millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Wednesday Fan Chat # 23 - Wilfredo Torres

We have a real treat this New Comics Wednesday. We will be chatting with one of the latest Millarworld artists, Wilfredo Torres. Wilfredo has been working professionally since 2007. He is best known for his work on The Shadow: Year One at Dynamite Entertainment and Batman '66 at DC Comics and is currently collaborating with our own benefactor, Mark Millar, on Jupiter’s Circle. So go buy Jupiter’s Circle #6, out this week, and come back to give Wilfredo a warm welcome by leaving your questions for him in this forum. Questions only though. All other posts will be phased into an alternate timeline.

http://www.millarworld.tv/creators/wilfredo-torres

If you’re having trouble adjusting for your time zone, check out this link.

New Comics Thread - 2nd September
The Official Jupiter's Circle #6 thread

@wilfredotorres - I love Jupiter’s Circle. You’ve done a great job making the art feel like it’s from another era. These stories aren’t typical superhero stories but feel grounded in the Golden Age of Comics because of your work. While I’ve appreciate the fill-in team, I’m so glad to have you back on art for issue #6.

I do have a couple questions. Do you ever base your character designs on real people? To me, your Sheldon and Grace bare a strong resemblance to Hollywood era Ronald and Nancy Reagan. Am I close? :wink:

I love your art style. Who are your influences?

If you could illustrate the biography of any historical figure, who would it be?

What is your favorite Kurt Russell movie?

Your art really helped pull me into the story of Jupiter’s Circle (I’ll be picking up #6 as this chat is going on :sunglasses: ) I’m curious if you used a lot of vintage photography for reference? The architecture, background props and clothing is all spot on. My 1st comics were my dad’s Superman 1940s-1970s so this book really puts me back into that era while exploring the grown-up side of Superhero life.
Is there any truth to the rumor that Mark Millar provided the physical model for Sky Fox?
Thanks for doing this chat and for drawing such an enjoyable book, I’m hooked! :sunglasses::thumbsup:

Welcome! Have you been to Hollywood? The perspective shots around Griffith Observatory and the Sign are spot on! From the Hollywood sign panel, you can see the houses I grew up in!

Hi Wilfredo,

I’ve been enjoying your art on Jupiter’s Circle a lot. As one of the first Millarworld series to incorporate existing designs and characters (from Jupiter’s Legacy) was it a challenge to be faithful to what Frank Quitely had drawn before whilst also maintaining your own style and contributing your own flavour? Did the very different era of the book help to set it apart in terms of the look of the art?

I think it’s a very distinctive-looking book while still being clearly linked to Legacy, so I think the balance works.

Hi there love Jupiter circle I got three questions to ask 1) what’s was your first comic your draw 2) can you give any tips for upcoming artist and 3) will you be touring Scotland

What is the thing that writers do in scripts that annoys you, as an artist, the most?

Hey Ronnie, thanks for the kind words.
I think it’s important to try and keep character’s looks consistent so ‘casting’ them as actual people helps in that respect so that you have a frame of reference. Sheldon and Grace are kind of amalgam’s of different people but the closest two would be Clint Walker (The Dirty Dozen) and Kim Novak (Vertigo).

Great Questions!

My biggest influences are Curt Swan, Jose Luis Garcia Lopez, George Perez and John Byrne. I don’t think my work looks like any of these Gentlemen but they’re the guys that pretty much defined what Comics look like for me.

If I could illustrate the Biography of any historical figure I would’ve said Roberto Clemente but Wilfred Santiago beat me to it with his wonderful GN ‘21’. If anyone has plans on doing a Jack Kirby book maybe they’ll keep me in mind.

Favorite Kurt Russel movie is The Thing (1982) no doubt!

Thanks so much. I use a ton of reference to try and keep things on model for the time period.
I hadn’t heard the Mark as SkyFox rumor but now that I think about it I guess that could’ve worked.
I hope you enjoy the latest issue!

That’s very cool even if I was off with my guess. :wink:

It’s like the holy Superman 5. I definitely approve.

I’ve only been to Hollywood once and I didn’t get a chance to go to the Observatory so I just used a ton of reference for that :wink:

I think trying to ape another Artists work is a losing battle. No one could ever Out-Quitely Frank Quitely if that makes any sense? Luckily that isn’t what I was asked to do. The different time-settings definitely makes a difference in the approach and Frank provided model sheets for each of the characters so once I got past the daunting nature of the assignment I just went at it as straight forward as I could. I’m glad you feel it works!

Betty or Veronica?

The first Comic I drew was actually an 8 page story in an Indy Anthology book called Evolution Book but my first Professional work was for Boom! in a book called SALEM: QUEEN OF THORNS. In an interesting bit of trivia that book was co-written by Chris Morgan who also worked on the screenplays for the film adaptation to WANTED and the upcoming CHRONONAUTS film.

The best advice I can give to Artists is to work as hard as you can every day and then work harder than that the next day.

I don’t have any plans to visit Scotland right now but I’d love to.

Hi Wilfredo!
Your pencils and inks are crazy neat, I fell in love since I started reading Jupiter’s Circle.
What are your favorite things or characters to draw? Also who would you cast if Jupiter’s Circle got made into a movie? (I’m totally with you on Matt Bomer as Blue Bolt).

I haven’t come across it really since I started working Professionally but Pacing is key. You have to think of each page of a comic as real estate and you need to be particular about how you use it.

Veronica… always the brunette.

@wilfredotorres - Do you have you have any plans post-Jupiter’s Circle yet? Any creators you would like to work with in the future? This book has really turned me on to your work.