millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Video games thread - "What are you playing?"

I’ve played both Spider-Man and RDR2. Both games have things I liked and didn’t like. Overall I like RDR2 more. It feels more like a real world than any other open world game I’ve played. There’s a ton of variety in everything around you. Spider-Man felt like it was made with a template.

Certainly, and if it was exactly the same game in terms of gameplay but not Spider-man I’d enjoy it a lot less - the references and easter eggs make up for the sometimes formulaic structure.

I imagine RDR2 will be my second PS4 purchase.

I’ve finally kicked this flu I’ve had since New Years to a degree where I can actually think coherently enough to play video games again, so have finally returned to RDR2! Huzzah.

And then lost a horse for the first time. Poor, poor Opera, died in a random hold-up encounter as I didn’t have a reviver to use on his fatal wounds. It’s a lot more affecting losing a horse here than in the original RDR (or maybe that happened so often I don’t remember the first impact of it). So I wasn’t sure what to do after that in regards to my saddle. I didn’t want to just leave it on Opera’s corpse, cos all my stuff’s in there (too much to carry, what with all the fancy pistols I’ve accrued from dead gunslingers) and I had a perfect deer pelt I wanted to make sure I kept hold of. So I picked up the saddle and ended up carrying it around on foot for ages while trying to find a new horse.

The people who had attacked me had half been on horseback, but those horses had bolted out of sight. I couldn’t see any wild ones. I eventually happened upon one who looked abandoned, but some guy was sitting on the ground by it and I didn’t want to go dark side enough to just steal it. I later found one of those strangers offering to doing shooting matches and after losing and refusing to pay, he attacked me and I killed him. Free horse, I thought, of his which was hitched up when I approached. But that had bolted too.

In the end, I trekked quite a distance carrying my saddle until I saw a guy fishing and decided to just steal his horse. Didn’t even get a bounty for it. And it turns out if you lose your saddle, it respawns at the stables, so I could have just left it instead of lugging it around, I guess.

My 11-year-old wants a headset with a mic for playing Fortnite. I won’t allow him to have one, and have been very firm about it. It’s become an issue in our house that won’t go away. I just don’t want him interacting with the weirdos who play this stuff.

I’ve played a little bit of it. The game is such garbage, too.

That’s fair, but you have to also remember he’ll probably only want to play with his friends and not strangers, just like in real life and he probably just wants to copy YouTube gamers who play as friends group. Both my nephews play with headsets and I’ve heard no issues (one is the type of kid who left the Boys Brigade because he thought the other boys swearing disrespected God and both nephews play together with the older one your sons age). I will ask my sister about age restrictions and whatnot because im sure she didnt let him play lightly. Something tells me you can pick the people he can interact with so you could make it he can only interact with friends he has cleared with you beforehand. I will find out more for you.

Okay, so an update…

My nephew just came home to my parents from school and he’s watching gamers on YouTube as usual. I ask him about Fortnite.

He says he talks to his friends when he plays. You have to add and accept friends like Facebook. If you want to talk to anyone else you go to an option called ‘Fill’. So I asked him could I go on and talk to strangers and he literally looked at me completely perplexed and said “Why would you want to do that?”
I explained that my friend’s son wanted to use a headset but didn’t want him talking to strangers and Jay said, “Just don’t allow him ever to use Fill.”

So I’m thinking you could sit him down and not lose any sort of parental control giving in by explaining VERY solid rules on the Fill option and that you have to vet all his friends that he adds but only if he’s hitting certain grades or whatnot. That way you double down on the not talking to weirdos and how he’s never allowed to use Fill (“its for adults”) and solve the issue getting what you want while giving reward for good behaviour.

Edit: Unfortunately there’s nothing I can do about how shit the game is.

Thank you for the information Parker. That is all actually very helpful. And while I’m pretty tech savvy I am also lost and overwhelmed as to what my kid could stumble into (as is every parent I know).

