millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What are you watching? 2018 edition

This is definitely the impression I got from watching the trailer

One of the problems with these movies is that they’re not really about anything. It makes it really difficult to care.

Oh, sure, there’s some end-of-the-world threat that the filmmakers invent to give everyone a goal, but they’re just McGuffins.

Hitchcock knew how to use them, unfortunately other filmmakers are more hit and miss.

They’re fine for games too, of course.

A Tomb Raider film is really up against it due to the new games, which are pretty much interactive movies!

Also, does Fury Road count?

Again though, I still prefer 2049.

Tomb Raider was a surprisingly enjoyable little film. Alicia Vikander is well cast, and I liked that they went with a more MMA style for her fight scenes.

It does show its computer game origins a bit to much at times. Especially during the action scenes. They’re fun enough, but you can practically see “press X to jump” appear at the bottom of the screen.

It’s not going to win any awards or anything. But I thought it was enjoyable for what it is.

What I didn’t enjoy was A Wrinkle In Time. It’s just a very badly put together film. The script is painful, the acting is stiff and the direction feels amateurish. You can say it’s a kids movie, but I thinks it’s kind of insulting to kids to give them this load of tosh.

It really is quite a ripely bad piece of work. It’s really why I have no faith in Duvernay’s New Gods.

The Americans series finale: I really liked it. Intense, emotional and ambiguous. For me, it stuck the landing.

Agreed. I did not know how this was going to play out (multiple ways it could have gone) and I was glued to the end.
Very good series overall.

I really liked Wes Anderson’s Isle of Dogs, to no-one’s surprise. As with Mr. Fox, I wouldn’t say I liked it more than his non-animated stuff, though. I don’t know, maybe it’s that the form is just too perfect for Anderson’s sensibilities. Every shot is like a little work of art, but that also takes away some of the energy, I think, if that makes any sense?

Anyway, it was a great little story and a fun movie to watch, and there were many shots that were very, very beautiful indeed. I also loved the use of, um, drawn animation, you know, the non-stop-motion kind. There were some bits and pieces in there that also looked incredible.

Games of Thrones Seaon Seven all day on HBO2 -

and then I would like to invite you all to join me on Fox (whose sterling quality is presenting live baseball games) in watching my Los Angeles Dodgers visit here at Coors Field to battle the First Place Colorado Rockies! 5pm local time on the teevee! It’s gorgeous here today!

(Okay, first place in NL West. For the Rocks, that’s stellar!)

This week’s ep of The Bridge, was shown Friday, had some of the nastiest stuff I’ve seen in ages even by the standards of Nordic Noir.

What happened? In the prior ep a dodgy crime boss started killing his rivals over a stolen delivery, so one of his enemies struck back by dropping a clown in on his ill daughter in hospital, who’s terrified of clowns. He then gets a text informing him that she’s been poisoned and if he wants the antidote, make with the cash. He pays up, gets what he believes is the antidote, rushes into the hospital and uses it… And fatally poisons his daughter! It is a massively fucked-up revenge where a guy is duped into killing his kid. After that, the ep was a bit milder, but it remains one very gripping tale.

I came away from Isle of Dogs feeling the same way. I love Wes Anderson but after that film I felt his live actors bring more to his scripts than what is on that page, and that extra spark they bring is crucial.

Agreed, although Isle of Dogs was way more successful at capturing something close to that spark than Fantastic Mr. Fox - which I felt was very cold feeling.

I saw the cinema re-release of 2001: A Space Odyssey, which was great to see on the big screen.

I wish they hadn’t included the 15-minute interlude though, as it completely ruins the flow of the movie, especially with only an hour to go before the end.

Also, at both the start and the interlude, someone from the audience had to go out and tell one of the employees to start the film and turn down the lights. :frowning:

Was that the one with the new tint?

How was that?

I’m not familiar enough with it to tell, it’s been years since I last saw it on DVD.

The very best bits of Grand Budapest Hotel, for me, were the stuff that in your reckoning of this follow-up project seem to have anticipated it, where it seems like Anderson had a work of art installed that happened to have a movie around it. And in fact that’s what I most liked about Grand Budapest, even more than all the actors popping up doing zany things.

The last time I saw 2001 in the cinema it was the version with the overture and the interval. Can’t say I minded too much. But my local cinema has competent projectionists

Speaking of Wes Anderson, I present a Saturday Night Live parody trailer for a Wes Anderson horror film, “The Midnight Coterie of Sinister Intruders.”

(Sorry if it isn’t showing up. It’s on Hulu and their site is kind of crap.)

www[dot]hulu[dot]com/watch/550566