millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Top Ten Movies Of This Century!

Following on from the discussion in the Lists and Movies threads, let’s try and compile a ranking of Millarworld’s favourite movies of this century.

Post your top-10 lists below, and we’ll do a final tally in maybe a week or so.

(For the purposes of this thread, 2000 counts as this century, pedants. :slight_smile: )

4 Likes

The Two Towers - I think LOTR should have at least one entry, and TTT is the best of the movies. It’s missing the twaddle of the first movie, and the pomp of the third. It feels like a proper fantasy novel bare bones story. It’s all about the third act though, I can barely say what happens in the rest of the movie.
POTC - Remains the best blockbuster movie ever made. It’s just perfectly put together.
Man of Steel - Haters gonna hate.
Guardians - This is my self involved pick. It’s probably not one of the best movies by most measures, but it’s one of my best.
40 Year Old Virgin - Best comedy in a generation and a comedy needed to be included. You can watch any 15 minutes and be laughing.
Brokeback Mountain - I was ready to mock the earnestness of this movie, but Heath Ledger shut me up. It’s a movie about being a man and all the things you do wrong as a result.
Star Trek - The energy of this movie is just incredible. And the cast are amazing. It’s really underrated.
Moneyball - I love this movie unreasonably. It’s about a man who build his own thing, risks everything, holds out when the entire world is against him, and he wins. Sort of. The best metaphor for life movie I’ve ever seen. And the direction is incredible.
Kung Fu Hustle - Second best comedy, best action, best vibe, best style, most imaginative. The courage it takes to make this kind of movie and trust audiences will get it is a triumph of vision and faith.
Kill Bill - I think this is Tarantino’s best work. I love that he took his time. I love that none of it went the way you expected it to go. Uma Turman will never be better cast. It feels like no revenge movie can come after it. And I needed a Tarantino movie on my list.

For those who might be interested, the movies I struggled to not include were Gangs of New York, The Departed, The Martian, No Country, Dark Knight, LEGO Movie, Gravity, Toy Story 2 & 3, Mad Max, Avengers, Wolf of Wall St and Les Mis.

5 Likes

I’d say that’s fair.

2 Likes

Just realized Kung Fu Hustle was 2005 so the Lego movie has to go.

Thanks for doing this Dave. I was in the middle of starting a thread but you beat me to it (hence why my top ten was so quick).

4 Likes

It’s on :wink:

No worries. I thought you were quick! :slight_smile:

Yeah, if people change their lists it makes sense to do what Jim has done and edit their post, as it’ll make it much easy to tally later.

For the same reason we should probably all stick to a pretty strict 10-movie list (although I guess there’s no harm in giving mention to other close contenders afterwards, separate from the list).

2 Likes

I don’t do an order as it’s difficult to directly compare films of very different genres.

The Avengers
Love Actually
The Inbetweeners Movie
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
The World’s End
In Bruges
Pan’s Labyrinth
Borat
Spirited Away
Submarine (but mainly because that film is pretty much about me).

As usual with my charts, it would change, but not dramatically, if I picked it next week. I prefer comedy to action it seems although I find little appeal in most Hollywood comedy.

5 Likes

This is absurdly hard. This list would probably change if I thought about it for longer.

Almost Famous
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
The Guard
The Avengers
Skyfall
Memento
Batman Begins
The Raid
Mad Max: Fury Road.
The Bourne Identity

Edit: Bubbling under would be Brick, Hot Fuzz, Death at a Funeral (the original British one) and Pirates of the Carribean 1, The Royal Tenenbaums, Paddington, and Shaun the Sheep Movie…although the last one might be just because I watched it last week. And True Grit.

5 Likes

OK, here’s my best effort (subject to changes when I kick myself and remember something I forgot!). I’m trying to remember those films that really wowed me when I first saw them, and haven’t dimmed in my mind over the years.

Spirited Away
Lost In Translation
Memento
The Fountain
Toy Story 3
The Dark Knight
Spider-Man 2
Synecdoche, New York
Her
Black Swan

(Special mentions for Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, Far From Heaven, Eternal Sunshine, Whiplash, Birdman, Ex Machina and Moulin Rouge! - I would have fitted them in my list if I could.)

5 Likes

1.Whiplash - Having worked in music, drummers are a complete nightmare, the last thing I ever thought I would enjoy is a film about drumming… But this film is outstanding in every way… It’s like cocaine in celluloid form, by the end of it, it has your blood pumping the same way.

2.The Prestige - This film is like a fine piece of classic literature… It has such depth in terms of everything it does and how it delves into obsession, it’s a modern equivalent of Moby Dick.

3.Kill Bill (Pts 1 & 2) - It’s brilliant. There’s no other way to describe it.

4.Mesrine (Pts 1 & 2) - Outstanding true life crime drama from France that’s as entertaining as it is gritty.

5.Anchorman - It’s almost the perfect comedy, it doesn’t try to make you laugh so much as just be delightful and hilarious in spite of the audience. It’s funny almost by mistake. It’s just the right side of barmy and continually quotable and just plain entertaining. Everything a comedy should be.

6.City Of God - It’s the cinematic equivalent of The Wire.

7.Avengers Assemble - As a child I never thought I’d watch anything like this in the cinema. The fact it’s actually, genuinely a solid film in pretty much every way it needs to be, and more, is amazing within itself considering how much was spent making it.

