millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Video games thread - "What are you playing?"

Are you planning on the Standard edition with “the full game”, or the Ultimate Edition, which really has the full game?

$100? Just talked me out of it, thanks.

If I get it, I’m waiting for the $30 edition that includes everything.

Wow, what a pisstake.

Yeah, I think the gaming industry lost sight of what DLC is supposed to be. Additional content, not the rest of the game’s content locked behind a paywall.

A friend of mine who is into competitive gaming has been texting me today saying it’s pretty great and there’s a lot you can do right out of the box at the $55 level, but his experience with playing video games is not the same as mine.

Or he’s trying to make himself feel better about the purchase?

I’ve heard good things, but I’d hold out for a the inevitable GOTY edition too.

Anyone know what “shaders” are in that context?

I’m playing the iOS version a bit on my iPad pro. It’s a bit of fun.
I never could get to grips with the PS version of the first one, the timing of everything felt off to me. I struggled to execute the simplest of moves or combos.

Started the main endgame for DA:I.

For all that they can have significant stumbles en route, Bioware do tend to execute the lead-up story sequences for this part of the games they do very well indeed. It does feel appropriately epic and then having my team tear through Red Templars is hugely fun.

Have reached the interior of the Temple of Mythal.

I think it’s just that developer’s style. I’m not a big fan of it either, finding it too sluggish and the combos too simplistic.
Tekken is my fighting game of choice, which seems more fluid than its competitors. Mortal Kombat is at the other end of that scale for me.

Oh man, I am pissed I missed that!!!

Been replaying Jet Force Gemini on N64. Rare made some great games, but sometimes I forget how much collecting there was. I’m currently collecting the ship parts and I’m awful at the Floyd missions (controls aren’t the best) and I need to beat one to get a ship part…ugh…

I’ve started playing Donkey Kong Land 3 on the original GameBoy. I’ve had this game since about 97 or so and dimly recall playing through about half of it. I’ve always regarded it as an inferior companion piece to Donkey Kong Country 3 on the SNES and so once I got that, I’ve never felt compelled to bother with Land.

Playing it again now and that assessment was right. It is just a scaled down DKC 3, though there’s still merit to it. The pre-rendered graphics don’t work amazingly on the GB, but it is impressive that they work at all on a very limited monochrome screen.

I’m playing it on the Super Gameboy and it’s one of those “enhanced” games that has automatic palettes, spot colouring and a custom frame. It’s frame is a plethora of stopwatches on a field of bananas and I have absolutely no idea why.

Me after work: "Oh, I’ll log into Origin and get the free game “Dead in Bermuda.”

Boot up Origin, Mass Effect: Andromeda starts updating.

Me: “What? Oh, okay, whatever. I wonder what’s in the patch notes?”

Looks up patch notes.

Patch Nots: “Because we don’t want players to miss any of the great side conversations with their crew, dialogue options will no longer appear “greyed out” if a character has more to say.”

Me: “Oh, that’s interesting.”

Patch Notes: “Those of you who have the Deluxe or Super Deluxe edition will also receive two custom Nomad skins, a new casual Pathfinder outfit, and an exclusive multiplayer pack with a high chance of receiving an ultra-rare item.”

Me: …

Patch Notes: lots of multiplayer improvements including nerfed Kett and pistols and rifles that do more damage

Me: Must… be… strong… I … will… not… do it!!!

The Mrs and kid are away at the weekend so I’m planning a nice bit of retro gaming. I’m initially thinking of Eswat on the Megadrive, Sega Rally on the Saturn, Space Station Silicon Valley on the SNES and Body Harvest on the N64. I know the first two are still great but can’t remember the last two or if they still hold up.

Get your fix, boyo! Weekend’s a-flyin’!

Well, knocked the unholy hell out of Samson - I finally went and froze, roasted and shocked his arse to pieces and then gave him to Dagda to be a lab rat!

The various companion sequences after that were well done, did a couple of sidequests, managed to kill a dragon too.

Endgame for the main game now looms very close.

I have no clue what you’re on about, but it certainly sounds fun!

I gave the Prey demo one more try last night and it just isn’t grabbing me. It already feels fairly dull and repetitive and the weapons feel quite blunt, imprecise and ineffective - the polar opposite of something like Doom where you feel in perfect control at all times.

I don’t think I’ll ever come back to try the full game.