millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Video games thread - "What are you playing?"

It probably has to do with the fact that it’s essentially become a MMO. At this point people aren’t purchasing it for GTA5 they’re purchasing it for GTA Online.

I don’t know, I rebought it for PS4 a few months back (having owned it on PS3) and I’ve got no interest in the online game.

I would argue that you’re an outlier though. GTA Online has a massive, thriving player base that is constantly kept involved with new content updates.

You may well be right. But I don’t know why that would mean people were continuing to buy new copies of it any more than people continuing to buy new copies for the single-player game.

I thought the final section of the article was quite interesting and probably accurate:

[quote]This all combines with a maturing video game audience. Nowadays, people are playing games into their forties and fifties; they have the money to buy new hardware, but they may not have the time or desire to seek out fresh gaming experiences. Updated versions of reliable staples are becoming more attractive. Of course, there’s always been a nostalgic element to gaming; right now we’re seeing ever greater numbers of Xbox 360 and PS3 titles cropping up on Sony and Microsoft’s current machines, while PC gaming site Good Old Games has built a strong business out of making classic titles easily available to new users. But that’s not quite what is going on with GTA V – it’s about millions of people who have found a broad enough experience that they’re just happy to keep having it.

What this situation most closely resembles is the endless repackaging and re-mastering of the music and film industries. For a lot of fans, there are a handful of albums and movies they will keep rebuying on every new platform that comes along. That might mean owning Jaws on video cassette, DVD, Blu-ray and UHD Blu-ray, it might mean having Fleetwood Mac’s Rumours on vinyl, cassette, CD, SACD and finally – in a nicely circular consumer journey – 180g virgin vinyl. The point is, there are, in culture, certain titles that become important experiential/audiovisual benchmarks – they’re how people test and enjoy new hardware. Grand Theft Auto V is part of the first generation of games that are able – due to the way games are distributed and constantly updated these days – to be a part of that regenerative cultural phenomenon.

Perhaps this will be horrifying news for the creative minds at Rockstar North, who no doubt pride themselves on GTA’s subversive pretensions, but one reason why GTA V is still being played now is that it’s comfortable, it lasts, its components are consistently and reliably thrilling. GTA V is the dad rock of video games.[/quote]

Except that’s not a very good description of dad rock.

Because the Online gameplay has become the attraction of the game. It’s a game that continually updates itself and becomes new again.

But why would that lead to people buying copies of the game endlessly? Once you’ve got the game, the updates are free. You’re not rebuying it each time. You only need to buy the game once, whether you want the single-player or the multiplayer.

I presume that everyone who buys the game plays the single-player, but not everyone who buys the game plays the multiplayer, so doesn’t that make it at least as likely that people are buying new copies for the single-player as much as the multiplayer experience? Or do you think people are now buying the game solely for the multiplayer and ignoring the single-player?

(Genuine question as I am pretty out-of-touch with online gaming. I know that stuff like CoD tends to be sold on the strength of the multiplayer more than the single-player, but with GTA the single-player has always been such a rich experience, and very much the core of the game with the multiplayer an add-on, unlike some multiplayer-oriented games.)

I might have an alternative answer on this tomorrow…

I’m saying that new people are buying copies of the game endlessly. It’s same reason new people are still buying World of Warcraft, because it constantly updated and new again so attracts new buyers.

But that’s the entire point of a WoW style game, isn’t it? GTA has such a big single-player component that I don’t think it’s as easy to say that people are only buying it for multiplayer (which is what the whole article is about).

I can definitely see the argument that refreshing the online stuff keeps the existing user base active, but is it enough to make so many new users buy in to it that the game is still so high in the charts?

Anyway, whatever the reason, it’s impressive longevity.

Oh, I’m not saying they’re only buying it for the multiplayer. I’m saying that the multiplayer is why it’s remained such a strong seller after all this time by providing added incentive to buy it. It’s given it a staying power that most single player-only games don’t have. WoW has survived because it’s constantly adding new content, which refreshes it, puts it back in the public view through new advertising, articles, videos, reviews and word of mouth. GTA Online does the same thing for GTA5. (If you go on youtube or twitch for example and look up GTA5 most of the videos aren’t from the single player game, it’s people doing crazy stuff in the multiplayer.) I had GTA5 on the 360 and now that I have a PS4 I’m considering getting it again but because my cousins are constantly playing the online and it would be fun to play with them.

Got you. Yeah, I can see that argument.

Well, I think it’s time to put The Witcher away.

Looking through this thread, it seems like it’s given me a full solid month’s worth of entertainment - and while I could probably wrangle a couple more days out of it finishing contracts and exploring Velen, I’m at too high a level now to be challenged by anything, so it would mostly be for completionists sake.

It is a fantastic game and it joins the 100 hours club of games that I’ve played incessantly like Skyrim, Fallout, GTA and Final Fantasy.

Anyway, Im taking suggestions for what to play next. I’m thinking Dishonored 2 - I didn’t really like the first one but I saw that IGN gave it the GOTY award for PS4 so perhaps it might be worth looking at. Doom is also an option.

It’s too hot here for me to play VR, so Resident Evil 7 will have to wait and I’m not quite ready to jump into another massive world, so I think Fallout 4 will wait too.

#DOOM

Sorry, Dave. I didn’t hear that - did you want to suggest something?

:confused:

So – Doom. Are you sure? :slight_smile:

I’m going to suggest Dishonored just to be awkward.

And lo, the Hammer of Simonson fell and there was no resistance.

Thus, Masters came to play Doom and much digital slaughter commenced.

I’ve just started playing Pony Island. It’s… weird.