millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What are you listening to?

Odom is really incredible to watch. He just makes it seem so effortless.

For the past six months, whenever I need a pick-me-up, I watch the last play of the last Superbowl, sound muted, with this in the background:

The Furrow Collective have released this song from their forthcoming album. It hasn’t really grabbed me, it lacks the spark that their arrangments usually have. I’ve ordered the album anyway, but I hope I like the rest of it more than this:

Liking most of these “Playing for Change” videos.

Do you like rocking out and groove? Beards, bell bottoms and riffage?

Here you go so…

Steve Vai is generally considered one of the most technically proficient guitar players in rock.

I don’t know who this guy is, but somebody in his audience shouts out a request for Vai’s “Tender Surrender” (I think) and after looking up the chords on his phone he absolutely nails it, and throws in a solo as good as anything I’ve heard from Vai. I don’t know if the whole thing was a set-up and he’s secretly been rehearsing the song, but if it wasn’t then this guy is one of the most incredible musicians I’ve ever heard, and even if it was then he’s still a Vai-level guitarist. Incredible:

There’s a new Mogwai album out today.

Playlist for the morning walk:

I Can’t Sleep by Dante Fox – one of my favourite rock power ballads, and you’ve never even heard of the band. That’s so sad :frowning:

I’ve Seen All Good People by Yes – live version from 1972, not quite as good as experiencing it live.

Maid of Neidpath by Rachel Newton – from the new album. I’m sure it must be traditional but it’s new to me. Somebody dies at the end, obviously.

Mary Long by Deep Purple – a song about stupid people.

Master Song by Leonard Cohen – oh good, something upbeat and cheerful to end on :expressionless:

Thank you Ireland and all its inhabitants for such a great song.

Not knocking Ireland (from where many great versions of that song have come) but that’s a traditional Scottish tune called The Highwayman and the Captain. Some Irish folkies copied it in the 60s and changed the words a bit to make it sound like it was Irish.

Cultural appropriation again! Scotland always suffers this more than anyone :frowning:

EDIT looking for evidence to back this up, it seems like I might be wrong (hard to believe, I know). The oldest sources do seem to be Irish, so it looks like it was taken to Scotland and then back again. But still, the words you know are modern (1960s) not the traditional words.