millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Twitter Battles

I don’t get it. Is it funny because Boyle just likes calling everybody cunts?

It’s because it’s somewhat hypocritical to cause for arctic conservation while owning a company that massively contributes to climate change.

And he’s a mad cunt.

Yeah, but is the argument that we shouldn’t have airlines?

Or that rich people (ie, the people in the best position to actually do go) shouldn’t attempt to do good?

Or that a rich guy who does want to do good should divest himself of everything that made him a rich guy and give all his money away?

it does seem like boyle just likes saying cunt.

I mean, who better than dudes who own airlines to try and do something about climate change?

Dudes who plant trees?

How would you interpret the same tweet from the owner of an oil company? At least they just make it. He’s actually burning it. Aircraft fuel is some crazy shit too. :wink:

In the grand scheme of things, we probably shouldn’t have airlines, but that ship has well and truly sailed. It’s one of the true absurdities of our world that someone like Branson, who is directly responsible for a huge amount of CO2 entering the atmosphere also has a good platform for environmental awareness, and if he didn’t have his fortune, whomever did may not be as altruistic.

None of that prevents Branson’s tweet from bein hypocritical though.

And yeah, Boyle loves to say cunt. He’s almost always funner when he’s constrained in the language he can use (like on panel shows)

To be fair, in Northern Ireland and Scotland we don’t use the word cunt as pejoratively as the rest of the world, it’s almost a term of endearment in certain circumstances.

In this case, the term ‘you mad cunt’ is the sort of thing you’d say to a friend if they did something daft.

For instance, “Stop cutting the covers off your comics and sticking them on your wall, you mad cunt.”

Boyle isn’t saying Branson is a ‘cunt’ in the worst sense of the word, it’s just a turn of phrase us Scottish and Irish cunts use.

It is true. I spent some time over here in a hotel with a bunch of training staff from Glasgow. They dropped the word casually every other sentence.

Since I was a bit more widely travelled I took it in context (as I do when Boyle uses it) but some of the trainers from England were quite uncomfortable with it.

Are there Scottish/Irish feminist condemnations of the use of cunt, like there are in America for usages of the words bitch and pussy that some don’t see as sexist (such as calling a wimpy male friend a pussy)? That’s something I’ve always wondered. Is the word truly seen as divorced from gender by a reasonable majority?

I don’t think the use of the word is completely accepted in all circles. I mean if I was to walk in to work today and address my first class with “Right you mad cuts, today we’re studying trigononetry” it may raise a few eyebrows (since that class aren’t doing trigonometry for starters).

Isn’t the whole point of Boyle’s tweet not to question Branson on double standards but merely tto raise his own media profile? “Hey folks, remember me?”

Isn’t that largely the point of Twitter in general? :slight_smile:

You’re absolutely right. It’s a matter of context. I’m from Kerry and growing up swearing wasn’t really considered a bad thing. It was just punctuation. I had to train myself not to swear when I moved away for work (and to speak slower).

It’s not exclusive to Scotland and Ireland. To a many groups of people swearing is just punctuation. If you listen to the speech patterns of people who habitually use profanity, they are not actually “swearing”, in the typical sense of the word. There is no meaning behind it. It’s a verbal tick. People who say “fuck” or “cunt” in every sentence are using it the same way I use “…er…”. It’s not profanity, it’s interjection.

But Boyle is using it deliberately to get attention. That’s completely different.

Absolutely agree. It isn’t a word that I would write unless I was using it for dialogue for a character. It does come with connotations and I prefer to respect that other people might be offended…And the one time I did use it in conversation, when I was a child, my older brother beat seven shades of s***e out of me, which put me off.

I disagree. Whilst he’s obviously chosen the word to cause offence, he’s also using it for emphasis, to give his succinct message a punchy final single syllable that makes it more rhythmically satisfying than it might have been with a different noun (however strong).

Yes, he’s doing it for attention too, but his choice of words isn’t solely to offend.

It’s not exclusive but it is more common in my experience and more public. I was used to it in mainly male settings, in the pub etc.

The Glaswegians dropping loud c-words were in a 5 star hotel restaurant, with the women joining in. There’s a difference to me in how casually and openly it was accepted.

You can pool the resources of all the dudes who plant trees as their primary occupation and they still probably wouldn’t match the resources Branson has at his disposal.

I get what Boyle was doing, but it is dumb. If you are actually interested in doing something about climate change you need the people who CAN actually do something about climate change doing it.

Who cares about their motivations, if the end result is the same.

So what is Branson doing?

He’s done some things, but he’s fallen short of his own commitments;

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/sep/13/richard-branson-failed-climate-change-pledge