millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What are you watching? 2018 edition

I’m about 20 minutes from the end of episode 1 of Mystery Science Theatre 3000: The Gauntlet. The movie this time is Mac and Me, and it makes no sense at all. The reputation is totally earned and in all earnestness this is only watchable with people taking the piss over the top of the audio track.

I binged S2 and most of S3 of The Last Kingdom… I remember watching S1 but don’t actually remember the contents of the show,which means I probably wasn’t too impressed with it… but S2 & 3 definetly caught my attention a lot more, so I’m thinking the show improved quite a bit… or my memory is just going to shit… :smile:

I’m watching ‘Tomorrow’s World: Live’ on BBC4;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcfour

It’s a one night only return of the BBC’s science show that concentrated on new and innovative applied and/or consumer technology.

I loved Tomorrow’s World as a kid.

Are they doing it fairly straight or is it a nostalgic look-back show?

It’s both, it’s on for 90 miniutes so they have time.

I might have to check that out on iplayer.

Not yet, but I remember reading about it. I’ll check it out one of these days.

I’m watching a couple of Dutch documentaries on the Dutroux case. My God is this some sordid shit. There was plenty of evidence on a pedo ring involving politicians and other prominent people, none of whom were ever arrested.

I’m watching the 1966 animated How the Grinch Stole Christmas. Between Boris Karloff’s spot on narration and Chuck Jones’ lush animation, this is just perfection.

Afterwards, they played a short based on the current CGI movie featuring Max the dog. It was quite bland and hollow.

I think there is a found footage movie called SPECTER that takes that approach. Never saw it, but it is apparently available for free on Youtube.

I have a feeling it is on Netflix over here. I think I passed by it a few times but thought it looked a bit to b-movie-ish for me these days.

One that I found unusually entertaining was Lunopolis. It took all the crazy conspiracy theories and made a good indy movie out of them.

Are you thinking of Spectral? It’s your bog standard SF action horror thing

Spectral is notable only for being the first big studio movie to go straight-to-Netflix after Universal realised it would bomb in cinemas. It cost $70M and is completely forgettable.

Yeah that’s probably the thing I’m thinking of.

It’s also notable for being Aliens with ghosts.

I’ve seen Lunopolis. It’s a bit of a confused mess though the ending is neat. It feels very much like a part of that glut of found footage films that came out immediately after Blair Witch despite being made over a decade later.

The found footage films are generally problematic for me. Even ones that I like - like CHRONICLE - are hard to watch more than once.

However, I generally like many of the faux documentary films. A couple of good examples of those are LAKE MONGO and SAVAGELAND. I think it offers a much more engrossing approach than the found footage.

I don’t really watch mainline network sitcoms that much anymore. The only two I still do are The Good Place and Superstore. So dang good.

But the other day my brother and I decided to binge Great News on Netflix. I had seen ads about it on NBC for ages but never got into it. I regret that now because it was the best sitcom we had seen since 30 Rock. Which it is also clearly riffing off of - and very effectively too. The first season is as sharp, witty, and gutbusting as anything from 30 Rock’s heyday. The second season is a bit more standard but still pretty good.

It’s a damn shame it was cancelled. Way too soon.

I’ve never heard of that. I’ll have to keep an eye out for it.

One sitcom I’ve been watching lately and finding surprisingly enjoyable is Fresh Off The Boat. Constance Wu and Randall Park are both great in it. Wu’s character especially could easily be a “tiger mom” cliche but the writing and Wu manage to bring a decent amount of depth to it.

The 34th

As everyone should be aware, in 2015 Ireland voted yes to legalise marriage equality by a significant majority. And three years after that monumental decision, this documentary details the history of the campaign, starting almost a decade before the vote, going through the landmark court case when Katherine Zappone and Ann Louise Gilligan sued the state to recognise their marriage in Canada, the formation of an activist group specifically to campaign for marriage, the division when Civil Unions were legalised, the continued drive, the constitutional convention and ultimately the referendum campaign.

It’s a mix of file footage, interviews with principal campaigners and soundbites from other figures, your standard documentary stuff. But it’s incredibly powerful stuff. This is at least in part for me because I remember so many of these events, that I was involved in some of them, and that I know a couple of the people being interviewed.

It’s fascinating as well because so much of what the campaigners said parallels the repeal campaign. The trajectory of public recognition, internal struggling, disparate groups who didn’t always agree working together, the exact same horrible people attacking us in the media… It’s uncanny.

I’m not going to lie, I teared up a lot watching this, it’s a fantastic retelling of a landmark campaign, But it ends on a heartbreaking note - Katherine Zappone for all her faults (I think she’s been a disaster as an elected politician) lost her wife last year, but her last interview - the closing one of the documentary was filmed while Ann Louise Gilligan was still alive but was in hospital at the time. It’s horribly tragic that these two women, who lived together for decades only got to live together, their marriage equal to mine for two years.