millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What are you watching? 2018 edition

I suspect that is out of their hands, it’s an independent production that was out in cinemas only a few weeks back. Most likely they’ve given the BBC that window looking for some DVD/streaming revenue down the line.

The comic has zero original thoughts to it. And it gets worse as it goes along.
If anything, the show downplays how much the source ran on ripping off other materials.

I can’t believe I’m defending this show in some way. Ack.

Yeah, I’ve not seen it in full either, just bits and pieces here and there.

We haven’t picked up a new show to watch regularly at home, having finished Breaking Bad a few weeks back. I’d be happy with Better Call Saul, with the other option being The Americans (both would be rewatches for the wife).

Surprised I haven’t seen anything on the Ballad of Buster Scruggs here.

I’ve seen some people shitting on it on Twitter, but I thought it was delightful! The usual impeccable filmmaking, beautiful to look at, and it swerves between different tones like a sleek sports car, going from some of the silliest stuff the Coens have ever done to some of the darkest and back, sometimes blending the two. Really great stuff.

I was going to make a post the other night when I watched it but wanted to mull on it more.

I really enjoyed it.
But some of the stories are really holding it up more than others. There’s something striking about each, but only half feel like proper narratives. The others are snap shots. Still, a good reminder that the Coens still have their penchant for dark comedy after Hail Caesar.

I was working part time in the cinema as a teen when it came out. The manager urged us to go and see it as it was playing to one man and a dog and he had to take it out of the schedule after a week despite him thinking it was amazing (he always thought the title was what killed it).

The group of us became evangelists for it but it took several years after the video release for it to reach the standing it has now. I think it was the early 90s until I heard people start to write and talk about it in the same glowing tones. A real slow-burn hit.

The Fargo film also veered seamlessly between humor and extreme violence, and remains one of those things I will watch whenever I find it on the television.

It’s really their bread and butter.
Burn After Reading is one of their funniest and violent as well.

We went to see it yesterday. Visually it was gorgeous but overall I feel the same as you. Why the director told Smaug to imitate Ed Helms is something I’ll never figure out. Maybe because this Grinch seems less sinister than the one in the original?
As for his backstory, it feels like padding since the overall story was half-assed.

I saw Fantastic Beasts 2 today. I enjoyed it but also fully recognise the criticisms. I’ve never seen a family aimed fantasy movie with so much talking before. The film opens on a great action scene and then that’s more or less all you get until the end (there’s a couple of brief bits in the middle).

Now I like world-building and the complex relationships and family revelations so that worked for me and as Mike says the acting is as good as usual in these films and there are some lovely things to look at in the scenes of 1920s New York, London and Paris. Any problems are with the script and story structure and I can see kids being really bored by it even though I wasn’t really.

I even liked Johnny Depp, I think he hammed it up to the right level, he’s a fantasy bad guy so needs to be a bit over the top but for him he seemed to keep it more restrained than usual.

I finally watched Annihilation and it was superb. Really lured me in and kept me there right until the end.

Although there’s (at least tonally) some similarities in places to Under the Skin and maybe Arrival it felt original which is a big thing for me nowadays as I feel I’m often going thru the motions, mostly due to drowning in franchises and superhero movies, but any movie that feels different and less predictable immediately gets my attention.

The sound was brilliant and I felt it worked just fine watching at home despite visuals being a really important aspect.

Portman was excellent as well as was Isaac’s understated performance.
Another top effort from Garland.

Yeah, it’s quite a good movie, and it is understandable that people don’t talk about it much mainly because it is an anthology and those often don’t get a lot of attention. If the stories had been more intertwined, that might’ve been different, but it really works as planned.

Apparently, they’ve been working on it since 2001 and I suspect Ethan Coen actually wrote the short stories for each segment before writing the screenplay. It feels like it takes place in the world of TRUE GRIT for the most part. Each part of the stories are very well constructed with the Ballad of Buster Scruggs and The Gal Who Got Rattled being the most entertaining and involving respectively. Most of the well-known actors are pretty unrecognizable at first except for James Franco, I think. Franco turned in a really good performance for such a short piece.

In the end, it is a particularly dark comedy with each segment providing its own attraction.

Would it help if I said I have no idea what She-Ra is?

It’s from the 80s, so from your perspective, it hasn’t been made yet.

Ah, well that does explain the problem then, as I suspected. It’s obviously rubbish, but some forumites’ views are being coloured by nostalgia.

I think it being based on a SF novel helped with that (just like Arrival was based on a short story). When I watched it I was reminded a lot of that tranche of SF movies in the 70s that were high-concept, visually adventurous, and somewhat indecipherable. But in a good way.

It’s a very loose adaptation. Really, it’s mostly just the same initial premise with almost none of the same actual specifics as the book. I love them both.

I’m glad of that though really. A more ‘faithful’ adaptation of the book would have made for a largely fairly dull movie, as so much of the book is about what is happening internally.

They were right to make the choices they did, and I think they translated the spirit of the novel pretty well.

One thing that always bugs me a little bit about Garland’s sci-fi movies (which I all love!) is that they don’t go quite all out sci-fi like I would like them to. Sunshine, Ex Machina and Annihilation all had great sci-fi elements in them, but ended comparatively conventionally.

Are you suggesting he remakes The Beach and ends it with an alien invasion?