millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Top Cat cast with their cartoon counterparts!

This almost makes me want to cry for some reason. It’s just too great!

When I saw this thread title I thought for one heart-stopping moment that someone had decided to make a live-action Top Cat movie with real cats. :crying_cat_face:

Wow, Benny is so … Benny!

The weird thing for me about Top Cat is Choo-Choo.

I’ve recently got into The Phil Silvers Show (Sgt Bilko), which Top Cat is mostly cribbed from. TC is Bilko, Benny is Pvt Doberman (and played by the same actor) and Choo-Choo is dead on for Cpl Henshaw. right down to the voice. But they hired an imitation voice for Choo-Choo, even though Henshaw’s actor, Allan Melvin, did loads of cartoon voices for Hanna-Barbera. He was the voice of Magilla Gorilla til the 90s even.

I think Top Cat might have pre-dated his animation work actually, so I suppose it’s possible he only got into doing voice work after missing out on Top Cat, but it seems odd.

He could well have just been busy with something else at the time rather than it being a specific choice not to do it on his part or not to ask him by the the production team.

That’s often the case with voiceover work, especially where they double up with an acting career, doubly so if it’s a theatre job where they are tied up doing 2 shows a day 6 days a week.

Ever see Sgt Bilko?
The Phil Silvers Show version, as there was never a movie, even if you think you’ve seen it.
I think he was the only actor to crossover in basically the same role across the two shows.