millarworld.tv Comics Creators

Thought Bubble 2017 Catchup

Hello Team!
So Thought Bubble is nearly upon us again and I was wondering if any board members are attending again this year.
Here’s the quick link to the very un-user friendly Convention Programme

If anyone is keen to catch up for a few quiet pints Friday night sing out other wise I will see you all at the Saturday night Party at trinity Kitchen.

So after digging through the programme here’s what I will be lining up

2000 AD Writing Competition 2017 // Live Event // 1130 OR I WILL FIGHT YOU
Sat 23 Sept, Carriageworks Studio Theatre (Fifth Floor), 11:30-12:20, free entry with Saturday/Weekend convention pass, All Ages, but please note: Thought Bubble does not control panel content
So you want to write for 2000 AD? Bravo, Earthlet – but dare you put your idea to the test in the Theatre of Thrills?
Future Shocks have not only been a staple of 2000 AD since 1977 but have forged some of its greatest writing talents, including Alan Moore and Grant Morrison!
Writers are being invited to pitch their ideas for a brand new Future Shock to a panel of our top script droids on the Saturday at Thought Bubble – but they have just two minutes to make their case! Can you condense your idea, plot, and characters for a self-contained, four-page short story with a twist ending down into just 120 seconds? And in front of an audience? And convince some of our best writers that it’s a winner? Only the bold shall be victorious!
The clock is ticking! Can you make your pitch and write your way into a job with 2000 AD? Get writing and make sure you’re first in line to appear – it’s first come, first served! Only our panel can decide whether your idea is worthy of the Mighty Tharg’s attention – the prize is getting paid to have your winning script turned into a Future Shock in the pages of the Galaxy’s Greatest Comic!

Comics in Conversation: Brian k Vaughan // Live Event // 1300

Sat 23 Sept, Carriageworks Main Auditorium, 13:00-13:50, free entry with Saturday/Weekend convention pass, All Ages, but please note: Thought Bubble does not control panel content
This year we are absolutely delighted to be welcoming the Eisner award-winning writer of Saga, Paper Girls, Y The Last Man, Ex Machina (and many, many more brilliant comics series) to Thought Bubble, and are very pleased to present this special Comics in Conversation event, where Brian K. Vaughan will be discussing his career with journalist and PR-Coordinator for Rebellion Mike Molcher.

Black Crown - The Ruling Class // Panel // 1400

Sat 23 Sept, Carriageworks Main Auditorium, 14:00-14:50, free entry with Saturday/Weekend convention pass, All Ages, but please note: Thought Bubble does not control panel content
Join curator/editor Shelly Bond and a coterie of miscreants as they spill secrets about IDW Publishing’s new curation operation. Meet David Barnett and Martin Simmonds, the creative team behind the new ongoing series PUNKS NOT DEAD, as well as the warped denizens of the BLACK CROWN QUARTERLY, led by proprietor Rob Davis, CUD bandmates/ co-writers Will Potter and Carl Puttnam and Jamie Coe. Plus: Special surprise guests including house letterer Aditya Bidikar!

Young Animal x Thought Bubble // Panel // 1700

Sat 23 Sept, Carriageworks Main Auditorium, 17:00-18:00, free entry with Saturday/Weekend convention pass, All Ages, but please note: Thought Bubble does not control panel content
We’re delighted to be welcoming the creative masterminds behind DC’s Young Animal to Leeds on this, the imprint’s first birthday, and want to invite you to this very special panel! Find out what’s in store for the future, and help celebrate this first anniversary in style at this informal panel discussion between the comics’ creators, editor, and Young Animal’s curator Gerard Way.
With Speakers: Cecil Castellucci, Nick Derington, Tommy Lee Edwards, Jody Houser, Jon Rivera, Gerard Way, and Marley Zarcone.
Hosted by Vertigo Group Editor, Jamie S. Rich.

