millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Top movies of the 2000s

It was inevitable.

What are your top films released in 2000-2009?

Here’s my attempt.

Lost in Translation - this is quite a personal choice, a movie that came out just at the right time for me as I was feeling a bit adrift and living in a foreign country. It really speaks to me and I think it says some lovely things about the human condition, while also being pretty funny and containing maybe the last truly great Bill Murray performance.

Spirited Away - another movie that I feel a really personal connection with. The message is maybe my favourite of any animated movie, the designs and music and animation are all beautiful, and I genuinely felt like a different person after watching it. Magical.

Children of Men - stunning and brilliantly made, this hit me really hard. I haven’t watched it in years - I need to rectify that.

The Fountain - I know it’s polarising but I Iove it. The structure of it is incredibly clever, it looks fantastic and the stories all come together brilliantly. Really heartfelt and powerful.

Lord of the Rings - I’m cheating a bit by having all three as one choice, but this was an amazing achievement that changed films in a number of ways. A shame the Hobbit films were a bit crap in comparison.

Spider-Man 2 - the best superhero film ever?

X-Men 2 - the second best superhero film ever?

The Dark Knight - I feel a bit weird putting this but not Iron Man, as both came out at the same time and were great in their own way, kicking superhero movies up to the next level. But this one has so many great moments and was never topped, whereas I feel like the MCU ended up growing even bigger and better than Iron Man.

Memento - So simple but so effective. I watched this over and over after it came out. Once you get past the twists, you notice all the other clever little touches, particularly in the writing, that make the story hang together.

Amélie - a bit twee and it maybe hasn’t aged well, but I loved this when it came out and it turned me on to a lot of Jeunet’s other films.

This was hard. Going through the possibilities in my mind mad me realise that I probably saw more films at the cinema during this decade than any other, and I could easily have made a list of 30 or 50 favourites.

My list of favs:

The Prestige
American Psycho
Spirited Away
Oldboy
Requiem for a Dream
Kill Bill Vol. 1
Memento
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Iron Man
The Dark Knight

Honourable mentions to:

Snatch
Lord of the Rings
Gladiator
City of God
The Departed
No Country For Old Men
Incredibles
Wall-E
Finding Nemo
Donnie Darko
Mulholland Drive
Watchmen
Sin City
Pan’s Labyrinth
…and many more.

Gladiator
Tigerland
O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Unbreakable
The Patriot
Cast Away
Memento
The Fellowship of the Ring
Attack of the Clones
Star Trek Nemesis
Kill Bill Vol. 1
Phone Booth
Finding Nemo
The Matrix Reloaded
Alexander
Kill Bill Vol. 2
Troy
Munich
Revenge of the Sith
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Batman Begins
The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
The New World
The Departed
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest
Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby
Hollywoodland
Superman Returns
World Trade Center
The Da Vinci Code
Children of Men
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
The Dark Knight
The Fall
In Bruges
Inglourious Basterds
(500) Days of Summer
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
Star Trek

Ah… This’d be easier than previous.

Memento
Spiderman 2
Black Hawk Down
Ninja Assassin
The Assassination of (Brad Pitt)
The Departed
Matrix Revolution
Ocean’s Eleven
Oh, Brother Where Art Thou

The 00s are the years where superhero movies really took off. And big indie production got flourishing. The director who showed prominence in 90s as well.

I’ll try.
• Ichi the Killer - mindless gore & violence
• The Wrestler - great writing & dialog that I have to watch every time it’s on.
• Raid: The Redemption - the best fighting scenes in one movie that I’ve seen in a long time.
• Scott Pilgrim - A fun movie that makes me smile wherever I watch it.
• Kung Fu Hustle - possibly my favorite movie. A great combination of action, comedy, & a hero’s journey.

Not even gonna attempt to do a top 10 or even a list for this… there’s WAAAAY too many…

Special shout outs to obviously the LOTR trilogy, which is probably one (or three, really) of the most important movies of the decade.

To the russian Night Watch & Day Watch duology, 'cuase they’re awesome.

And to Donnie Darko, 'cause it’s probably the most cult of the 2000’s cult movies =P

I forgot all about these movies. Too bad he never finished the trilogy. He said that “Wanted” was how the third film would have been

No, I think the story ended in the 2nd… there was talk of an amercian made 3rd film at some point, but I don’t think it was directly related to that sotry…

01/ Spider-Man 2
02/ The Dark Knight
03/ Lost In Translation
04/ Anchorman: The Legend Of Ron Burgundy
05/ Pirates Of The Caribbean: The Curse Of The Black Pearl
06/ Up
07/ Donnie Darko
08/ American Psycho
09/ Almost Famous
10/ Gladiator

Also, Bring It On. Seriously. Love it.

It was meant to be a trilogy. There were originally 3 books (now there seems to be a 4th).

6 books according to my book case…

Well what I read a long ago was what I said… but of course there’s been many “rumors” and changes of plans… at any rate, the main story of Anton was pretty much resolved, so if there’s never a follow up, I’m okay with it, although I’d definetly like to revisit that world, but only if Timur does it and does it like he did back then, 'cause his recent movies haven’t been too impressive, tbh.

1. Donnie Darko

2. Kill Bill volume 1

3. Shaun of the Dead

4. 50 First Dates

5. Step Brothers

6. Pan’s Labyrinth

7. Kill Bill Volume 2

8. A History of Violence

9. Lost in Translation

10. Spider-Man 2

1. The Royal Tenenbaums

2. Synechdoche, New York

3. Lord of the Rings Trilogy (if I must pick one: The Two Towers)

4. A Serious Man

5. Old Joy

6. Spider-Man 2

7. There Will Be Blood

8. Mulholland Drive

9. 24 Hour Party People

10. The 25th Hour

Honorable mention list: Ghost World, Adaptation, Morvern Callar, The Squid & the Whale, Children of Men, Assassination of Jesse James…, Zodiac, Funny People, Inglorious Basterds, Observe and Report, Sweetgrass

1. A Serious Man
  2. Mulholland Drive
  3. The Man who Wasn’t There
  4. Inland Empire
  5. Lost in Translation
  6. Hero
  7. Broken Flowers
  8. Oldboy
  9. Adaptation
  10. Unbreakable

Fuck…observe and report…that needs to go on my list, probably along with the Royal Tennenbaums.

I need to take more time over these things.

Super Troopers is underrepresented at the moment…

I’m not sure I can trust any of your lists as you’ve all missed such a gem.

There’s some awful movies being listed here :smile:

I feel bad for overlooking Dude, Where’s My Car?

And Air Bud only miss the list cause it came out in '97 :rofl: