millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Twin Peaks - Spoilers Inside!

Record yourself saying Naido. Reverse the sound clip. Listen.

Bloody fucking of course it’s Diane. I can’t believe I haven’t thought of that until now.

Burt more importantly:

DALE IS BACK, BABY! WOOOHOOO!!!

Or Odian…Odin.

It’s Norse man.

Quick, check that big cast list Lynch posted a year or so ago and check if Ian McShane is on it

You do it!

I came across another side by side scene comparison, like the one Arjan posted upthread. This one compares the Experiment’s attack on the couple in NYC to Dale’s first meeting with Naido.

I think there’s something to this idea that events in the series are reflected in other scenes. The most convincing things for me in the Experiment/Naido video are the hissing noise heard in Naido’s room when the Experiment breaks through the glass in NYC, and Naido miming the Experiment’s attack.

If there’s something to this theory, it would suggest that moments of great supernatural importance are reflected in both the “real” world and the spirit dimensions. Which is something the show’s kind of been suggesting all along. It makes me think of what @Tom_Punk said after episode 8, that the Experiment might be named such because her evil is a reflection of the evil of the atomic bomb. She’s called the Experiment because the thing she echoes was an experiment. Humanity unlocking the ability to destroy all life created an echo in the spirit world that reverberated through time (which would explain how the Black Lodge’s presence in the woods of Twin Peaks predates the Lewis & Clark expedition).

I mean, shit. We keep hearing “Threnody to the Victims of Hiroshima” in scenes related to the Black Lodge. I think this is hinting at how profoundly linked the Lodge is to the bomb (beyond just the bomb opening a rift). Perhaps not the bomb itself, but the destructive power that we should never have pursued.

So, the atomic bomb birthed the evil that in turn birthed the Black Lodge beings. The Experiment’s body attacked the couple in NYC at the same time another aspect of herself tried to penetrate Naido’s house and kill Dale. (Why’s she after Dale? Beats me.) Dale’s electrical trauma–remember, electricity is a supernatural medium in Twin Peaks–is mirrored by Ruby in Twin Peaks. (Why? Perhaps because of Dale’s connection to the town, and maybe because at that exact moment Ruby was feeling a longing (she was waiting for someone, after all) that was as profound as Dale/Dougie’s longing for himself).

Perhaps another reflection we’re seeing is Audrey’s psychic turmoil spilling over into the town. Perhaps Billy is unseen because he only exists in her head (and the heads of the people she’s somehow influencing). Maybe he’s her traumatized mind’s attempt at conjuring the memory of Dale Cooper. (Or he could be the weird drunk guy in the cell next to Naido’s. I don’t know.)

This goes back to what I was saying a few weeks earlier, about the world of the show being a dream/illusion. Moments of great emotional turmoil cause ripples in the dream. But instead of one level of reality causing ripples in the other, I think there’s instead a symbiotic relationship between the “real” and the spiritual.

The doppelgangers fit with this, too. It seems that everything that enters the Black Lodge gets a doppelganger: Dale, the Man from Another Place, Leland, Laura, Annie, etc. They’re echoes. Distorted, but echoes just the same. Creating them is a function of the Black Lodge because this is the function we subconsciously need it to provide. That’s its symbiotic relationship with our world.

Seems like there’s going to be a lot to explain in the last two hours.

Nah, after the last episode…it more seems like it’ll be both a blow out and sense-filled.

We’ll get something like the endings of his more recent movies, I think. A huge emotional release that doesn’t require every piece of the plot to align in the viewer’s head to be effective.

I haven’t seen the last episode yet. I think critics are kinda right in saying there is a lot of weirdness for weirdness sake in this, and I agree with Tom there do seem to be a lot of side stories that just aren’t explained and might have been better left out. For instance the 119 lady, was she in the last episode or is it safe to assume that is a thread that is going to keep hanging unresolved.

I am going to get a subscription for a streaming service to view the last episodes. I do need to see how this ends, but my expectations are not super high. This is not Lynch’s masterwork for me, that is still Inland Empire.

She isn’t in the episode. I think it’s likely she and her son are monitor spirits, like the old woman and her grandson in the original show and FWWM. The 119 thing denotes backwards-speak and as a drug addict (and squatter?) she’s in line with the kind of derelicts and outcasts Lynch uses for Black Lodge spirits.

On the side plots, I remember Lynch saying that he had to cut a lot of supplementary material from FWWM that wasn’t necessary for the core plot but he felt was important to Twin Peaks overall. And this is what we’re getting in The Return. Stuff like Gersten and Stephen or Hutch and Chantal turn out to not be important to the core plot, but they’re important to Twin Peaks as a mood piece.

I never picked up that that was Gersten… Whoah.

@WillCarper

Regarding the themes of good and bad aspects of personality being split up into different entities, I recommend watching the latest episode of Rick and Morty. It was basically that. Fun!

Also, did Bad Dale confirm that Richard Horne was his and Audrey’s son? That’s the way I took it at least.

Yeah, that’s how I read his “my son” statement. They didn’t spend enough time together for him to feel any kind of fatherly instinct toward Richard (not that the Bad Dale ever could) so I took it literally.

I watched that Rick and Morty episode last night and thought the same thing! :smiley:

Don’t tell the people hanging out in the Game Of Thrones thread (I think they might be really upset by this), but I find Game of Thrones vastly inferior to Twin Peaks.

Watching and getting your head around Twin Peaks, identifying with characters, trying to understand their emotions and situations, while at the same time immersing in the audiovisual aesthetic is like cooking and eating a complex three course meal, and it’s damn well one of the best meals you’ve ever had.

Watching Game of thrones is like being served a three course meal well above average.

It’s not the same. Twin Peaks isn’t served. You have to make it yourself.

The A Song Of Ice and Fire books on the other hand, they are more like Twin Peaks. You have to put yourself at a strain to properly follow and get your head around the events unfolding.

Well said.

Twin Peaks never really just hands things to you. It challenges you and makes you work explanations. It makes you think.

GoT, while very well done, is a basic story. Epic, but basic.

Most notable with how it treated Theon.

Game of Thrones, even in its lesser modern state is still a phenomenal show, like top 10. But Twin Peaks: The Return is easily the best show of the century, and a strong contender for best TV show ever.

Its only competition is The Wire. Twin Peaks: The Return has more of my interests, though, so at least personally it wins.