millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What are you watching? 2018 edition

I thought it was completely unwatchable. I couldn’t make it to the end. My kid likes it I guess.

I was intrigued by the setting but thought they skimped on the period details too much, so it felt weirdly bare and not lived in, compared to Hogwarts which always felt lived in and believable.

I’d have to double check his imdb page but I don’t think I’ve ever liked Redmayne in anything. There’s something off and unpleasant about him.

I thought it was okay, but I’ve never been a big fan of the HP films, as I like the books too much.

It gets a lot better Vik, particularly with the second half of the season.

I had a lot of the same problems with the characters that you did. I still do to an extent. The Klingons also annoyed me.

But the first 2 episodes of the second half are gobsmacking.

I think it’s worth your time to persevere. Some of the characters become a bit more interesting as well, although it’s still the show’s biggest problem.

The Klingons become more likeable once you get used to the change.

I’m glad to hear I’m not the only person who thought fantastic beats was total dross. It was just super boring.

Caught Bright and The Cloverfield Paradox.
Neither were amazing, but neither were awful either. They were decent enough middle of the road entertainment that required little effort from me.

There’s a lot fewer scenes in the Klingon language as it goes on, which definitely helps. Those scenes were pretty interminable.

You kind of have to stick with it through the early parts, it’s not overly apparent what anything means to the larger structure but by the 12th or 13th episode it feels a bit like you’ve been watching one long, pretty awesome, film.

The second half of the season ramps up in a whole different way and all the boring stuff at the start pays off in a very worthwhile way.

I think pretty much everyone on the DISCO thread were pretty unconvinced to a point, until the second half of the season, but now even those with real issues seem to be enjoying it a fair bit.

Yeah definitely

I felt the same, that once the Klingons were speaking in English they stopped annoying me as much - in fact I kinda grew to like them in some scenes

Cheers, guys. I’ll give it another go after we’ve finished up with Sense8. I suspect it’s lost the wife entirely though. She’s even less enthused about it than I am.

How are you finding Sense8? It’s one of my favourite shows of recent years.

It’s pretty amazing. I didn’t quite know what to expect, but it’s brilliant. As I said earlier, it’s probably a little more explicit than it needs to be in places, but I adore the characters and it looks gorgeous.

I’m probably not an impartial viewer though; I’ve always liked The Wachowski’s and I love Straczynski’s work.

It’s the best thing that JMS has done since Thor.

Didn’t like it, didn’t bother with S2… felt like a bad soap-opera with better production… Some characters were better than others though IIRC, but they kept coming back to the bad ones… u_u

Did you ever read Ten Grand? If not, that’s definitely worth a punt too. It’s JMS treading on similar ground to his earlier Midnight Nation. The art takes a bit of getting used to, but works quite well with the mood of the piece.

I debated it, but I took the artist leaving after the first arc as a bad sign. Did it finish up well?

Also I know I’m pretty late here but I’ve just watched Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon for the first time and it’s pretty good.
The fight among the trees is beautiful.

I watched it last night, and yeah that all sums it up pretty well. It’s definitely a bit rough around the edges, particularly in the final act. That last act makes the main character look pretty terrible in some respects and also kind of undermines itself. Namely he’s allegedly been in love with this girl for 3 years, but doesn’t seem to know much about her at all. Also, coming to the conclusion that he and the girl aren’t meant to be should have been enough. Making him realize the best friends was his true soul mate all along kind of undercuts that for me. Especially when the conclusion he comes to was “I was supposed to meet this girl just so I could meet her best friend”. It really diminishes what should have been an important friendship for him. At least, for me.

But yeah, it was an okay way to spend 90 minutes.

Wonder Woman debuted on HBO last night, and SpiderMan Homecoming was on one of the stations this morning, so that was a treat. I also watched The Mummy in the afternoon. I liked Tom Cruise’s rogue, and Russell Crowe’s Jekyll/Hyde was decent, but I’m glad I didn’t spend money to see this in theaters.

Also, Olympics.

Oh, I mostly agree with your view on that aspect of the ending. That’s the part I said that they should have spent more time early on developing. From the beginning it was obvious what would happen, but without the necessary leg-work in the actual narrative it - like I’ve stated - hampers the romance.

He and the best friend have a pretty cute repore, I felt, throughout the movie but it’s only a minute or two at a time. The ending feels so rushed, and really I felt the big negative was that he doesn’t attempt to win her back naturally - but still just goes over again. IMO the better scenario would have him accepting his second defeat, but then putting the work in later on. Maybe some rumination at how even this "ideal night"
version of him let the burgeoning halloween romance fade.

The best RomComs have play at growth. This did the minimal.

I’d like to rewatch three since reading up on the stuff about how it came to be and how the film was a bit meta in terms of Coppola’s dealings with the studio.

Yes. It’s jarring at first, as the styles do not complement each other. But, I thought the story strong enough to overcome that. Pick it up if you can get it for a decent price. It’s good stuff.