millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What are you listening to?

To add to the multiple drummers chat I was listening to the Melvins (a band that frequently has two drummers in the line-up) cover album from a few years back today.

Also because of Batman and Harley Quinn:

I’m not particularly a fan, but he is a remarkable musician and has accomplished remarkable things. And it says something about the state of music snobbery (let’s call it what it is) that he can easily sell out the Albert Hall and similar venues all over Europe and regularly score top-20 albums without the mainstream media even noticing (I’m actually astonished the Guardian deigned to talk to him).

He’s labelled “prog”, but he’s “indie” by the literal definition of the word “indie”. Which just goes to show how useless both of those words are to describe anything, and again illustrates the level of musical snobbery there is around.

But he is never on the radio or TV and seems as likely to get invited to play at Glastonbury as receive the proverbial audience with the Pope.

Because: “prog” :scream:

…and Laura will be right!!*

*to be honest, I’m not a big fan of the Doors. but Lorcan started this fight, so…

The literal definition of indie doesn’t cover a music genre though. I watched with much mirth when NME readers were annoyed in the late 80s when Sonia and Rick Astley went to the top of the indie charts because their label was run by 3 blokes.

That’s what I mean. By literal definition, he’s an artist on an “indie” label, he’s selling out the Albert Hall and getting a #1 album on a tiny, independent record label run by three blokes. (Ok, Kscope is actually getting pretty big these days, but that’s only because Steven Wilson shifts so many records for them :smiley: ).

But the accepted definition of “indie” has come to mean a certain musical sound.

And that’s not so different from “prog”, which has by popular definition come to mean a certain musical sound, but actually doesn’t mean that at all.

It has, for a long time it has been defined as ‘jangly guitar music’. Which is why the Stock, Aitken and Waterman thing was so funny with the most bubblegum pop you could imagine.

It carried on into the early 90s when the dance acts came in but they were less insulting to the ‘indie’ fans. I think not long after that they gave up and called it ‘alternative’. :smile:

And ‘alternative’ managed to be even more poorly-defined than ‘Indie’. :slight_smile:

All of the sudden i realize how much did I love this song, and that i haven´t heard it in like… four years.

This was intended to be an entrance theme for Kane, but WWE (then still WWF) went with “Slow Chemical” by Finger Eleven:

My brother-in-law used to swear that the song was talking about the Copperhead Road in Johnson County, Illinois which is quite believable but most of the stuff I read says Tennessee.

This is an accurate description of me about 10 minutes into a night in the club.

Iamthemorning:

Steve says that’s what worked for the song.

As in all the places were made up or it was actually about a particular place and he just made things fit around it?

Planet Rock played this last night without saying what it was, and it’s been bugging me for the last 24 hours that I couldn’t remember who sang it.

Finally just came to me out of the blue. Not sure how I could have forgotten:

Blatant borrowing of the Kinks’ riff aside, it’s a fine pop song.

They’re a polarising group, and while Jim’s lyrics were often bad poetry, the tracks written by others were usually very simplistic, lyric-wise. Decent melodies and musicianship though. I’d say you could easily have a solid “greatest hits” of theirs (10 to 15 great songs, like Bowie) - something relatively obscure like this is pretty fun:

Some Shuggie Otis on a Saturday morning.