millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What are you watching? 2018 edition

Dunno if this needs it’s own thread, but will float it here anyhow.

What do you folks think is the Most Accurate Adaptation?

Many films (pretty much talking film or feature-length here, I think, as episodic television is derivative and extrapolative by nature) play fast and loose with the original materiel; Sometimes retaining as little as the title and skeleton of a plot and maybe a character or two. (Wanted) Sometimes they try to be true but the writer/director/producers just can’t stop diddling with it and “putting our own spin on it” (Watchmen). Some change plot elements to continue a franchise (James Bond is killed by Rosa Klebs’ poisoned shoe knife in the From Russia With Love novel - one of several times Fleming killed Bond.) And some bring the novel to life or even expand just enough to fill out the corners (Lord of the Rings - but very much NOT most of The Hobbit films).

So, what films do you feel most accurate as a realisation to screen? Do you prefer close-with-a-new-twist, or just make the movie?

Personally, so far I think On Her Majesty’s Secret Service is closest to a direct adaptation. Y’all?

Probably Rosemary’s Baby. If you’ve seen the movie first the adaptation is so close that the book is almost boring. There are a few changes, but comparatively minor and it’s a testament to Ira Levin’s near-perfect structure.

2001: A Space Odyssey.

You may be right, but I was too close (emotionally as a kid) with the movie and read the books much, much later, and it’s one of few that I can’t be very objective about.

To be fair, the book and movie were developed/written together based on Clarke’s short story. Kubrick purposefully delayed signing off on the book so the film would come out first.

Yeah, the only big difference between the two is that Odyssey One goes to Saturn in the novel and Jupiter in the movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001:A_Space_Odyssey(novel)#Differences_from_the_film

:wink:

It’s more a testatment to Polanski’s obsession with adapting the book exactly. There’s a famous story about how Polanski contacted Levin about which specific issue number of a magazine Rosemary was reading in one scene so that he could get it for the film only for Levin to admit that no such issue existed and he had made it up.

I rewatched Band of Brothers over the last couple nights. I haven’t seen it since it was originally on tv, but man, it still holds up. Fantastic battle scenes and a really well told, and powerful story.

Caught up on this week’s Krypton

(Uk is on ep4)

I continue to be impressed with the costume and set designs and how well made they all are.
It’s a terrific and creative looking show.

Whoever is behind the aesthetics of it is brilliant.

As for the show, I’m surprised by how much I’m enjoying it. Seg is a bit of a nonentity, but there’s some good characters here, I like the Voice of Rao stuff and I’m intrigued by all the emerging factions and their motivations - there appears to be be a bit of a game of thrones influence.

Also, we have the spectre of Brianic looming over it all which I like the drip feeding of.

Episode 4?
You’re really going to enjoy the back half then.

I saw The Predator tonight. :exploding_head:

I don’t think that I’ve managed to select the proper emoji yet. Full thoughts to come later.

Based purely on the trailer, if you’re thinking then you’re probably doing it wrong.

I’m looking forward to finding out if it’s as bad as Predator.

Sin City

Catching up with the new series of Upstart Crow on the iPlayer (I watched the first series but missed the second - this is the third). It’s one of those old-fashioned throwback sitcoms that feels like it should be naff, but is self-aware enough that it works, and actually throws in a lot of silly gags each episode that make me laugh.

I like the ludicrously knowing nods to Shakespeare and the regular puncturing of scholarly theories and received wisdom about his work. David Mitchell is pretty funny and makes a buffoonish not-as-clever-as-he-thinks-he-is Shakespeare work pretty well.

But it’s the supporting cast that really make it - I’ve always loved Mark Heap and he’s the best thing in this as a sneering pantomime villain. And Shakespeare’s acting troupe is full of fun bit-part players that are essentially single-gag characters, but done well.

Historical sitcoms with anachronistic gags and silly plots like this are always going to be compared with Blackadder (the first series even had a cameo from a minor Blackadder character), and obviously it’s not at that level, but it feels like it’s better than it should be - more than the sum of its parts, somehow.

I absolutely love Upstart Crow. The first series was almost banal bar one episode but since that Ben Elton has got his teeth out more and more, several episodes in series two tackled modern issues quite brilliantly. They’ve really went with that aspect now in the third, this week’s episode managing to deconstruct immigration and bigotry while absolutely lampooning Mark Rylance over his belief that Shakespeare didn’t write any of his plays.

I imagine there are even more Shakespearean injokes I’m not getting but in general the show is funny and daft and thoughtful and pretty much ticks all the right boxes for a BBC sitcom. I love it. And the theme tune leaves a massive smile on my face.

If you get a chance to watch the second series Dave, definitely do!

Annoyingly, Netflix has series one but not series two, or I would have started with the second before the third.

Really good to see Ben Elton back doing something at this level again - but as with a lot of sitcoms it’s as much down to the cast really making the most of it.

I agree. At the begining I was amazed they’d gotten such a good cast considering the material at the begining, but I assume Elton told them where it was going. They’ve had some fantastic guests too.

I have a feeling the first two seasons were completely written before the first was even finished, the second came along quite quick and they released all six to stream on the same day. It doesn’t feel like that long ago so could be why it’s taking time to get on Netflix.

Yeah, Netflix is often a year or so behind the BBC, which fits. (Probably the same reason they don’t have Detectorists series three yet.)