law and Order style TV show).

It can be two things.

Or three. Let’s not forget that Jane was in Walt’s way, and had threatened to expose and blackmailed him. She was a danger to him and his family, I think that was the prime motivation here.

I think this is at a time when Walt still feels the need to convince himself he’s doing something for the “right” reason, though, and suffers under the decision he makes.

I do think that the show is in part about someone realising that he is actually not a good, but a bad person. I guess I still kinda rooted for him in the later seasons simply because he’s our focal point and because he’s going up against people who are just as bad, but I also wanted to see him pay. Especially after he killed Mike.

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol was fun. Easily the best film since the first, if not the best of them all. Despite the less stellar cast, it’s got a decent story, good characters and is much better directed than the last two, with none of the shaky cam nonsense Abrams relied on. I was pleasantly surprised to find it subverting some of my expectations (not using Luther didn’t mean he was dead, Ethan’s wife wasn’t horribly killed in the first few minutes to get him back in the game).
I think my favourite thing is that it took some of the sheen off proceedings. Things don’t always go flawlessly for the team - I don’t just mean getting betrayed or unexpected plot twists, but small things, like tech failing (the self-destruct on Ethan’s mission briefing not going off for instance) and on-the-fly escape plans not always panning out (that scene of Ethan dithering about jumping off the hospital wall into the dumpster is great). It humanises the team (along with things like Carter not being any good at the cliche femme-fatale seduction routine) and stops everything feeling too implausibly slick and unflappable, like a typical Bond film.

Yes.

I think that’s sort of the brilliance of Walt’s villainy. There’s a real duality about him.

When it comes to the question of whether he did what he did for his family or his own ego, I think that despite what anyone says (including the producers or Walt himself) that it was both. I believe he really did care for his family and wanted them to be wealthy and happy, but he also enjoyed putting on the hat and becoming Heisenberg at the same time.

Or, in the final season, when he kidnapped Holly, he did it to both take the legal heat off of Skylar by turning her into a victim, and to punish her at the same time.

It’s interesting watching Better Call Saul, where Mike is following a similar arc to Walt in that he “broke bad” himself in order to provide for his daughter-in-law and granddaughter and quickly found himself in over his head with the Salamancas.