Comics Creators

What are you watching? 2018 edition

It’s definitely cynical, but when it’s done well - which isn’t very often - it can be gripping. I know I made a joke about the surprise twist in Night of the Living Dead there, but it was really effective when I saw it as a teenager. It’s a deft social commentary, but like many things in media, most of the imitators focused on the veneer and not the core. And we wind up with the kind of stories that feed into your view of them as wish fulfilment.

Zombie movies dramatise a collapse of civilisation due to some sudden disaster. Most societies don’t experience that. Disasters are regional, outside help can alleviate the most serious problems so people never have to make the kinds of decisions that characters in a zombie story do.

It’s a “what if” for something that is very, very rare in real life, so we don’t really know if people would mostly cooperate, or if the violent assholes would create their own little empires.

Stargate Origins Episodes 6 and 7: It’s setting up a lot of plot points for the original movie but is also reusing them making the length of time between the events of the two completely ridiculous. But the acting is marginally better for the leads in these two episodes, so…ebbs and flows

What was that Matthew McConaughey movie about the dragons called? That had “nice” humans after the apocalypse. They have a well-regulated community, a school, pretty much a perfect “frontier” style civilization. I can imagine setting up that being a satisfying endpoint to the Walking Dead. And it would make Jim happy because everybody was being nice to each other.

Reign of Fire.

It was cool.

Eh? Did that have dragons? :confused:

Reign of Fire’s group reminded me of the peasant communes in the 11th and 12th centuries before the later Feudal arrangements became the common order of the area. Most peasants even under feudalism were self-regulating and sustaining without any direction from the lords and nobles who ostensibly “owned” the land (actually, the king owned all the land, but the lords were given rights to it - and there was still a lot of public land that everyone could use prior to the forestry laws William the Conqueror brought to England).

I thought that movie was pretty well done and a lot like movies from the early to mid 90’s like Screamers and Fortress that were somewhat schlocky but had really good ideas.

Yup, that’s the post apocalypse to me. Stands to reason as people still have kids (as they keep doing the thing that eventually leads to kids). And parents want a nice stable environment that’s good for the kids future.

You can point to some countries in the world that have strongman leaders and raiding bandits, and some countries in the world that are particularly harsh towards a minority or anyone deemed as an outsider. In the most part though even within those environments there’s a degree of civilization that you don’t often see in most post apocalypse movies. So Mad Max 3 worked as Bartertown was basically the Birmingham Bullring, but Immortal Joe & Humungus were a bit weird and outlandish.

If you want to imagine a functional dystopia it’s a good place to start.

Warlords aren’t ancient history, but they tend to be part of long tradition that’s not been abandoned yet.

Europe moved away from this sort of feudalism after the middle ages as the concept of a nation state solidified, but both world wars were tribal wars, started by men who owed more to the medieval mindset than The Enlightenment or even The Renaissance.

America’s Wild West period is sometimes regarded as a brief return to feudalism, but the desire to create a new nation quickly overwhelmed the “barons” who tried to control the settler communities that spread across the continent.

Today, Afghanistan is probably the best known country to be ruled partially by strong men with guns who each each control small areas by violence and fear.

Somalia has only recently emerged from something similar after their civil war in the 90 and 2000’s and it’s still regarded as a work in progress and very fragile.

El Ministerio del Tiempo Season 2.

Season 1 I thought had some very high points, but the main arc was pretty lackluster. The characters and the interplay really carried it. Season 2, which I’m 6 episodes into, is intensified versions of those. The main arc is pretty uninteresting, but the some of the newly introduced/used characters/cast are a delight. They might have to carry the story once again, but they have an easier job of it due to the larger pool of talent.

I’ll never be able to look at it any other way from now on.

The Breadwinner, the latest movie from Cartoon Saloon (The Book of Kells, Song of the Sea).

It’s much darker than I expected. It’s great though, with some beautiful animation and a really well-written story. I suspect Coco’s going to win the Oscar, but I’d definitely give it to this.

I liked Red Sparrow. However, it seems like most of the people in my screening did not.
I don’t know if they plan to make the entire trilogy, but I hope the studio have their expectations of the box office for this thing in check.

Joel Edgerton plays a character called Nate Nash. Can there be a more perfectly American name than that. Maybe Stan Lee should ask for a co-creator credit. Maybe he did already?

JLaw’s Russian accent kills any desire for me to see Red Sparrow

Accents don’t bother me much. I even like Robin Hood enough to watch it when it comes on TV.

We’d managed to avoid Get Out spoilers and watched that last night. It’s was good, and probably well placed for a rewatch. Not at all what I was expecting, but I’m not sure it should be up there as a Best Picture contender.

I actually wasn’t too impressed with most of the Best Picture nominated movies I saw this year. I liked them all well enough, but none of them blew me away. That said, while I don’t really think of Get Out as being worthy of a Best Picture award, I also think it has the best chance of any of them movie nominated of actually being remembered 5 years from now.