I am softening on the headset but still presenting a united front. My main concerns are:

1. Him getting a lot of racist shit and online bullying put in his ears, and bad examples about how to talk/behave.

2. I’m not 100% convinced he actually enjoys Fortnite and that he’s not just doing it because all of his friends do. Who is to say.

3. I don’t want him to start getting so into it that he starts wanting new skins and weapons and costumes or dance moves or whatever, as the whole game is basically a scam to get people down that rabbit hole. And he also has the collectors/completists mentality where as soon as he has something he wants the next thing (he sadly takes after his old man in that regard).

The good news is that I plugged in my old Gamecube in the basement and he’s been really into that. I think he’s down there swearing at Rogue Squadron as I type this, actually.

Until I saw this video, I had no idea you could only buy things that have no practical purpose in the game. (I don’t play.)

Ah, like when I was ten and asked my parents to buy me an Usher album because everybody else in school liked him. I think that I listened to it once and that was that. So you might be right.

For the record, I too have never played Fortnite, and don’t really intend to.

Lots of games doing that these days. Welcome to Late-stage capitalism.

Internet to Todd: Yer old.

You could argue that many games in their entirety have no practical purpose whatsoever.

They’re fun though.

Me to Internet: GET OFF MY YARD!!!

Better that than being able to pay to win.

My sister was busy with her dog earlier it’s just home from the vets but I will talk to her as she has similar views but I gleaned a little.

Jay is 8 (9 next month) and my other nephew, his cousin Elliott, is 11 and neither have been exposed to anything bad, their parents are strict and keep an eye on them with this stuff and Jay was stopped from playing with Elliott’s friends online as they are a little old. They have been told that anything in game they want to buy they can use their own pocket money. Both worked out they didn’t like spending money in it very quickly and has actually made them understand the value of money somewhat, despite still asking for ridiculously expensive Christmas presents because they are spoilt.

On the case of why they want to play it… all their mates do. It’s the playground of today. He probably doesn’t want left out, that’s how it would have been for my nephews. As well, I ran round the streets at 11 hearing all sorts of stuff from older kids as well as seeing things I really shouldn’t. In this situation he wants to spend time with his mates and they will be in a closed environment without that so in my eyes it seems like a pretty good way of interaction with friends. Kids fight a lot so if they tempers fray they aren’t in the same place so can calm down before tomorrow morning at school. I think I would have loved all this stuff when I was a kid so I cant blame them. You’re getting to be characters as you play and talk with each other in a much cooler way than you would out in the street.

I will endeavour to find out more on the tech side from my sis to see how much control you can have.

While we weren’t watching, games went social. The fun of games like now Fortnite, previously Destiny and others, isn’t playing with strangers but with your mates online. Before there was Fortnite there was COD, which built a commercial empire on the appeal of playing online to shoot others!

A few of my mates have tried to get me online to play but I’d rather play on my own when I actually do get the chance to play.

But maybe we’re thinking about this all wrong. What we see as a shoot-em-up game that teens and tweens play obsessively online for hours on end, thus rotting their brains, they may simply see as a way to “hang out” with friends.

We get on to play, but we’re really just hanging out. Fortnite has built-in voice chat so it’s seamless to just jump on voice, talk about the day, life, whatever is going on, without even really realising it.

I’ve probably spent more time talking to my friends on the other side of the world in Fortnite’s voice chat than I have calling them in the last four years since I moved overseas.

and:

I’ve played Fortnite with my friends’ kids before, but last night I played with my friend’s 12yo son and his friends and my mind is still spinning. It’s not that they’re that good… they’re not. It’s that for them, the game is background noise. Fortnite isn’t a game, it’s a place.

I’d be keen to give it a go but my PS4 is poorly placed for a solid WiFi connection.

Cross-play is the big game-changer that’s very recent too - the idea of being to play one game across multiple platforms. It wouldn’t have included PS4 without the massive of Fortnite being able to wear down Sony’s resistance.

Horizon Zero Dawn is also really cool, if you want a cheaper but good quality game.