millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What are you listening to?

Leon Russell was headlining long ago at the Long Beach Arena - home of “arena seating”. Taking a seat in the front row off the floor was a much better idea. I think Rev. Horton Heat opened with a rouser. The it was time for the Steve Miller Band. Now, I have no idea how much trouble and woe the band had gone through to get to the show, but they certainly passed it on to the audience that night. Bad sound, out of synch with each other, almost got into a fight - and that was the best part of the set.

Leon came on. He used his outdoor gear. Indoors. Blew the roof off the dump!

Miller was reputed to be solid, live, but not that night.

I wouldn’t. That measures popularity pretty well, Right Said Fred and Mr Blobby could probably make great arguments for their sales, they aren’t winning any awards or getting a dedicated feature in Mojo magazine.

Oddly, a good choice to write University Papers.

That’s fair, and your definition is a better one, though harder to quantify. Before you can say a band is given too much critical attention, you probably have to decide which critics and awards are worth taking notice of (and which are just over-rated :wink: ).

This is exactly what you want to hear when you’re alone in the house and your TV spontaneously turns itself on in the next room and starts going through your youtube playlist :cold_sweat:

Watching a music video compilation program on the t.v. and this comes on:

Initial reaction: "Yeah boyyyyyyyyy! Killer song!"
Secondary reaction: “Look at the size of that fucking clock!”

:open_mouth:

Ohhh… clock!

Rachel Newton live on Radio Scotland last month. I thought it was going to be a couple of songs, turns out it’s a whole 45-minute set. Almost as good as seeing her live:

So this is interesting.

Sting has embraced the reggae sound as far back as the first Police album. Nice to see him diving in headfirst for a collaboration with Shaggy.

Police songs are massively reggae influenced. It was a huge thing in the UK in the 1970s with a large influx of West Indian immigrants. The music was quickly and enthusiastically absorbed.

This quaintly amateurish song by a couple of teenagers was a number one hit in 1978. Mainly because it’s brilliant. “See me in my pants an ting”

My soundtrack as a white British 10 year old was very much ska and reggae influenced. The best bands in the world then were Madness, Bad Manners and The Specials, hugely musically in debt to West Indian music mainly from Jamaica.

Reggatta de Blanc is a pseudo-French translation of “white raggae”. So they’ve worn that influence on their sleeve for a long time.

I really like Skip Marley, Bob’s grandson. It’s clear that musical talent runs strong in that family.

I’m a big fan of Bob’s son, Damian Marley, too.

The band I saw last night:

(This is from 16 years ago, but the same band.)