millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What are you listening to?

Public Service Broadcasting build songs from various voice samples.
This song is built from the Appllo 8 mission when they became the first people to go round moon.
It always gives me goosebumps.

This just came on the shuffle - it was always my favourite of the pre-fame Oasis demos, “See the sun” (way more bass-driven than anything else of theirs):

The latest entry in the ‘things that make you feel old’ file: Appetite For Destruction turns 30 years old this Friday, 21 July.

Guns ‘N’ Roses? Ah yes, one of those young upstart bands…

Joking aside, Slash is eight weeks younger than me :expressionless: . Not sure about the rest of the band, I think Axl is older.

So here’s a thought: I’d expect that most people’s favourite musicians are older than they are. Bands that make music “for the kids” are very rarely kids themselves.

Might be an interesting exercise – perhaps as an addendum to Jim’s “Your Top Ten Musical Acts” thread of the other week. Go through your lists and work out how many of them are older and younger than you are. I’ll bet most are older than you.

That stands to reason though: if your ‘golden age’ of music is when you’re a teenager, there are relatively few acts that are professional musicians at such a young age, especially popular ones.

(Maybe more now than there used to be, but even so.)

So we finally have an age for you. :wink:

A lot of my favorites outside of classic rock and outlaw country are pretty close to my own age within a few years. It’s actually kind of weird how many were born within the same year.

I suppose so. But that kind of implies your tastes never significantly develop past your teenage years, which is a bit sad because theoretically you’re better equipped to appreciate new things when you get older.

Imagine that extended to other fields of culture/entertainment? I wouldn’t read Mark Millar because he’s four years younger than me. I wouldn’t watch a Christopher Nolan film because he’s five years younger than me :expressionless:

When did you discover Deep Purple?

I thought this was pretty much your MO. :wink:

When a friend loaned me a cassette copy of Deepest Purple. I was 19. Technically I discovered Ritchie Blackmore earlier, when I bought Rainbow Rising, unheard, on the recommendation of a fellow student. That was shortly after my 19th birthday.

So a teenager? :wink:

According to my friends and family, I was never a proper teenager :smiley:

For some reason, I don’t doubt that. :wink:

And one for @KalmanL

Sorry, thanks for the gesture, but it’s the Three Weeks, and I can only listen to acapella music during that period.

Shit. Two of the guys in NOFX are Jewish. It’s all a play on being Jewish.

“The Brews”

Friday night we’ll be drinking Manischewitz
Going out to terrorize Goyim
Stomping shagitz, screwing shiksas
As long as we’re home by Saturday morning

Cause hey, we’re the Brews
Sporting anti-swastika tattoos
Oi Oi we’re the boys
Orthodox, hesidic, O.G. Ois

Orthopedic, Dr. Martens good for
Waffle making, kicking through the shin
Reputation, gained through intimidation
Pacifism no longer tradition

Cause hey we’re the Brews
Oi Oi we’re the Brews
The fairfax ghetto boys skinhead Hebrews

We got the might, psycho mashuganas
We can’t lose a fight, as we are the chosen ones
Chutzpah driven, we battle then we feast
We celebrate, we’ll separate our milkplates from our meat

We’re the Brews
Oi Oi we’re the boys
Orthodox, hesidic, O.G. Ois

That version cuts off the end where you can hear them singing Dayenu.