millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Video Game News

Don’t sweat it— I’ve been playing the latest Zelda for about 8 months now and I’m still just over halfway through. That’s getting older for you…

Don’t I know it! I’ve still barely scratched the surface of HZD and God of War.

Oh, will have to check these out on the PS4 YouTube.

Doom looks as great as ever. Some interesting new mechanics there, and cool to see some ‘new’ classic baddies back.

I love the total lack of stealth there. Shoot fat bastard, grab belly grenade from fat bastard, feed it to fat bastard and detonate.

That’s the way I like to play shooters, pile in all guns blazing! :smile:

I love that the new Doom kind of forces you to play like that, too. It’s the complete opposite approach of a lot of modern slower stealth-based games: if you don’t keep moving and stay on the offensive, you won’t last long.

Crazy if true.

The Onion has a lot to answer for.

This game is going to be gloriously insane:

gameplay looks super shitty though… =/

, Hear that? Those were your nuts exploding. Yeah, it’s that kind of game.

yeah I know… but in a post-arkham world, that combat looks lazy and cheap. I mean, look at that Spiderman video… xD

the problem is not with the type of game, but what is seen there in the video looks honestly very dated, both in terms of graphics and gameplay…

and btw, it’s a shame, 'cause that is the one franchise that would be very well suited for a balls-to-the-walls combat game…

Being more serious I quite like a combat system that isn’t Arkham-style. (And Spiderman does look to be heavily Arkham influenced in its combat.)

Have you looked at any of the Yakuza games? As it’s from the same team.

I’d like to think there’s space enough both for Arkham-style games and not. Stuff the Highlander approach to games.

No I don’t mean it has to be a capy/paste of the arkham style (like the new Spider-man game), but something a lot better than that… that looks like it came out in 2005. I dunno, I mean I guess we’ll see how it ends up, but if that is an actual trailer of the product… I don’t think it’s gonna get rave reviews, tbh.

It’s pretty difficult to depart from the Arkham style as it’s more than a little popular, there’s reason for why it is so influential. But Yakuza, even in its newest incarnations, is still a pretty retro series - your way to victory is a killer offence. So yeah, their take on FotNS is going to be similar which will either attract or repel people. Though, so far that they keep releasing Yakuza games in the west says there’s enough people buying to make it worthwhile.

I did see another gameplay vid of a boss fight that was far more problematic in that it really was just block, punch, block, punch, dodge, punch ad infinitum. It was, to quote the Leon line: A bit fucking boring.

What makes Yakuza work is the central character of Kiryu, plus a handful of others in later games combined with excellent story execution. I’m not sure this has that yet.

If you’re looking for something new, I think Biomutant might be a better place to look:

It’s a popular thing for people to go ‘that looks like a PS2 - a crap PS2 game too’ but I’m sceptical. We’ve all gotten used to HD remasters of old games which hides that the screens 13 years ago were standard definition and half the size of HD. Never mind the other developments since then.