Comics Creators

What are you watching? 2018 edition

I don’t think they need a cure, they just need to reach a point where they’ve built a home and can lay down their burdens. Because the dead aren’t really the problem and haven’t been for a long time. It’s just getting along with other people and rebuilding society. Or, yeah, they all just die. Most endings are anti-climatic anyway.

I started watching the Snatch TV show. It’s actually quite fun - I’m enjoying it and the cast are all pretty great. Worth checking out if you enjoy that Guy Ritchie gangster story kind of thing.

I found the original concept of Romero’s by Day of the Dead to be pretty interesting. The idea that the zombies and survivors would continue to evolve. It was a somewhat Classical dramatic progression where there is a horrible catastrophe that eventually finds a harmonious balance.

Like with every horrible disaster or event, people adapt and in the long run forget how truly horrible it was at the time.

What I haven’t seen in many zombie films and shows though are the natural but subtle behavioral changes that would come about over a long term. It reminds me of the story about how the reintroduction of wolves in Montana forests changed the behavior of deer, elk and other herbivores to the point that they stopped over grazing the edges of rivers. It wasn’t that the wolves killed a whole lot of deer, but since the deer knew the wolves were in the forest, they avoided places like river banks where they could be easily attacked. So much so, that the collective change in behavior changed the environment.

Humans are just smart animals and if there were zombies around, the survivors would naturally seriously change behavior in deep ways to adapt. Sign language (of any kind) would be common with some people hardly ever speaking. Entry and exit tactics would change. I mean, if you knew hordes of infectious, maniac cannibals might stagger up at any time, your head would be on a swivel at all times, right? You’d never look at the person you were talking to. Instead, you’d both be looking at each other’s blind spots for possible attack.

Also, dealing with power plants - especially nuclear, gas refineries and fossil fuel/chemical storage tanks and other potential disasters would be an interesting entry point to a zombie story. It’s bad enough dealing with hordes of the infectious undead, but imagine having to go through miles of them to shut down a nuclear reactor or every survivor in the region dies regardless.

Yeah the comic really has changed that formula. They’ve actually been in the same location since #70 which as their on #176 is the majority of the length of the comic.

Finding a new balance would be the best ending.

I liked the movie ‘Daybreakers’ for creating a post-human society where everyone was a vampire. The need for drama meant that the society would have to fail, and fail hard, but it was interesting to see a world of people who had found their new normal and just got on with it.

Daybreakers was nice. I agree.

The problem is that without a cure, they’re still living on the knife’s edge of another zombie outbreak. All you need is for someone to die of a heart attack in their sleep and suddenly you’ve got zombies wandering around your safe zone again.

Do what Fido did.

Zombie-Proof burials.

That’s a burial. I’m talking about unexpected deaths. Without a cure there’s no way to guard against another outbreak. Season 3 (?) dealt with this idea slightly when the kid dies of a fever during the night and suddenly there were zombies inside the prison.

Like AntiChris says, the best ending would probably be the opposite: a community on its way to rebuilding the world, and that has found a way to deal with the dead. Once you start routinely cremating whoever has died, they’re a finite resource, after all.

Sure there’s always the worry of an outbreak, so you just make it so everyone has to lock themselves up at night. There’s no perfect solution, but there are safety measures they could adopt to help prevent it. Similar to measures you might take to prevent a fire. The risk will always be there, but they’d have to develop their new society to deal with the risks as best as possible.

Yeah, that was really creepy.

There’s workarounds, of course. You’d need a few rules like, nobody is ever alone for a longer period of tie, and everybody locks themselves in their rooms when they go to sleep (zombies can’t operate keys). Those two rules alone would avoid the majority of possible incidents. It wouldn’t be all that hard to figure out a way.

And for the remaining risk, you’ve got a Zombie Brigade.

That setting would surely be a season on its own.

EDIT: Heh. Great minds thinking alike. High-five, Chris!

I reached that point at the midseason break this season. I just have no desire to continue watching it; I’ll probably continue, though, if only because Liz still enjoys watching it and I have no urge to go into another room (unlike when she watches My 600-Pound Life).

In realistic terms, though, there is no way this zombie outbreak would’ve been apocalyptic. The whole point of Rick waking up long after is that they don’t have to show how the outbreak really could’ve ended civilization.

Influenza, the bubonic plague, smallpox - these were devastating because you could spread it without anyone knowing that you had it - or with other epidemics - the source was in the water or food. With this outbreak, the patient doesn’t become infectious until they are dead and reanimated. Before they die - even if they are infected, they are not going around biting people.

If you take walking dead realistically, it would’ve been contained much faster and more easily than the Marburg virus, for example. Now, if it was an airborne virus, that would be a problem.

No one becomes infectious because everyone is already infected. The virus only becomes lethal once you’ve died and reanimated.

So I guess we all know what the real answer is:

It’s a problem with most zombie fiction, I suppose. It mostly just plays on the idea that the initial chaos would be enough to overrun the major cities. Hospitals would be screwed during the initial outbreak. An outbreak at a hospital in a major metropolitan area could lead to a massive, city wide outbreak pretty quickly. High population density is a zombie viruses dream. Law enforcement would probably be in trouble too. Because no one knows what’s going on at first, it takes a while to figure out you have to damage their brain to stop them. So they get overrun in major cities too pretty quickly.

Where it usually loses me is the idea that the military couldn’t get it under control to some extent. But then if the virus activated out of the blue all over the country/world, they could get overwhelmed quickly too. Because where do they focus their attention? Resources would be limited, I suppose. And, at least in the metro areas, minutes would be crucial. So if the military doesn’t get on it right away it could go pretty wild. I don’t know, you have to extrapolate a lot and maybe suspend disbelief a bit, but you’re already talking about the dead coming back as mindless cannibals so…disbelief already suspended?

The first series of The Orville finished in the UK tonight. I wasn’t expecting a huge amount from this show when it was announced and watched it mainly as a MacFarlane fan than a Star Trek one. But pretty quickly it won me over. It is just Star Trek with real people, which it turns out is hugely enjoyable. I’m really looking forward to it returning next season (it is returning, right? Don’t tell me it’s been cancelled).

It’s coming back, but maybe not until 2019.

Bortus is great. Need more Bortus!