millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What are you watching? 2018 edition

Imagine you had never read a comic book. Maybe never even watched more than a minute or two of superhero television action. You know nothing much beyond the title and maybe a one-sentence synopsis. Without that rich background of information, without the kazillion or so hours of entertainment we at MillarWorld have ingested as a matter of survival in a cold, uncaring world, this could open up a whole new world. Wonder Woman for the ladies, Black Panther for the techies, Iron Man for those who might like to be a knight in armor.

Ebert and Maltin both do a good job in their reviews in trying to watch each film with fresh eyes. We should follow their example, and heighten our own enjoyment by taking each project for what it is.

And then bitch.

I feel Black Panther gave audiences something very different though.

In leaning heavily on the the African culture we got exposure to influences we very rarely see in movies at all, let alone superhero movies.
All the stuff with the different tribes was fascinating and there was a lot of variety in the movie.

I feel like it was the antheisis of Wonder Woman in this respect. The music, costumes, sets…all the aesthetic stuff felt new whereas Wonder Woman felt really derivative of movies that most of us have seen before.

The characters and acting in Black Panther were also a level above Wonder Woman and far more 3 dimensional and interesting, as was the plot and drama within.

I was asking earlier this year why ‘Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle’ was a hit?

People had theories about it being the Rock and the supporting cast and the light comedy and the timing etc. but there were no concrete answers that solved “the mystery”.

Some people just liked it more than I did.

Trying to figure this out will drive you mad.

I liked ‘Wonder Woman’. All the politics and the timing are true but, I just liked the movie more than some other people, and I still do.

That’s cool, but I think audiences feel differently :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Black Panther was a bit more unique, I’ll give you that. And it also made about $500 million more than Wonder Woman. But Wonder Woman still gave people something they wanted, which was a strong female superhero in the lead role. It may have been a bit more by the numbers, but it still scratched an itch.

Black Panther still isn’t as innovative to me as some people feel it is, but that’s fine. The setting is unique and the way race plays into everything is not something seen in superhero movies, but a lot of the basic plot felt pretty standard. I thought the CGI was down right awful at times, too, and that T’Challa was probably the worst thing in the whole movie which isn’t how I felt about Wonder Woman.

I enjoyed both movies, by the way, but also don’t feel much of a need to watch either again. The entertained me for 2+ hours and that’s cool by me. Both obviously connected with other people in much more meaningful ways. And that’s also cool.

The world war 1 setting was pretty unique. There’s never been a superhero movie set during that time period before.

There’s barely any movies set then at all. Before WW, the only other big WW1 movie of the last few decades was War Horse. https://www.boxofficemojo.com/genres/chart/?id=worldwari.htm

In terms of plot, they’re both terribly mediocre.

In terms of FX, WW has the better FX overall.

In terms of costume design, they’re both actually good, but BP is more visually interesting (at points at least).

In terms of acting… Pine was great, Gadot was serviceable, some of the other amazons were fine too… the whole of the BP cast is really good though.

In terms of villains… well Killmonger is certainly more interesting, but the “final battles” were both shite :smile:

In general, I’d give a slight edge to BP because it has more going on for it, but for me they’re both rather bland and uninspired and yeah, mediocre, movies, BUT only when comparing them to other movies of this kind. They’re obvioulsy both “good” in general terms.

I’m just catching up with this on iplayer. The first item seems to be that Howard Stableford has discovered how to cheat the ageing process.

I liked WW but mostly because of Gadot. The story was pretty meh and the ending was ridiculous.

I didn’t love Wonder Woman but if you look at movies that performed about the same then I don’t know if it’s worse.

It had solid world building, good casting, and a satisfying twist. I think if you hit those three check marks then audiences will forgive a lot of flaws.

To me, WW is kind of movie that DC should make with their Superman and Batman. Apart from that, I see it as the totally average down the book superhero film, that doesn’t set any standards, with only difference in the lead role - compared to the rest. SFX are well done, the movie isn’t overtly long and touches of humor are welcome. One thing I hate though is the main villain and the reason for Diana to save the world - corny.

Bitter Moon (Roman Polanski, 1992)

To start with “What the hell I just watched?” An English couple meets with a young French girl and her older disabled American husband, who starts telling the English husband about love and hate relationship with his French wife with strong s&m overtones (occasionally going into gross territory). It’s erotic film, psychodrama and black comedy in one.

Not certainly is one of Polanski’s finest efforts, it’s over long. Actually, if to be honest, it’s piece of s–t, but why I couldn’t stop watching it?

Professor Marston and the Wonder Women
I wasn’t really sure what to expect of this biopic about the creator(s) of Wonder Woman. It ends up being less about Wonder Woman - a lot of the details of which end up almost incidental - and mostly about the relationship between Marston, his wife and their lover Olive, mostly before Wonder Woman is created.

And that’s fine, because it ends up being a really nice, sweet film. Rebecca Hall i particular is great as Elizabeth Marston.

As ever with biopics, I am a little wary of how much is fabricated. The closing captions for instance imply that Wonder Woman was stripped of her super powers as soon as Marston died in ‘48, but that didn’t happen til nearly 20 years later. It distorts that to make Gloria Steinem putting her on a magazine cover more important, to tie into the general theme of feminism. The film also ignores Marston’s earlier work for National Comics (he did some essays about will power in All American Comics) but that’s fair enough.

Also, not enough’s really made of the initial framing device of Marston being grilled by a moral decency watchdog group (scenes which feature too little of Oliver Platt and Connie Britton) which sort of goes nowhere.

Beyond that though, it was pretty enjoyable.

Due to the recent push it got in terms of marketing this week, I decided to watch the original Child’s Play for the first time in a year or two. And hoo boy did it affect me in an entirely different way this time. I actually miss being scared by the original Child’s Play movie. Scarred me for years as a kid. Because that’s better than realizing that it’s one of the most depressing horror movies ever made.

I feel emotionally drained by the 45min mark now.
Gotta say…it holds up.

That’s about where I am with BP and WW. Which is roughly where all the MCU films have been too. Gadot being attractive and charismatic makes up for the film’s ending being maybe a fair bit worse than most superhero film endings, which are generally not very good to start with.

The scene with the batteries is still amazing.

From what I understand Marston’s estate was deeply upset with the film.

‘The Nun’ has pretty much finished it’s theatrical run, but I finally caught it at a late night screening yesterday.

Firstly, I don’t think it’s very good. Most of these ‘Conjuring Universe’ movies are a step down from the core movies, and this is no exception. Corin Hardy just isn’t as good at generating a spooky atmosphere or building dread as James Wan is.

The dialogue is very by the numbers. It’s another film that has text, rather than subtext. People just tell you what they think or feel or what’s going on. They might not tell you right away, but it’s not interested in making you work, even in a fun way. You don’t have to figure out anything.

The cast do their best, but only Taissa Farmiga gets anything half-decent to work with.

What I did like was the gothic, Central European, Hammer horror style the movie uses a lot of the time. I haven’t seen this much dry ice fog in years!

There are a few good set pieces but nothing that really stands out from the crowd. It was fun seeing it with an audience, I’m not sure how it’ll work on TV.

Really? Any idea of which bits? There’s some moments of conflict that I could see being entirely manufactured to add drama, and Luke Evans doesn’t look at all like Marston, but generally it seems like they come out of it pretty well.

I don’t look like Luke Evans either, but I’d be ok with him portraying me in a movie.

I have a better appreciation of Luke Evans due to his performance in The Alienist alongside Daniel Bruhl.