• Her
  • Another Year
  • Winter’s Bone
  • Drive
  • Birdman
  • The Grand Budapest Hotel
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
  • Waltz with Bashir

As usually with these lists, I list them as they come to me, and I’ve probably forgotten a few that’ll make me angry when I remember them. And there are a few I haven’t seen yet that might have made it. But it’s as good a list as any, I suppose.

I loved Naked, but for some reason I have never watched any of Mike Leigh’s other movies. I will have to check out Another Year.

Did 2009-2018:

A Serious Man
John Carter
Mad Max: Fury Road
Tron: Legacy
Manchester By The Sea
Ruby Sparks
Cloud Atlas
The Peanuts Movie
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Shin Godzilla

And, wow, I ran out of space fairly quickly.
Had to parse this out from a list of about 30.
But I think this is probably the top of what I enjoyed.

I had to look it up, and yes, In Bruges came out in 2008. It seems like I first saw that film more than 11 years ago.

I had to look up In Bruges too - it feels early-2000s for some reason.

Why this thread hasn’t been called “ten films of all the decade”? Or “ten films of the 21th century”. Naming movies set by this rule would lead to repeating. And ten movies of the last ten years don’t leave much to breathe, 'cuz I know probably my pick would be the same next year.

Anyway, my take would be (2010-2018)
Inception
Batman vs Superman
Dunkirk
The Martian
The Wolf of Wall Street
The Hangover 2
Birdman
The Nice Guys
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Kick Ass

I suspect that it’s because it feels like early Colin Farrell at this point, where it’s sort of the midpoint of his career to date, and helped point him in the direction of art films like The Lobster.

Yeah, I think that’s part of it. I think I mentally placed it around the same time as Daredevil and Phone Booth.

I think the other part of this is that In Bruges just stood out so much and had such a big influence. At least for me it did.

This is a correct answer. The Paddington films have no right to be as good as they are.

Also the best and campest end credits scene ever.

I really enjoyed Paddington 1 but loved 2. It’s brilliant.

I’ll play! In no particular order and subject to change if I think of something else:

Logan
Guardians of the Galaxy
Step Brothers
Dunkirk
Inglorious Basterds
Toy Story 3
Spotlight
American Hustle
Mad Max: Fury Road
True Grit

Honorable Mentions/Others Receiving Votes: Grand Budapest Hotel, Get Out, La La Land, Manchester by the Sea, The Big Short, Wolf of Wall Street, Birdman, Silver Linings Playbook, Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close, The Social Network, Deadpool, the Dark Knight, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Black Panther

There have been a lot of great movies the past decade, but not a lot of great comedies. This disturbs me.

I don’t watch that many movies any more so I’m not going to be able to really judge everything that came out, but it just came on On-Demand recently and it’s one of the best movies I’ve seen in years. Ready Player One is fantastic. Absolutely fantastic, and another highlight for Spielberg. I know it got blasted by critics and didn’t do well at the box office, but I disagree completely. The effects and the imagination and the world he built is amazing. The action is superb. The script is finely polished, and all of it makes for a movie that to me captures this ear better than anything I’ve seen.

It might be that folks forgot that it was a kids movie, and so the baddie is simplified and the story might have a plot hole or two, but that doesn’t take away from it in my view. It just makes the movie accessible to all ages and all backgrounds.

It’s up there with the Lego Movie as something I just really admire and wish everyone felt the same about. Fantastic work by everyone involved.

And on that recommendation, I’m finally gonna check it out.

I had a great time watching Ready Player One. I loved the book and the film kept the rough outline the same while changing the details making it a similar yet separately rewarding experience. Both really played to the strengths of their respective media.