millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Twin Peaks - Spoilers Inside!

The Woodsmen’s refrain of “gotta light?” points to their main goal being fire-related, too.

I read the Fire Walk With Me tattoo/statement of BOB and MIKE’s as meaning they’re trying to manipulate souls, perhaps the life force of our universe itself. It could even mean that they’re trying to wrestle this force away from the Fireman–“walk with ME” instead.

Fire, walk with ME

200w_d

Also, the whole poem could relate to the Giant’s POV putting that idea and what we see in Episode 8 together.

Oh yeah, nice connection. Here’s the full poem:

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see.
One chants out between two worlds
Fire walk with me.

The magician would be the Fireman observing the entrance of the Black Lodge beings into our universe. The “one” would be BOB or MIKE, or perhaps the whole Black Lodge. Their chant is a challenge to him.

Yeah, I mean the “Darkness” could be the ethereal void where “Experiment” resided or the Black-And-White nature of the White Lodge…“future past” meaning, well, his vision of Laura’s importance.

And he is ostensibly the Magician, being a sole creative force while the Black Lodge denizens can only feed.

Lynch is an enthusiastic supporter of “TM” or transcendental meditation, which is technically Hindu (although they claim to be open to all religions).

Buddhism is referred to in the original series, with Dale Cooper’s Tibetan method, and Windom Earle’s dugpa stuff (although that comes from a severe misunderstanding of the Tibetan drukpa sect).

The themes of reincarnation and karma, found both in Hinduism and in Buddhism, are also used in Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire.

Interesting, I never really saw Mulholland Drive as having those themes. Do you see Diane as a reincarnation of Betty (the wide-eyed aspiring actress)? Or vice versa?

Four out of five voices in my head say you should leave us alone.

It’s been a while since I’ve seen Mulholland Drive, but yes, the LA she imagines as “Betty” can be seen as a rebirth or a Bardo realm created by her dreams and hallucinations in which she experiences the effects of her own actions. I think she is caught in a kind of loop in which her karma catches up with her. In the movie she eventually disappears I think, after she breaks down hearing “Llorando”, and returns to the moment of her suicide.

Oh, cool. I had thought the Betty section might be an actual world of Diane’s making but didn’t realize that that’s also tied to a Buddhist concept.

As Lorcan said, this episode was jam-packed.

Some other notable moments:

Janey-E is Diane’s sister! I doubt Janey’s in on the Dougie ruse but I wonder if the Bad Dale manipulated her into falling for him. Thus, her falling in love with Dale is her first genuine response to her husband.

The English guy with the green glove had an awesome story to tell. The Fireman said quite a lot to him. Am I right in thinking that the guy’s accent is outdated, or at least super exaggerated for comedic effect?

The ringing noise in the Great Northern is emanating from that room James saw in the basement. I wonder if the noise isn’t related to Ghostwood lumber at all?

EDIT: I also think this episode gave an indirect confirmation that the Fireman pulled Laura Palmer from the Black Lodge in episode 2. Naido was also yanked quite forcefully from the roof of that limbo building in the episode she appeared in, and it seems likely that the Fireman put her in the woods for whatever role she’s going to play in the conclusion.

I am not necessarily saying Lynch saw Betty’s existence as a bardo state or a literal rebirth, and bardo as an intermediate state is not something I believe in when it comes to my own experience with Buddhism. However I think one can see parallels if one wishes.

Rebirth and karma are clearer themes in Inland Empire I think than they are in Mulholland Drive.

Oh for sure. With Lynch’s more esoteric work it’s the viewer’s interpretation that matters most. That’s part of the reason why I think he makes films the way he does; the other part being he just thinks/tells stories this way.

After Freddy’s story, I am wondering if in the finale we might see Nadine with her super strength fighting off the woodsmen with a golden shovel…

The Power Glove fighting off some otherworldly ghoul would be aces.

Thinking more about the dreamer quote, what it could mean.

I think it’s just underlining the themes of the show–namely, that these demons are us. I’m thinking it’s sort of like an Invisibles thing. The world is a collective dream and the otherworldly monsters are just the ugly parts of ourselves reflected back at us. This would mean the Fireman is our higher, selfless values. They both come from outside of time, from the real us, because linear time is the backbone of the illusion. This would also explain MIKE’s “Is it future or is it past?” question which he’s asked Dale a few times–he’s pointing to the meaninglessness of time, from his point of view.

I don’t know, just spitballing. But I think trying to identify a single dreamer is a red herring. Seeing the dreamer as all of us kinda fits.

I felt the dreamer line was more about the uncertainty of life at an innate level we cannot truly predict. We can ascertain some level of meaning in a dream, except for the source.

Just like they are trying to do with these Blue Rose cases.

I read the scene as Cole and the others interpreting the dream as a clue in the over-arching mystery, like Dale’s dreams from season 1-2, but that’s a valid reading for sure.

The video title is misleading, this is a special feature from the original series Blu-Ray in which Lynch interviews Leland, Sarah and Laura Palmer, released a few months before series 3 was announced.

I love that video. As this season went on I began to worry Grace Zabriskie might not get any scenes to top her material here.

Very glad to be wrong!