millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Video games thread - "What are you playing?"

Nope, those microtransactions are dead, son.

The current scourge of gaming is now Destiny 2.

Sonic Forces arrived this morning and we’ve had a quick play on it.

It’s very much in the mould of the modern Sonic games (feels similar to Generations in a lot of ways) but they seem to have done a bit of a better job of removing the frustrations (like instant deaths from falling off the stages). So far, anyway.

The kids love it and particularly enjoyed the character-creator element that allows you to make your own unique Sonic-style character.

For me, it’s no Mania. I always find the serious Sonic storylines a bit laughable, and this is completely overwrought in places (the opening setup is that Sonic has been captured - and tortured - for six months after Robotnik succeeds in taking over the planet. Plus there’s been some obvious cost-cutting in places, with some of the animated cutscenes strung together with plain text screens to fill gaps in the story, which is a bit naff.

But at a budget price - £14.99 is cheaper than Mania, and for a physical release - this isn’t too bad, and the kids love all the bells and whistles.

I made a start on Wolenstein 2 last night and played the first couple of levels. Finding it quite difficult so far. Don’t know if this is because the game itself is difficult or because I’ve spend so long on Fallout 4 as an unkillable high level character. The story telling has been pretty good. Mostly done through cutscenes of course but the clunky controls and lack of health in wheelchair section was a neat way of showing the beat up condition BJ is in.

Everything I’ve heard says WF2 falls into the ‘hard but fair’ category.

Mandatory use-the-character-creator-to-make-a-stupid-looking-avatar with Sonic Forces:

Don’t have nightmares.

There probably aren’t enough people who post about games for it to have a dedicated thread but what is you GOTY?

I guess for me it was Persona 5. I think I’d rank the 2017 games that I played some or all of like this:

1. Persona 5
  2. Wolfenstein 2
  3. Super Mario Odyssey
  4. Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  5. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
  6. Yooka-Laylee
  7. Injustice 2
  8. Cuphead
  9. Prey

Although I pretty much liked all of those except Prey (which wasn’t terrible, just not very original or exciting).

I have Horizon Zero Dawn but have not yet played it.

Play it and your list will either change or it’ll make your best of 2018 list instead!

Sonic Mania for me!

(Unsurprisingly.)

Although I liked the new Uncharted a lot and am really getting into Horizon Zero Dawn at the moment.

The only 2017 games I’ve played are Sonic Mania, a couple hours of Wolfenstein 2 and Rogue Trooper Redux. I guess that would be the order I’d rank them in. Looking at my achievement list it seems I spent six months on Fallout 4. The rest of the year was spent on old open world games: Far Cry Primal, the Batman Arkham trilogy, an Assassins Creed game, Bully and Sleeping Dogs.

So, Star Wars Battlefront 2. But before we get there, just a couple of things.
First off, the original Battlefront 2 (back on the PS2) might be my most-played game ever. It came out in 2005, I was eleven at the time, I played it for years after it came out. I’m sure that I hold a heavy amount of nostalgia and love for that game, which might be perceived as a bias. Now I’m not expecting this new one to be that game reborn, but I hope that it has a little more of that feel compared to EA’s previous effort. Secondly, last night I spent a couple of hours on that previous effort, a game which my friends had bought me with the intention of me joining them online. I never managed to fully get into it, but I figured that I owed it another shot before moving on to its successor. Playing it again just sort of reinforced how I felt. It looks great, really capturing Star Wars visually (much like The Force Awakens and the recent Marvel comics have) but there doesn’t seem to be much else that it brings to the table. Having no meaty single player stuff really hurts it, but then the multiplayer feels a little lightweight too. There are plenty of customisation options and weapons to unlock but the modes feel so repetitive that I haven’t managed to really get there. In the end it feels like a tech demo instead of a full-fledged game.
Which finally brings us to Battlefront 2! I’ve only played a couple of hours so far but this is much better. There are a ton more modes, maps, characters and ways to play (thanks to the loot drop system, which seems to work fine so long as players are not able to spend real money on them, good god EA). There was a short tutorial which assumed that you already knew how to aim and shoot (hint: try the shoulder buttons) while introducing what’s different this time around and ends with you slaughtering the Resistance troops on the Starkiller Base as Kylo Ren. You might say that I’m easily pleased but that left me pretty happy. Then I played some short single-player missions that seem to be there to let you get to grips with the various classes and heroes. It all seems a lot more thought out than the last game was, and I haven’t even touched the campaign.
The game gave me a good first impression though, and I’m looking forward to coming back and seeing just how much depth it truly has.

