millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What are you watching? 2018 edition

That’s a lot of the film discussions. The problems with the film (whatever one it is being discussed) are real, but they’re not the problem.

Hopefully it’ll inspire them to come get you if you.re ever lost in time/space!

Family films have to engage the kids but not bore the adults too much. The best entertain both groups, but that’s a tough (split) target to aim for.

They do and interestingly DuVernay in her interview didn’t seem too interested in that, she said it was aimed squarely at 7-14 year olds and the listener correspondence echoed what I found, that it went down very well with that group. So if that was her intention it’s hard to say she didn’t succeed.

For me it was uninventive and I’d seen it all before. The book came out 56 years ago so probably quite a few films have ripped off some of its themes and ideas too in the meantime.

That’s great that the kids enjoyed it.

I would be worried about my niece and nephew watching it because I felt it was rather stiltedly handled, framed, and acted. Just off on various aspects.

That’s pretty much the book, too, and why I couldn’t get into it. It’s a needlessly elaborate setup for a story that doesn’t seem to actually have any reason for it.

@BeingHenning, I think Hanks and company work during the day, or at least the afternoon/evening shift. Or maybe they just have shift rotations. I don’t think seeing them obviously make a special effort to bring Coffey somewhere at night affects the plausibility of the whole thing. Although if you really want to justify it, I’m really sure Sam Rockwell’s obvious volatility would easily do so. But you can also see how Eduard Delacroix’s “mouse circus” event takes place during the day.

Some of these nitpicks people have, and have been a hallmark of viewing since the ‘90s, can be easily explained. Some of them are just production mistakes. Some of them are just not thinking through a scenario enough. Ironically Quiet Place sounds like early Shyamalan. What made The Sixth Sense such a sensation was that it really did have a surprise ending that can be justified by the rest of the movie. But by Signs people had started questioning the logic of the twist. “Water??? On a planet covered in water??? Why would they have even come???” Now, I find that particular nitpicking incredibly stupid, viewers trying to prove they were smarter than an increasingly notoriously clever filmmaker, “clever” increasingly needing to be downplayed because we seem to want to destroy things we love the longer they exist. (Another giant aberration of the Avengers cycle.) It’s like arguing, “Bullets??? Giant automatic explosions can’t hurt them, but bullets???” Which is basically deconstructing Star Wars as a franchise built around a movie where a doomsday space station is blown up because of an exhaust port. Which if you focus on that

(And of course viewers wanting to downplay the original popularity of Independence Day had to say, “A computer virus???” Sometimes I really, really hate people.)

If it’s good enough for Arthur C Clarke in 3001, it’s good enough for me.

If the story and performances are sufficiently engaging,it’s easy to look over plot holes. If the story is poorly written and/or acted, ignoring plot holes becomes impossible.

I have not seen A Quiet Place except for the ads. Just looking at them, I saw the weaknesses in the concept of the creatures but thought it still might be an enjoyable movie.

You hate people for disagreeing about a movie?

Not really. But I hate stupid opinions.

Last night with a dearth of entertainment I found myself watching Die Hard, Die Hard 2 and Die Hard with a Vengeance. One quite has to turn off one’s brain to go with the flow, but it’s still possible. Dennis Franz was really horrible in the last one, but it was fun to see a lot of actors in bit parts. No sense to surviving the explosions and falls and dozens of other things that would land Batman in the ICU, but do we really care? No, we want McClain to kick ass and figure out nefarious heists. One hell of a lot of stunt driving, too!

Yippie-kaye-yay.

I watched the fourth Hatchet film (confusingly named Victor Crowley) last night.

Looked cheap. Horribly acted. Naff dialogue. Total dogshit. But enjoyable dogshit nevertheless. A perfect storm of enjoyable dogshit.

Die Hard With a Vengeance is a more than solid action film. The end’s not as good as the rest but it’s still always worth a watch. And don’t be fooled - that wasn’t Dick Cheney!

Watched Baby Driver over the weekend. I thought it was okay, wife absolutely hated it. It’s four days later and she’s brought up again how much she hated it.

Did you watch The Post? I really enjoyed that.

I really liked Baby Driver, but in my head it will now forever be the last Kevin Spacey film I saw before discovering just how much of a dick Kevin Spacey is.

I have come to the conclusion that Superman Returns was a cursed production. Not only that, it was the only DVD I ever had where the printing on it killed the DVD’s functionality. An omen!

What took you so long?

It’s one of the most expensive films every made mainly because they started and ditched it so many times.

I still feel sorry for my nephew Peter, the film is known for its lack of action and he got a pirate DVD version that left out the plane rescue scene for some reason, which is the best bit.

The Florida Project. I was iffy on it at the start, but then i went with it at really got into the story and characters…unfortunately it then has a pretty shite ending that left a bit of a bad taste for me.

It does have some good performances though. Especially from the kids.

I was really disappointed by it unfortunately. Spotlight makes it look like a History Channel re-enactment. And as much as I love Hanks and Streep, the Cookie Monster chews up less scenery than they do in The Post.

For some reason, the BBC iPlayer (on Sky at least) has Ken Hom’s first British cooking programme on there. So of course I’m watching it, why wouldn’t anyone watch a cooking show from 1984?
It’s quite interesting - not just the recipes, but how Ken is clearly a bit uncomfortable being on camera and that the show is basically about him explaining the basics of Chinese food to people who have never heard of any of it. I mean, he spends five minutes explaining the different types of noodle (which is fair enough) but then shows you how to make lettuce with oyster sauce (put lettuce in boiling water, remove, cover in oyster sauce. I mean, it barely counts as a recipe).

I may have my own bias that prevents me from seeing the seriousness of what Spacey’s alleged to have done (I also haven’t sought out details), but I can separate that from a film, especially one where he only has a few minutres’ screentime.

Similarly, knowing that Tom Cruise is a creep in addition to being a cult ringleader doesn’t stop me watching and enjoying his films.

Maybe Baby Driver would be better on second viewing; I didn’t really notice the music being especially synchronised with what’s onscreen, but that might be because I was just following the dialogue and plot.

Wife’s issues were an unlikable protagonist (and actor she’s not fond of), underwritten female roles, bad acting from some corners (Bernthal!), and being a music driven film where all the songs bar one or two have male vocalists.

I felt that they were going for pretty much intentional, pulpy chiche characters so didn’t mind how hammy Bernthal, Foxx, and the female criminal were. The male dominated music I did notice but figured since it’s diegetic music, it’s down to the character so can excuse it.

Fuckin hell man a director is not even supposed to pick the songs he likes now in his movies in case he upsets someone.

The games a fuckin bogey.

We live in a generation of complete and utter bullshit