millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What are you watching? 2018 edition

Watched the televised version of Stewart Lee’s Content Provider last night. Having seen it on tour I already knew the material and knew I would like it, but it’s always interesting to see another performance of the same set and see what subtle changes have been made - and the TV version adds some fun interludes with Lee being questioned by a deadpan Alan Moore.

Overall it’s just a great two hours of material, very clever but also very funny, brilliantly constructed, and touching on some interesting subjects (more than once I was reminded of the current conversation in the ‘diversity’ thread).

Although this ‘review’ might be even more amusing than the show itself.

In contrast to the previous three episodes, the fourth installment of Castle Rock feel curiously rushed. Just barging forth into various plot beats we could all see coming just not parsed out with any elegance.

I have been watching all of the movie I own on DVD/Blu in chronological order, and posting thoughts on Facebook after 5 or so, sometimes more thoughts than other. I am a slow watcher so I will never actually finish this, but I’m in the early 70s now and here are the last ten I saw:

Don’t Look Now is one of the greatest films ever, the best use of the color red in any movie, an unshakable blur across the consciousness, the color of intuition and ultimately fate.

Friends of Eddie Coyle, The Long Goodbye, and Mean Streets vividly reflect the cities of Boston, LA, and NYC, three of my favorite cities in the 1970s. All three films are very different and are masterful on their own terms, guided tours through the eclectic underbellies of these distinct cities back when they were a bit more distinct, and meticulously detailed and engrossing places to spend a few hours.

O Lucky Man: It’s funny to see this movie again so soon after “Sorry to Bother You”. It’s clearly a partial template for that film, right down to a very, very similar left-field plot twist. I’m surprised more people haven’t used this film’s “greek chorus” approach to the band and soundtrack (“There’s Something About Mary” sort of does), although it’s hard to replicate the era of sarcastic singer-songwriters that produced the Newmans, Nilssons, and Alan Prices of the world. Harder still to replicate the era of peak Malcolm McDowell and Helen Mirren sex appeal.

Disney’s Robin Hood I had always liked this one as a kid, mostly for the Roger Miller tunes and the archery contest. It wasn’t until I was an adult that I learned this movie was a sexual awakening of sorts for a lot of people, primarily young girls? I guess Robin and Maid Marion are much more sensual than they need to be for a cartoon, but I still can’t relate. What I do notice now as a parent, even though my kids don’t give a crap about this movie, is how kind the characters are to one another. It’s a nice break from current animated movies where everyone is rude. Maybe all the girls were into Robin Hood for his personality.

Ssssss We almost let our kid watch this and wisely decided against it—for the rest of his life he’d have to say that the first movie that really freaked him out (after Pee Wee’s Big Adventure) is this terrible B movie from 1974 about people turning into snakes. But there is something undeniably freaky about being violently transformed into a reptile against your will via cheap special effects.

The Wicker Man The most delightful thing about this movie, undeniably one of the best of all time, is watching the stuffy constable who is so deeply entrenched in the Catholic and policeman patriarchy grow more and more indignant until he goes full Daffy Duck when faced with—well, not a matriarchy but something where the genders are on a little more equal footing. I’m not sure why this movie has always been labeled a horror when it’s clearly a comedy complete with a happy ending.

Godfather 2 Not much to say here. With all the greatness of this movie, Pacino’s eyes are the star—they swim through the film like the fin on the shark in Jaws, eventually devouring everything. A stray observation: when I was younger I swore this was the better film, but now I think the first one is. (Both are, obviously, masterpieces, and this is splitting hairs). The inky blacks of the cinematography look absolutely incredible on this relatively recent Blu Ray release—you could watch this movie with the sound off.

I’ve said this before - but the first really did have a refined and very engaging story.
This second is engaging as well, but it’s not a story that really does anything new with the characters/premise.

When I was a kid, I loved this movie. I had so much fun with it. I don’t think I have seen it since I was a child in the 1970s.

I really love this film for a lot of the same reason especially the Roger Miller songs. I had no idea about the sexual overtones.

I can’t remember if Pee Wee’s Big Adventure or Clash of the Titans was the first film to freak me out as a kid.

I don’t think there are sexual overtones in it but I have later learned that those two foxes were a lot of people’s first crush.

You can Google it, although I wouldn’t necessarily recommend it.

Hmm, interesting.

Yeah, I’ve seen people say that. I can kind of see it, in the gallant nature of Disney’s Robin. He’s pretty dashing.

Was he your first crush? :wink:

Can’t a guy comment on the positive qualities of another guy or fox without it being assumed he’s into guys or foxes? Charming, charismatic foxes… sigh

My two big disney movies as a kid were Robin Hood and Sword In The Stone. The VHSs for both are still at my parents place. The hawk scene in Sword in the Stone scared me a lot as a kid. Though I think the first movie to really freak me out was Who Framed Roger Rabbit. Judge Doom in his final form disturbed the hell out of me and the use of dip was pretty upsetting personally (my father has an acid burn on his thumb and nearly died from it).

Thank you. That was the response I was hoping for. :wink:

With that bunch I’d probably add The Long Good Friday - one of Bob Hoskins best films.

We saw Teen Titans Go To The Movies today and all enjoyed it. It’s interesting that the tone is quite different from the TV series in some ways - probably necessarily, as 90 minutes of that style and pace would probably get unbearable - more like a proper movie. But it’s still very funny and likeable. The charm and energy of the TV show definitely translates.

Some of the stuff they do with the wider DC cast is very amusing indeed, with plenty of gags and references for the adults to spot (it’s a little reminiscent of Lego Batman in that way).

There’s also plenty of fun riffs on the Marvel movies (which I won’t spoil, but which was some of the funniest stuff in the film for me).

I was at work today and I emailed my wife this afternoon asking her if she thought the boys would sit through it, being 1hr30m, and maybe I could take them Saturday morning?(basically, I wanted to see it).

She replied to say she was sat in the cinema with the boys and the film was about to start…:tired_face:

Tell her a second viewing is essential to catch all the gags. :slight_smile:

Knowing my luck she’d go to see it again. Without me.

Plan B: tell her you’re working late and go see it.