millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Twin Peaks - Spoilers Inside!

Just got the book in today.
And I have to say…a much better read than Secret History so far.

Not to disparage Secret History, but that book really was more for the lore than to be read as a singular work. The scrapbook nature of it all helped to sell the excitement of the final season, but also hindered it when trying to parse through it. Got to the Jerry Horne segment and the epistolary nature is definitely well executed.

Final Dossier is definitely a more gripping read. It’s about 140 pages and I read it all in one night. Secret History is twice as long and took me a week to finish. But I think it’s the more successful book. It has more character, whereas this one, by keeping its focus entirely on Tammy’s report (outside of Albert’s autopsy report at the beginning), feels much more limited. But the ideas are good, it’s very readable, and I like what it answers and chooses not to answer.

There’s a couple logic errors (at least, I’m reading them as errors) that bug me, which I’ll get to later tonight or tomorrow when I finish my recap.

Secret History has some definite highs, for sure, that Final Dossier has yet to reach for me.
The whole Lewis and Clark segment is pure gold and is genuinely eerie.

Definitely. I also got a little spooked by the article a young Andrew Packard wrote for the Twin Peaks Gazette about seeing a giant watching him during a Boy Scout expedition in Ghostwood.

All right, some more recapping. MAJOR spoilers in the “Phillip Jeffries and Judy,” “Sarah Palmer,” and “Laura Palmer” sections.

Dr. Jacoby - Lost his medical license sometime after season 2 for a “full twenty-four-hour diner menu of ethical code volations.” He went to live in Hawaii for a while, where he studied folklore about the menehune (Hawaiian versions of pixies or little folk). He spent some time on the road with the Grateful Dead as, essentially, Jerry Garcia’s psychotropics hook-up. He then moved to Amsterdam where he worked in a think tank devoted to raising human consciousness, but that fell apart during the Y2K scare. He moved to Florida, where he volunteered in the 2000 election recount. He was participating in an anthropological conference in NYC when 9/11 happened and he provided counseling to survivors and first responders.

After this, he became convinced humanity was entering a Kali Yuga or “dark age” and developed his Dr. Amp persona in the early days of blogging. He moved back to Twin Peaks, but lived in his trailer on top of White Tail Mountain and didn’t reconnect with anyone, aside from fellow druggie Jerry Horne. He lived off of savings and only traveled into town at night to restock supplies. It turns out the golden shovel began as a joke: In his podcasts, he would speak of “shoveling yourself out of the shit.” His fans (the show is actually supposed to be really popular, which The Return didn’t really communicate) loved the phrase so he capitalized on it by selling golden shovels that listeners can use as a symbol of their spiritual journey “out of the shit.” As he lives modestly and has plenty of savings, he donates most of the proceeds to charity. Preston states that he and Nadine Hurley are currently dating.

Big Ed and Norma - They get married. Andy Brennan cried throughout the ceremony and even Hawk is said to have teared up.

James Hurley - Remember his road trip in season 2 where he gets mixed up in that rich lady’s plot to murder her husband? He’s called as a witness in the woman’s trial but gets it in his head that he might have perjured himself at some point during his testimony and skips town. He heads down to Mexico where he works as a mechanic, eventually getting hired by a local cartel leader. The cartel leader’s home becomes a warzone during a drug raid but James survives by hiding in the trunk of one of the drug lord’s sports cars. He gets picked up by the local police and Big Ed and Sheriff Truman have to pull strings to get him loose. He returns to the States, serves some jail time in Oregon for fleeing the trial, then goes on the road again. After suffering a really bad motorcycle accident (which Shelley mentions early on in season 3) he gives up riding motorcycles and switches to a Ford Focus. He works once more at Big Ed’s Gas Farm, in addition to his security job at the Great Northern, and continues to write and perform songs.

Major Briggs - Preston believes Briggs either faked the fire at Listening Post Alpha mentioned in The Reurn, or the doppelganger set it. In any case, Briggs supposedly died later that day in a car crash. The body found there was too badly burned to identify (DNA technology was still in its early stages at that point) but some of Briggs’s teeth were found at the scene.