8.The Act Of Killing - Documentary films can be beautiful or ingenious or educational or have a message that says something about the world we live in or catch incredible moments. The Act Of Killing does all of those and stays with you along time after, providing both despair and hope in it’s depiction of just how inhuman humans can be.

9.Kung Fu Hustle - It’s truly beautiful visually and story wise and is a complete joy of a film. It’s the type of fairy tale that on paper sounds silly and idiotic but is brought to life with the sort of gusto that makes it a genuine piece of genius.

10.Deadpool - It’s fucking class.

Some that nearly got there…

Ocean’s Eleven - Because it’s been watered down by its sequels I think people forget what a fantastically entertaining film this is. Without the sequels people would be mentioning it in the same breath as The Italian Job.

Pitch Black - Again, something watered down by its ‘sequels’, Pitch Black is a fantastic horror sci fi film that does absolutely everything right.

Guardians Of The Galaxy - I am Groot. I am Groot I am Groot.

4 Likes

I also considered these. Both are easily in my top 20.

2 Likes

I love The Prestige…I should really have that on my list. I love that it starts out as one type of film but turns into a very different type of film.

3 Likes

Definitely. And it manages to do it in such a fantastic way, emulating the elements of a magic trick itself…

Opening narration -

Every great magic trick consists of three parts or acts. The first part is called “The Pledge”. The magician shows you something ordinary: a deck of cards, a bird or a man. He shows you this object. Perhaps he asks you to inspect it to see if it is indeed real, unaltered, normal. But of course…it probably isn’t. The second act is called “The Turn”. The magician takes the ordinary something and makes it do something extraordinary. Now you’re looking for the secret… but you won’t find it, because of course you’re not really looking. You don’t really want to know. You want to be fooled. But you wouldn’t clap yet. Because making something disappear isn’t enough; you have to bring it back. That’s why every magic trick has a third act, the hardest part, the part we call “The Prestige”.

Closing narration -

Every magic trick consists of three parts, or acts. The first part is called the pledge, the magician shows you something ordinary. The second act is called the turn, the magician takes the ordinary something and makes it into something extraordinary. But you wouldn’t clap yet, because making something disappear isn’t enough. You have to bring it BACK. Now you’re looking for the secret. But you won’t find it because of course, you’re not really looking. You don’t really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

I could write a 10,000 word essay on how outstandingly well told the story in this film is.

5 Likes

I’ve just realized the reasons for my 9th and 10th pick are completely interchangeable.

3 Likes

This could easily change, but first draft:

Frances Ha
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Royal Tenenbaums
Drive
Hot Fuzz
Whiplash
Mad Max: Fury Road
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Brick
Best In Show

6 Likes

Probably forgetting a bunch but the top 2 stand:

Mulholland Drive
Shame
Inglourious Basterds
Oldboy (2003)
The Proposition
Kill Bill Vol. 1
Drive
Under the Skin
Donnie Darko

3 Likes

Whiplash
Drive
Moonrise Kingdom
The Big Short (I love this movie)
Inglorious Basterds (The Michael Fassbender bar sequence is, I think, one of the best 20 minutes ever put to film.)
Never Let Me Go
Gone Girl
Where the Wild Things Are
The Avengers (Remains the best experience I’ve ever had watching a movie in the theater)

EDIT: Honorable Mentions: The Prestige and John Wick

EDIT 2: Damnit, I forgot about Coen Brothers films. This is fucking hard…

EDIT 3: Forgot about Pixar films, too.

4 Likes

Well it’s pretty much impossible to do an “objective” list, so I’ll do it based on what impacted me the most as a viewer (taking into account that I mostly watch sci-fi) and in no particular order:

Donnie Darko - Nothing to say here really, this is pure cult classic.

Nightwatch / Daywatch - Even though they’re 2 movies, it’s one big story in 2 parts, so I’m counting it as one… Fantasy crazyness in a Russian setting. The visuals alone make it a must, but seeing this kind of movie from a sooo different perspective and cultural background is really enriching and something “we” (as in westerners) don’t usually get.

Hero - Same thing as above… to me this is probably the best asian/kung-fu movie that’s come out since the new wave of asian movies (after the success of CTHD, which I didn’t really like, tbh). It’s like visual poetry.

Kingdom of Heaven - Oh I love this one… and it’s still so relevant, contextually, but everything in this one works perfectly… acting, music, story, costumes… it’s a gem.

Shaun of the Dead - Another cult classic, both in the comedy and zombies dptms.

JCVD - Why go with Birdman when you can go for JCVD? =P This movie is RAW and visceral as heck… it has a lot of comedy and heartfelt moments too (it helps if you know about JCVD’s media meltdowns though).

The Man from Earth - This is as indie as indie gets… made for 10 bucks by the look of it, but the story carries this movie beautifully despite the lack of overall quality in every regard.

The Prestige - I really wanted to include at least one Nolan flick, 'cause he’s one of the top filmmakers of the century for sure… so any of the Nolan trilogy could do… as in Memento, Prestige, Inception… none of that Batman crap =P but the Prestige is probably the best of the 3 cause it’s not overly complicated, but it’s still as complex as the other 2.

Le Fabuleux Destin d’Amelie Poulain (aka “Amelie”) - A french one 'cause why not? =P Also, incredible display of film-making in every regard.

Man of Steel - This is my CB pick for “best of” just because I kinda feel obliged to include a CB flick in the list, this being a CB board and all… if you need to ask “why MoS?” then you wouldn’t understand =P

I’m pretty satisfied with this list… =)

4 Likes

Amelie is lovely. I forgot about that.

2 Likes