I’m probably forgetting something, but I’d go, roughly in order:

1. Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  2. Super Mario Odyssey
  3. Fire Emblem Echoes
  4. Mario + Rabbids
  5. Metroid: Samus Returns

I still haven’t had chance to play enough of Snipperclips to properly rank it yet. I could have sworn there was a new point and click out this year that I played (not Thimbleweed Park, which I’ve yet to get to), but I can’t remember. I’ve mostly been doing retro stuff this year though, of which Chrono Trigger wa easily the best.

Hmm, I’ve played more games than I think this year:

Until March, my time was occupied with Steep - which was a hugely fun game with brilliantly realised, massive mountains to explore. Not to forget, all manner of ways to torture your avatar - too much G-force would equal KO!

Zelda then hit and made for a great Wii U swansong. A fairly weak main story and boss structure was more than made up by inspired world design, elemental effects and world interaction. It looked like nothing else and competed with PS4, despite being nowhere near its tech equal.

Any other year, that would be it, but Horizon Zero Dawn also came out. Like Zelda, it had its weaknesses - a reliance too often on human enemies, but like that game it had one of the best designed and arguably densest ever game world. There were things to find everywhere, there’s still stuff I haven’t done too. Combined with that is some of the best robot design ever, take on either a Stormbird or Thunderjaw, remove its armour and you have sparking tech underneath, reflecting damage done - quite amazing graphics.

But March was nowhere near done, it also dropped the brilliant Yakuza Zero. The PS4 debut for the insane quest / combat series set in Japan, which some of the most crazy special moves you’ll ever see - and immediately want to do again when you’ve seen one.

With this trio, I was well occupied until the end of August, though Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age came out in July. A brilliant remaster along with being a very different version of the game, I haven’t done that much on this yet - only 10-20 hours.

The end of August saw another double bill - Yakuza: Kiwami and RedOut: Lightspeed Edition.

Yakuza: Kiwami was a redone version of the first game for PS4, with extra content and, despite some flaws, it was very well-executed. It ported over pieces from Yakuza Zero, but remained its own story right through to the end. I’m optimistic that the sales of both games in the west will have made the case for western releases for both Yakuza Kiwami 2 and Fist of the North Star, from the same developers.

RedOut is the most insane and inspired future racer I’ve ever played. Insanely fast with track design that is utterly nuts and does, in most respects, render it the heir to WipeOut. This remains a fairly below-the-radar title and can likely e got cheap by now. For both a pick-up-and-play-game and a game that has hidden depths that slowly unveil as you play it, it is superb. Unless you like having your arse handed to you - play on easy, the AI is brutal.

I haven’t bought anything since end of August on games, but am looking forward to Yakuza 6 in March. For now, that’s it but doubtless new titles will gain my interest. I will be getting the DLC for both Steep and Horizon Zero Dawn and, once it’s had a sale price, Sonic Mania.

Games I still have to finish / go back to: Mass Effect Andromeda, Final Fantasy XV - every time I’m about to return to this, they add new pieces for free and I hold fire, Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age, Wolfenstein: The New Order and The Old Blood DLC, plus Doom.

It is guaranteed I’ll be getting a Switch with Xenoblade Chronicles 2 at some point next year.

I’m trying to think what other 2017 games I’ve played apart from the three I mentioned.

I’ve only just started Sonic Forces so can’t really judge that yet. Other than that it might only be the new Micro Machines, which I thought was a bag o’ shite.

What games are we all looking forward to in 2018?

The highlights for me are the new game from Wadjet Eye, which I can’t remember the name of (though I am a little concerned that it features customisable player characters, which is odd for a point and click) and Battletech, the new turn-based strategy game from Harebrained Scheme based on, well, Battletech.

Should be a lot of decent Switch games too, with a mainline Pokemon, Metroid Prime 4, Yoshi and Fire Emblem, though there are no details on most of those and I expect most to get delayed at some point.

Really looking forward to Red Dead Redemption 2, as well as the new God of War and Spider-Man games. And Days Gone too.

Also (if it comes out, but it seems unlikely) The Last Of Us 2.

I’ve only pre-ordered one 2018 game so far: Ni no Kuni 2. I’m really looking forward to it as I loved the first one, although it was recently delayed from early January to March 23.

Aside from that, I’m looking forward to the big ones really: Red Dead Redemption 2, Spider-Man. And if they actually come out next year, Death Stranding and Metroid.

I didn’t realise Ni No Kuni 2 was out so soon. I must get around to the first one sometime.

I backed the BattleTech Kickstarter, and it’s aiming to be out next year, so that?

SW Battlefront 2 is wildly inferior to SW Battlefront. Plenty of online players still on the first game as well.

I’ll be going back to Arkham Knight soon as I dropped it for a few weeks.

It never ended for me but kept on meandering. Now I want to finish it once and for all.