Obviously, Briggs faked his death. Preston doesn’t note where he might’ve gotten the dead body. She puts together basically what we as the audience did: He went into hiding in “the Zone” (possibly the White Lodge) before contacting Bill Hastings and Ruth Davenport to steal the coordinates the doppelganger was after. Preston posits that the purpose of the doppelganger’s criminal empire was to bankroll his “research”: his attempts to find the coordinates, and his glass box experiment. She further theorizes that Briggs hid the coordinates in Blue Rose files, and was thus able to tell Bill and Ruth exactly how to locate them. This would explain how a high school principal and a librarian were able to hack into government files.

She doesn’t theorize what Briggs needed with the coordinates, though. She thinks the doppelganger wanted them so he could access a kind of “grand central station” for the network of portals that Briggs had accessed (one near Twin Peaks, one near Buckhorn; she presumes there are others around the world). But she doesn’t know what the doppelganger wanted there.

To further complicate things, Preston states that the coordinates actually led to the boiler room under the Great Northern, not the White Lodge portal near Jack Rabbit’s Palace. But I don’t see how this could be. The doppelganger received 3 set of coordinates. 2 led him to the boulder where Richard Horne was electrocuted to death. The 3rd set of coordinates took him to the Jack Rabbit’s Palace portal. Was Frost basing this off of an earlier draft of the screenplay?

The book does offer a hint into what the doppelganger wanted with the coordinates that I’ll get to a bit later. As for Briggs’s intention with them, I believe he wanted to lure the doppelganger into the trap that eventually kills him. Briggs had no use for the coordinates himself since he already knew about the White Lodge portal.

Phillip Jeffries and Judy - Here’s another weird moment in the book. I always thought that Jeffries freaked out about the date in Gordon Cole’s office because he realized he’d been brought forward in time from Buenos Aires (where he had disappeared two years earlier). But the book states that Jeffries was seen in the Buenos Aires hotel and in Cole’s office on the same day. Preston theorizes that the doppelganger broke Ray Monroe out of prison to get to Jeffries. She wonders if Jeffries said “who do you think this is there?” about Dale because he’d just come from meeting with the doppelganger in the future–the meeting depicted in season 3. So, if I’m understanding correctly, Jeffries teleported out of Buenos Aires, somehow got inside the tea kettle thing in the motel (the Dutchman’s), met the doppelganger, then went back in time to see Gordon and Dale in Philadelphia, then returned to Buenos Aires (as shown in The Missing Pieces)? I don’t know. It’s very weird and I don’t know if it holds up.

Preston visits the hotel room Jeffries stayed in while undercover in Buenos Aires, where she makes a startling discovery. She finds the word “Joudy” carved into the wall by the phone. She realizes that Jeffries was never saying the name Judy, but Joudy. She learns that Joudy is the Sumerian name for a female demonic being that fed on suffering. The male counterpart was first called Ba’al, then Beelzebub. To me, BOB seems like a natural evolution of the male demon’s name. Preston writes “if a male and female ever united while on the earth… their resulting “marriage” would create… the end of the world as we know it.”

Sarah Palmer - Preston’s research reveals that Sarah was the girl in the 1950s New Mexico flashback from episode 8. Her father was a subcontractor on the Manhattan Project. 11 years after the Trinity bomb test, she was found unresponsive in her bedroom and taken to the hospital, along with a few other locals. No one was hurt and they all regained consciousness a few minutes later, but they all had been listening to the radio show that unaffected listeners said broke into “electrical or mechanical word sounds” for six minutes at the same time the show’s DJ and receptionist were murdered.

Oh, and Sarah’s full name? Sarah Judith Novack Palmer. Like the show, the book strongly suggests that Sarah houses the “Joudy” entity. And if BOB is Joudy’s “husband” then I think the doppelganger’s intention was always to reunite BOB with Joudy–but not in the present. I believe the doppelganger wanted the same thing Dale did–to go back in time to the night Laura was murdered. Laura–the being created by the Fireman to combat Joudy and BOB’s evil. Whereas Dale wanted to rescue Laura, the doppelganger wanted to ensure she was corrupted, as originally intended. Because then she could no longer threaten BOB or Joudy.

