millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What are you watching? 2018 edition

12 year old me loved that film…I can’t imagine why :thinking:

Here’s a hint:

Rated R for violence and nudity/sexuality

Is American Horror Story very popular? I’ve watched about the firstsix episodes of the first season and first three episodes of Season 6 (? - the one called Cult) as well as a couple episodes of other seasons (Roanoke and Hotel) and I am baffled by it. After all these episodes, I can’t think of anything about them that could appeal to anyone.

Yeah I couldn’t get through the first season and recently tried Roanoke, which I thought started interestingly, and Cult, which was just a mess from start to finish, and just don’t get way it’s popular.

It does very well with some particular sets of demographics.

And, let me tell you, they’re not interested in getting scared.

Suffice to say, folks, Black Panther is the dramatic reading of Coming to America.

I actually kinda like that movie… and not just for the T&A… it’s not THAT bad… :smile:

Continuing re-watching all of the movies I own in chronological order and writing a wee bit about each one. Still in the mid 70s:

Jaws

Still great but there isn’t much to say here. We showed Conor and he liked but wasn’t scared and was pretty non-plussed. He even went swimming in the ocean the next day. It is funny, after owning a business in a tourist town I’ve come to sympathize more with mayor (although forcing people to swim is a step too far). Along those lines there’s a message here about how our lives are all served up as sacrifice on the smorgasbord of capitalism, but it is a little rich coming from the movie that turned Hollywood into all those half-assed fishermen setting off to land the shark and win a payday.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

There was a time when I found this funny but that was a long time ago. It’s clever, but I don’t think clever is a compliment the way I maybe did as a teenager. I do still like the acting in the “witch” scene and bits of the marriage scene.

Nashville

Probably the best American movie ever made, and the best movie about America ever made. Rare, even within Altman’s oeuvre, of having the characters in the background of one scene be the main characters in the next scene and vice versa, which is one of its ultimate charms and what helps everything swirl to a fine point in the climax. It also has some of the best music of any film—for almost my entire life I get “It Don’t Worry Me” stuck in my head at least once a month.

Logan’s Run

The film’s second half is terrible and not worth mentioning. I was surprised by the casually bisexual undertones throughout the first half, implying homoeroticism and same-sex coupling of both genders without making a big deal about it. I don’t know if bisexual lighting was a thing back then but a lot of the corridors and sets were cast in those hues as well. Aside from the music in the film’s first half, this is the only interesting thing about the movie.

Network
First, we can all agree that the “Mad as Hell” scene, while neat, shouldn’t be the famous one—that should be the Ned Beatty scene, which rings far more true today and is both acted and shot with more aplomb. Anyway, every few years someone drags this movie back up to exclaim how prophetic it is—as this has been going decades, it’s fair to say it’s about the times no matter what the times, as American as Nashville. This is a testament to the script, which is somehow both better and sightly worse than we always remember (the romance and the stuff with the revolutionaries doesn’t fully work outside of some yuks), but it is eternally prescient. Watching it now, of course, it’s odd to see it forecast a world in which news and entertainment and rage blur so tightly that a reality TV show star with a message of hate could actually become president. It’s unlikely, but it could happen.

Ah, Jenny Agutter… :heart::heart:

She is still my favorite thing about the movie.

It’s a pretty terrible movie. It’s funny, it came out a year before Star Wars but feels like it’s of another era entirely.

The “Mad as Hell” speech is more of a call to action whereas the “Corporate Cosmology” speech is a very scary and disturbing truth. And gets truer everyday. Network is still one of my all-time favorite films.

Did I mention that I watched Elysium? Everybody was right about that movie.

I’ve come to view Network like Fight Club - a movie that tries really hard to sell you a view that this is what the world is, but one that doesn’t hold up when you really consider things. It’s Nihilism viewing, if you’re into that sort of thing, but I can’t buy into it.

I’ve finally finished watching Banshee. I started back in Jan 2017 I think, so that’s nearly 20 months to watch the series. I don’t watch much TV these days.

The first season is excellent. Hadn’t seen any show like this, the fights, the drama, the over the top characters - I loved it. The second season was nearly it’s equal. I thought things dropped somewhat in the third season, like they went in the wrong direction right when they needed to amp things up further. And the fourth season was a waste of time and really shouldn’t have been made. Overall it was a fun show, but not one that would go in my top TV shows list.

Just finished the original two Swamp Thing movies for the first time.
And they’re both interesting in different ways.

The first has a rather good first act, but it’s really hobbled by a weak villain with meandering writing. Not helped that the movie seems to slow down after the transformation, rather than pick up any sort of energy. Still - Ray Wise as Alec Holland was rather good and the nice amiability of that entire set-up chunk had good momentum to it.

The sequel I would like better if it wasn’t written worse. It tries to have more of the outlandish and crazy energy that you’d see in the early comics - and its Un-Men designs do vary from good-to-decent. But more often than not it always tips its hand a bit too far into kinda annoying. Trying too hard to be campy sort of thing. The first’s version of Arcane being grandfathered in and Abby and Alec having not much chemistry also keep it from being an engaging viewing.

Still, it’s interesting to see these as attempts to try and bring this character to screen. I hope the new show learns from, and brings in, the stuff it either missed or hit with.

Humphrey Ker is on the newest episode of It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia. I previously only knew him from British radio stuff, so I had no idea he was 6’7" tall.

We’ve been watching Hilda, a new kids show on Netflix with a nice gentle fantasy vibe and a beautifully simple and clean art style.

It’s one of those shows that I find quite relaxing to have on (the understated, ambient music helps), but there’s plenty of amusing humour and cool creature designs to hold kids’ interest too.

Well worth checking out.

Based on a very popular series of comics too.

I’d never even heard of the comics! I’ll have to check those out.

This arrived last night.

Love the retro packaging!

I’m not sure how good a shot-on-videotape series like this can ever really look in HD, but I’m looking forward to revisiting it either way. And they’ve packed tons of new extra features onto this set that will be fun to work through.