millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What are you watching? 2018 edition

I agree with this - I think the series peaked with Goblet of Fire. I think moving away from the structure of the school was a mistake, part of the appeal was this dependable terribly British setting that would continue every day despite being under all sorts of outside threats. There was a huge comfort for kids in that there was always school no matter what.

There’s a better story there where Voldemort is this terrorist like threat and the kids still get on with things (like a Blitz type story). The horcruxes and the deathly hallows were clearly macguffins that padded out the story, and they made a mess of the final chapters. I get the feeling neither was part of the original plan, but were added when the books because hugely successful and there was a desire to stretch out the story.

Pretty much, but that’s the QT way - all his movies are self indulgent. You just ride with it because it’s still entertaining. He’s a jazz director who sticks in a whole bunch of stuff that others would leave behind, but it works for him.

I think 2 part movies are on the whole bad ideas - that 2-3 hour experience needs a satisfying ending to really make the movie work. In what’s maybe the best unresolved movie ever, Empire Strikes Back, there’s still a level of ending to it. I think you just need to hit the right tone.

Or Back to the Future Part II

Yeah, for some reason I can’t remember, I saw Part 2 years after Part 1 and was mostly disappointed.

Part 2 gets better and better with rewatches

Kill Bill is in my top 5 movies of all time, albeit much of that is down to music and style, however I’ve probably now watched Kill Bill 2 as many times.

I love both of those movies, seen them both about a dozen times and talking about them makes me want to put them back on again.

I think the showdown with Bill is one of my favourite movie moments ever. It’s a lot more emotional than I expected it would be.

I agree with the faction that find both really boring.
Some nice setpieces, but not worth sitting through to get.

I was a little disappointed with Kill Bill v.1 when I first saw it - it felt like style over substance, despite being very stylish indeed.

Then I liked volume two a lot better - it had all that missing substance - and it actually raised my opinion of the first one.

Nowadays I tend to think of them as a single story, to the extent that I often forget exactly which bits are in each volume.

Just finished the second season of Making a Murderer. I was a little worried going in that this would fall a little flat because now this story is a major new piece the element of surprise is mostly gone.

It still really works though, a huge part of that being the presence of Avery’s new lawyer, Kathleen Zellner. I don’t know if the term ‘alpha female’ exists but if it did it applies to her, supremely confident and often openly critical of the other lawyers you feel she’s good enough to back it up. It focuses in a lot more on evidence and the legal system and she uncovers some shocking stuff on suppressed evidence in the original trial and who may have done it if Steven Avery and Brendan Dassey didn’t.

Both Kill Bill (1&2) and the Matrix Reloaded/Revolutions suffer from the same self-indulgement… they’re both essentially one story padded with overly-long action sequences and dialogue sequences, and they both came out around the same time (after LOTR) so I reckon it was also a thing of its time, which carried over to other movies (HP & HG) but I don’t think we’ve seen something like that recently, so I guess it’s a fad that’s over…

Although, we’ll see because both Infinity War and Justice league were supposed to be 2-parters. JL2 is dead, and IW barely got away with not making it part one, because it is a somewhat full story (from the villain’s perspective), but not really… so we’ll see how they deal with the next one, if it’s an obvious part 2 or if they manage to do a semi-complete movie.

Infinity Wars is a complete film – it has a beginning, a middle, and an end in which the main plot of the story is resolved (although not the way most viewers wanted). In that respect, it is no different than The Empire Strikes Back, which many people view as the best of the Star Wars franchise.

Or Back to the Future Part II

Or Antichrist part 1.

Considering 2 part movies basically double the box office with only a small increase in production costs it’s a wonder there’s not many more of them. Particularly with what seems to be sure fire franchises.

Kill Bill Volumes 1 and 2 are pretty distinct, though. Vol. 1 is all about the cool styling; it was literally Tarantino indulging that reputation he’d made in Pulp Fiction to the nth degree, what was entirely missing from Jackie Brown, why nobody talks about Jackie Brown (despite a wicked cool performance from Robert Forster and that you have actors like Robert De Niro and Chris Tucker in a Quentin Tarantino movie). Whereas Vol. 2 is Tarantino once again trying to get away from that sense that he’s more style than substance.

Put it this way: Vol. 2 is Tarantino getting back to that idea Reservoir Dogs was about before everyone fixated on the violence, that it’s really a story about conversations, built around what people will and won’t tell each other. That’s Vol. 2 in a nutshell, why it culminates in a conversation between Bill and the Bride. And that’s why Inglourious Basterds was such a revelation after it, because suddenly you have Christoph Waltz shattering the screen interrogating this French farmer, in total control, and it goes beyond anything else Tarantino has done before, this rich tension that’s missing from that scene with Bill and the Bride because we know from the very beginning of Kill Bill that there’s no chance the Bride won’t get her revenge. But Waltz is in total control!

And then you have Hateful Eight, which is Reservoir Dogs pushed to extreme levels, seemingly no escape. And the best scene in Django Unchained is Waltz, again, pushing Leonardo DiCaprio to the breaking point, and this time Tarantino ends it with Waltz’s death, and it’s the best death scene he’s ever done in a film, and the most sudden.

These are detective movies. These are superhero movies. But without the detectives, without the superheroes. Tarantino revels in the wild fringes. He and Grant Morrison are cut from the same cloth. But I admire Kill Bill Vol. 2 for allowing the Bride to be a superhero, and for showing restraint in a way even Unbreakable didn’t, what we wouldn’t allow in a million years in an MCU movie. If Waltz’s death in Django is perfect, the Bride’s victory in Vol. 2 is karmic perfection. It’s completely telegraphed, but it still comes off as unexpected tragedy. You end up believing these two crazy people really did love each other.

Jackie Brown is so good, it’d be a bit redundant to just talk about how great it is.

(In all seriousness, I liked but didn’t love it in the cinema, I was totally expecting some OTT blaxploitation thing, like all of the excesses of Pulp Fiction, and obviously that’s not what I got. But watching it again it’s easily my favourite of Tarantino’s early movies. Django Unchained is the only one that comes close to beating it, though I’ve not watched Hateful Eight yet)

That pretty much describes all of his Tarantino’s post-Kill Bill work for me. Each one of the post-Kill Bill movies could have been bad ass two hour movies instead of three hours of me checking my watch.

It’s worth it. I think it’s on Netflix now.

I saw that, I just haven’t got around to it yet. Netflix has added a lot of good movies recently.

Yeah I pretty much agree. I quickly burned out on Tarantino after Kill Bill.

Same. It doesn’t help that he really went all in on the revenge fantasy theme at that point. The guy is clearly very talented, but at this point he’s not really making movies I want to see anymore. Maybe Once Upon a Time in Hollywood will change things for me thematically, but it’ll probably still be longer than it needs to be.

Can’t be any longer Once Upon A Time In America.