After Preston’s postscript, there’s a double page splash showing three faces: BOB, the Woodsman from episode 8, and a ghostly, distorted female face who looks a little like Sarah Palmer.

Laura Palmer - When Preston looks into Twin Peaks Gazette records of Dale Cooper’s disappearance at the end of season 2, she learns that Dale came to Twin Peaks to investigate Laura’s disappearance–NOT her murder. Ronette Pulaski still escaped from the train car, though it was Leo and Jaques who took her there, not Leland. Leland kills himself on the one-year anniversary of Laura’s disappearance. When Preston asks locals if Laura disappeared or if she was murdered, they have trouble recalling until finally stating that she did indeed disappear. Preston feels herself beginning to lose her memories of Laura’s murder so she leaves immediately for Philadelphia. Her memories return and she completes her report. Dale successfully altered the timeline of the original show–but as we saw in episode 18, this was not necessarily a victory.

Thanks, Will! Excellent writeup.

Yes, thanks Will. But earlier today I ordered the book (so with my time I should be opening after X-mas) so I’m not reading your posts.

Just wanted to say “above and beyond the call of duty”.

No worries, I completely understand. If anyone here intends to read the book then please, ignore all my spoilers!! :slight_smile:

The stuff from the Secret History and Final Dossier is a hell of a lot more engaging than what we got in the new series.

Realized I forgot one crucial detail from the Phillip Jeffries summary:

It turns out that neither Tammy nor Albert, nor possibly Gordon, knew that Ray Monroe (the guy the doppelganger broke out of prison) was an FBI informant. But when his body was found, they did find records of him as an informant on Bureau servers. Preston finds a recording of one of his calls to Phillip Jeffries and determines that it was Jeffries who somehow managed to get Monroe set up as an informant. It seems that Jeffries is able to influence the world from his “tea kettle” in the Dutchman’s. Although Preston doesn’t know about his current state, she does theorize that he’s completely divorced from linear time, and possibly deranged.

We already knew that Monroe and Jeffries were working together, but the revelation in episode 17 that Monroe worked for the FBI made that relationship a bit hazy. Was Monroe’s Jeffries really Jeffries, or just a Fed posing as him?
The Dossier makes it clear once again that Monroe was working for the real Phillip Jeffries.

The doppelganger received coordinates from Monroe, Jeffries, and Diane’s tulpa. I think Monroe’s and Jeffries’s led to the same place: the boulder death-trap. Diane’s, which she got from Ruth Davenport’s corpse, led to the Jack Rabbit’s Palace portal, which was the trap Briggs and the Fireman intended for him.

I think the reason for the two traps is Jeffries’s derangement. Briggs is similarly outside of time but seems to have kept his cool, from Bill Hastings’s confession and the few glimpses we get of his calm, disembodied head in the White Lodge. While the boulder trap probably would have killed the doppelganger, would it have killed BOB, or just unleashed him?

I enjoyed The Final Dossier, but not as much as The Secret History. It’s very exposition-y, and seems to mostly exist to fill in some gaps in the series, whereas The Secret History felt like it was telling its own weird story.

IS IT FUTURE
OR IS IT PAST
CHARLIE BROWN?

A very good analysis of the series:

Ok, what is going on? I’ve pre-ordered Season 3 (or “A Limited Event Series”) Blu-Ray from Amazon.ca (Canada), and I am an Amazon Prime member. I thought this was supposed to come out last Tuesday (Dec. 5th).

Got an e-mail saying they are still searching for it, and do I still want it.
Huh? Apparently I picked “import”, but no other option.

Amazon.com (US) says December 15th (odd, never Fridays) and also Dec. 5th (click here).

Is this out, or what?

F**king Lynch makes me work to love him, bastard.

It’s definitely out in the UK. I’ve been watching it since Monday. It’s even better second time around.:grinning:

That he’s out of his damn mind?

Or are we just in his mind?

A little Column A, a little Column B…

Or that The Return was written as basically a single 18-hour story that was broken up into roughly one-hour chunks during editing. Like how novels used to be serialised in chunks in magazines.