SUNDAY
comiXology 10th Birthday Party at Trinity Kitchen // Live Event // 1900

Sat 23rd Sept, Trinity Kitchen, Trinity Leeds, 27 Albion St, Leeds LS1 5ER, from 19:00-01:00, strictly 18+, FREE, please bring a valid form of photo ID to gain entry

Strip Panel Naked // Panel // 1100

Sun 24 Sept, Leeds Town Hall, Victoria Hall Stage, 11:00-11:50, free entry with Sunday/Weekend convention pass, All ages, but please note: Thought Bubble does not control panel content
Ever wanted to analyse how the creative team behind a comic layer meaning and story into the visuals of the page? Strip Panel Naked is a weekly YouTube show that takes a deep-dive into exactly that. Think Every Frame a Painting but for comics. Join us for a live edition of the show, where we’ll talk to creators about how they went about the writing, art, colours and lettering across a few pages of their work, and how those choices end up affecting the reader.
With Speakers: Declan Shalvey, Jordie Bellaire, Aditya Bidikar, Christian Ward.
Hosted by Hassan Otsmane-Elhaou.

Creating Worlds // Panel // 1200

Sun 24 Sept, Leeds Town Hall, Victoria Hall Stage, 12:00-12:50, free entry with Sunday/Weekend convention pass, All ages, but please note: Thought Bubble does not control panel content
This year we’ve brought some of the best creators in comics to Leeds, so please join us for what’s sure to be a fascinating panel talk on the reality of inventing worlds for creator owned projects, as well as inhabiting those of comics’ hottest licensed properties.
With speakers Sara Kenney, Ariela Kristantina, Alison Sampson, Si Spurrier, James Stokoe, and Brian K Vaughan.
Hosted by Steve Morris of CBR and Comics MNT.

Kickstarter and Comics: A Crash Course // Live Event // 1300

Sun 24 Sept, Leeds Town Hall, Victoria Hall Stage, 13.00 – 13.50, free entry with Sunday/Weekend convention pass, All ages, but please note: Thought Bubble does not control panel content
Spike Trotman, founder of Iron Circus Comics, has successfully run and funded 13-for-13 Kickstarters to the tune of over $750,000 and is an official Kickstarter Thought Leader. She’s set the standards for KS’ed comics best practices, and after 9 years of experiments, mistakes, triumphs and regrets, she has a LOT of advice to share!
Drop in for an hour of Kickstarter post-mortems, practical help, warnings, and gossip.

and then away home and hopefully sleep in the car whilst my wonderful partner puts up with my ramblings and empty wallet

Hey Mark. I’ll be in attendance from early Saturday morning until Sunday evening. Be good to grab a beer. I think I’ve said that to so many people now if I have them all it’s going to be messy. Vin won’t have his sketch book launching at the show anymore as it isn’t quite ready though he’ll still be there at the BHP table a couple of hours each day. Not sure who else on the board will be in attendance.

I really wanted to go this year and had planned to get in touch with them and film some stuff for Superhero Dojo, but unfortunately I’m Best Man for a stag do that was booked back in Janurary for that whole weekend. I was very disappointed when TB fell on the same dates.

That’s a bit of a pain Patrick especially when they changed the date this year.

Ahhhh, I knew there was something up with the dates, I had it in my head they were different and thought it must have been user error when I initally seen 2017 dates and I’d spotted the wrong ones or something. That definitely makes it more disappointing. As I work weekends it’s difficult to go to any Cons (I dont get holiday pay so I have to go without pay to attend even before travel and hotel and entry fee the weekend) but I really want to make the effort for Thought Bubble!

Always next year pal!

I’ll deffo come and find you at the pitchfest :+1:

so joining the que with me at 9? :wink:

Some may take a dim view on me entering again seeing how I get a mention in the 2000AD web blurb :thinking:

“Join previous winners Rory McConville and Andrew Williamson whose stories have all gone on to appear in the pages of 2000 AD!”

Note: only Rory has the plural - - yet :wink: