millarworld.tv Comics Creators

What are you listening to?

Approved :thumbsup:

Never heard of the band before. Similarities to Mahavishnu Orchestra, but they seem to be doing to without keyboards of violin and still getting an impressively full sound. I will investigate further.

It worked very well.

I have always had eclectic tastes (most people claim that and then say they like both Metallica and Iron Maiden etc but I really do have favourite albums in funk, prog, classical and electronica and more) so it worked for me and seemed to for the rest of the crowd. I think the main thing is they both rock out and are energetic. Lots of moshing going on. :smile:

Meanwhile, over here it’s Favourite Album Friday #9 and I have been mostly listening to Deep Purple - Live in Montreux 1969, which is - well, self-explanatory I hope. It’s the earliest official release of a Mk 2 concert, played before they’d recorded their first album, so it’s an unusual and unique set list, filled with songs that they haven’t quite finished writing yet, and padded out with long instrumentals because they didn’t have enough songs to fill a headlining set. No, hang on, they did that even after they had enough songs.

Some of it is a bit rough, but it’s fascinating to hear the prototypes of the classics. This song was called Kneel and Pray , but evolved into something called Speed King by the time they reached the studio:

Added to that the worst responses I have ever seen to support acts:

1. Texas supporting Simple Minds at Cardiff Arms Park in around 1988/89. The issue there was their own egos. They only had one hit at that time “I don’t want a lover” which went down well but Sharleen Spiteri got annoyed that nobody was singing along to any of the other songs, which is an incredibly delusional stance to take when you are a support band. They were ushered off with bottles of piss.

2. Mogwai supporting the Manic Street Preachers, most likely a decade later. This was quite simply nobody knew they were an instrumental band and were waiting for someone to sing.

Actually both are pretty well known and went on to better things but it was down to audience expectations more than anything.

There’s always the Metallica opening for Guns N’ Roses incident. :wink:

One that sounded good in theory but went together like water and solid sodium was Stevie Ray Vaughan and Jeff Beck. They toured together and split the headlining. It did not help the audience I saw them with were SRV fans and the Jeff Beck fan. Beck headlined. so everybody was all done by the time he came on. Basically he played his instrumental tunes that nobody knew - okay, woke up a little during Beck’s Bolero - but mostly sat around, smoked dope and talked about the SRV set.

It was a very weird night.

As per usual, I think I prefer the in-film version but this one is fun too.

For me, the worst reaction I’ve seen to a support act is easily Chicks on Speed opening for the Red Hot Chili Peppers at their Hyde Park gigs many years ago now.

To be honest, the early signs weren’t good. Not only were they introduced by one of the members of the headlining band (never a good sign: I later found out that it was because they’d been booed off the stage the night before), but his main compliment was that they made all of their own costumes and they had some fantastic stage props.

Still, the crowd were polite enough to give them a couple of songs to convince them, but their odd brand of “quirky”, naive anti-guitar electro-pop (one of their songs was even called “we don’t play guitars”, which they sang quite defiantly) and their novelty costumes (that looked like home-made primary-coloured superhero outfits) didn’t go down well with a crowd who had turned up to see RHCP. Neither did the intermittent tuneless electronic screeching which seemed to emanate from a small wooden box.

After the first couple of songs, the crowd started booing at the end of all their numbers. Only when the band said “This is our last song…” did they receive a huge cheer and applause from the audience. At this point they launched into a huge tirade against the crowd, saying that we were being closed-minded and mean, and basically telling them off for being so rude.

(I did enjoy their closing broadside though: “This is the sound of the future, and if you don’t like it you can fuck off back to Croydon!”. Charming.) It was also pissing it down, which probably didn’t help.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen such an unpleasant, antagonistic relationship between a band and a crowd, and to see it at a massive venue like Hyde Park was just bizarre.

Luckily, James Brown came on soon afterwards, the weather brightened up, and the shittiness was forgotten.

I really think these things are often more a case of mismatched bands rather than the quality of the support act though. I remember seeing Aerosmith years ago and their support act being Shed Seven. I think I was one of the few people who enjoyed both, but the crowd on that occasion didn’t dislike the support band, they were just a bit baffled by them, as they weren’t really to their taste.

I was only partially taking the mick with the original post. I did think it was going to be up your street too!

An interesting song cut from Moana (with a little Chris Jackson to boot ;)).

The worst opening act I’ve ever seen was the Drop Kick Murphys opening for the Mighty Mighty Bosstones. They were this horrible oi punk band at the time. It makes me really sad because I love their music now. They were just so different back then.

Classic!

I’m always a bit cold towards support acts. I often just view them as getting in the way of what I’ve paid to see. I’ll not be openly hostile to them but it’s their job to win me over.

Best example of a support act winning a crowd over was when I saw Hayseed Dixie being supported by Ed Tudor Pole. A few members of the crowd kept yelling at him to get off and nobody was really in to him he kept at it, pouring it all into his one man act, hammering away on his acoustic guitar and by the time he got stuck into Sword Of A Thousand Men the whole place was bouncing! I have to admit though I didn’t realise who he was until the last song and was muttering to myself “That looks like the guy that replaced Richard Obrien on the Crystal Maze.”

As for eclectic genres in a line up when I went to see U2’s Zooropa tour they had Paul Okenfold as DJ, The Utah Saints and the Stereo MC’s. A bit of rave and acid jazz for a rock band headliner. That worked pretty well too and the crowd liked them all.

I know what you mean, it can go either way for me. I’ve had some bad experiences but at the same time I’ve discovered some great musicians by seeing them completely unintentionally as the support band for another artist.

I remember a band called Dog Toffee playing as support for Therapy? a long time ago now, and from a great night all round one of my enduring memories is them going from a completely empty space in the middle of the room (with everyone glued to the bars) at the start of their set, to a massively enthusiastic throng of people jumping around to their music at the end of it (many of whom, myself included, immediately poured over to buy from their stall as soon as their last song finished). It was a great example of a support band warming up a room and winning over some new fans into the bargain.

More recently I discovered Lera Lynn through seeing her support Ben Folds last year and having a brief chat with her after the gig as I bought a CD off her. Again, she clearly won over a lot of people on the strength of a single short performance that they hadn’t really paid to see in the first place. It was impressive.

I know a lot of people arrive late or stay in the bar to miss a support act, which I think is a terrible thing to do. You never know when the support act is going to be your next favourite band. I’ve seen some dire support acts, but it’s been worth it for the few times I really have discovered something special.

Back in the 80s on Late Night with David Letterman, he had a Top Ten List of exhibits at the Rock n’ Roll Hall of Fame Museum.

One of them was “Get the Hell Off Stage!: A Salute to Opening Acts”.

I think #1 was “Ride the Wild Cher”.

I’ve seen a lot of fantastic opening acts. There have been a few clunkers, too.

You know you love it.

‘Tilted by’ Christine and the Queens is an enormous ear worm for me.

Love it but if I hear it it is in my head for hours.

Its up there with ‘It’s a Small World Anyway’.

Hence, no vid.

I have just been looking at this tracklist over and over. So many awesome guests. And it’s the Gorillaz, so we already know they know how to work tons of features with varying styles into an organic album experience.

Nothing at the moment, BUT.

Just bought Mogwai tickets for later this year. Anyone else into them?
I think the last time they’ve been relatively close to me was when I saw them in 2011. Definitely ready for some more live Mogwai in my life.