millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Wednesday Fan Chat #29 - Adam Kubert

Hello Mr. Kubert, it’s an honor to have a chat with you Sir, I grew up with your art, so here are my questions:

1.- How many hours a day you invest drawing and how many teaching?
2.- Did you find diffcult to work in a new Avengers title where all the characters are not as familiar?
3.- You have worked with the best writers in the industry so far, with which another writer you always wanted to work with?
4.- When will you work again with Mr. Millar but in a Millarworld book?

Hi Adam enjoy your work greatly and can’t wait to see more in the very near future!

I have a few questions

1 - Dave Gibbons was a building surveyor and he thought this helped him with structure and perspective later in his art and I know you graduated with a degree in medical illustration so I was wondering if this helped in any way when you came to the wonderful world of comics ?!

2 - What’s your favorite alcoholic drink?

3 - Of all the fantastic work we have all seen you do what are you most proud of or enjoyed the most?

4 - Whats your favorite take out food?

5 - Apart from your own hugely talented family who in comics do you admire or have taken influence / inspiration from?

Cheers!

What is something that writers do in their scripts that you wish they wouldn’t?

First I’d like to say thank you to Mark for asking me to be a part of this chat… Thanks Ronnie for moderating… Now to get to the first question…

Good question Bruce… I’ll tell you, I always love to draw… But I didn’t always know that I wanted to go into comics. I originally went to college for medical illustration… and I have a degree in it. All through school I would constantly draw things out of my head… Not just hearts, livers, kidneys… narrative type illustrations. So after having graduated… I got a job doing medical illustration… And I didn’t like it. So rather than go through a lifetime dealing with doctors… There was this great school in Dover New Jersey that my dad started where the price was right and I thought why fight it… So here I am…

Hey Ronnie… my suggestion for the aspiring artists would be to only submit work that you’re proud of because chances are if you don’t like it they won’t like it. Also don’t pad the submissions just to show absolutely everything you’ve ever done…these are busy people and probably don’t have time for it. Remember… quality over quantity. I’d also suggest to try to gear your samples towards the type of work that that particular publisher produces… That way they can see how you can handle their characters…

Hey TP… Marianne of course :slight_smile:

Hi Todd… so many good ones… hard to decide. I know it’s not a fan favorite… and I can’t remember the name but it’s the one where his wife was abducted from their Jeep and he has to get her back. Also, I just saw him in the furious seven and he looked great… I love Kurt Russell…

Hey Andrew… I’ve definitely got ideas stockpiled and I’m waiting for my deadline window to open… Right now Marvel is keeping me Mighty busy…

Hi Bruce… I would say the best comic book cover is one that causes the reader to pick the book up and want to look at it… whether it’s a cover that directly relates to the story… or an enhanced cover… or an alternate cover… Or a pinup cover… It doesn’t matter. Personally I would prefer the cover had something to do with the interiors… I think that way there’s a little more truth in advertising…

And one more thing Todd… did you know that Walt Disney’s last two Final words that he wrote were “Kurt Russell”??.. And no one knows why…

And the short answers are…

1. 10 hours drawing to one hour teaching
  2. no
  3. Stephen King
  4. soon I hope

Follow up question, can you think of a time when you read a panel description in a script and thought “well…this might be a disaster” but you actually ended up being really pleased with the result?

What is your favorite part about teaching?

1. Absolutely Kevin… the anatomy courses that I took in college totally help me with the Adamatomy that I use comics. Anytime a character rips someone’s heart out… rest assured that I’ll be drawing the aorta correctly…
  2. tanqueray and tonic
  3. I would say the job I’m most proud of is Wolverine 90. The story was about this huge fight between Wolverine and sabertooth… Just a giant knock down dragged out fight. So I suggested to the editor (Bob Harras at the time…) that because the fight was so big let’s include some gatefolds so we can get the action huge. So in that issue we had two double gate folds and two single gatefolds… so much freakin fun! I still have all the originals to that particular issue hoping someday they’ll rescan, recolor, and reprint it.
  4. it used to be White Castle hamburgers but now my taste has matured to Buffulo wings…
  5. I am inspired by Mobius and will swipe from him every chance I get :slight_smile:

Old Comics Thread

Nothing… All writers are awesome :wink:

Thanks for the answers Adam. I’d love to see that reprinted it sounds spectacular…I’m with you on the wings :wink:

I’ve got a little extra time so I’m going to go back and answer these few other questions that Todd had asked…

I think it would be cool to draw something that happened in the wild West… Let’s say with Crazyhorse or Sitting Bull…

Burning down the house

Hey Todd… I loved working for National Lampoon. It was so much fun… Those guys were nuts! Artistically though… they gave me a lot of leeway as far as drawing style… they pretty much let me do what I wanted. It was a place where I really experimented with style and technique. One day I would try to channel Serpieri and the next day I was emulating Bazooka Joe.

That’s all the time we have, but a big thank you to Adam for taking the time to stop in and answer all of our questions!

Well I guess that’s it… thanks everyone for all the great questions! Thanks Mark… Thanks Patrick… Thanks Bruce… Thanks Ronnie… for having me.

Just had a nice chat with Adam. Thanks again for stopping by Millarworld, @adamk. You are always welcome.