millarworld.tv Comics Creators

This is where you talk about Fight Club.

Only the first 3 issues

I didn’t meet Tyler for another hour. I was Jack’s complete lack of surprise.

I thought that was a swollen orbital socket from being punched.

Hahaha. I’m better at taking a beating than that. :wink:

We can test that theory.

It was a real talking point of the time though, the Federal Opposition leader here in 2003-04 (vying to be Prime Minister) was on board with this idea; he’d often talk about a crisis of masculinity - I don’t know if he was inspired primarily by the book, or if it was part of a broader consensus that a generation of males raised by women in the midst of 2nd wave feminism would be a tad broken.

I saw it at the cinema with pals and enjoyed the performances and aesthetics and some shocking/funny moments (“Shatner. I’d fight Shatner.”), but didn’t obsess over it. 2 years later it topped either Empire or Total Film’s (I was reading both regularly then) “Best films of the 90s” list - I did not see that coming.

I dont think the revolutionary message in FC is meant to be taken seriously.

Its just an absurd examination of repressed masculinity. Its Brecht. Thats all.

Absurd is the key word, no doubt.

Indeed it is

Well, thinking about DKR in context of FC:
The part with Batman on a high horse, rallying up the angry violent male youths. Former Mutants, former Nazis, now Sons of Batman. The reluctant expression on one SoB. And then -lightening strikes and authority rules - Batman leads them to a socially relevant purpose. (And later forms a stealth army)
"The Sons of Batman don’t talk. We act."
Yeah, spacemonkeys.

Not rolling up my sleeves to pound some of you to the floor, but…
Nihilism is some anti-moral and anything not moral is dangerous?
Seriously?
To what I understand nihilism is anti-life and hence dangerous.
Also, I dare say it is possible to not invest yourself in society’s norms and religious morals without harming the people who abide by it. It’s what I call an outsider without the lust for vengeance.

And this made me laugh: The narrator isn’t the hero?
No kidding.
There are no heroes. No villains. No salvation.
At least not in this story.

Sure takes some wits for not taking all of it literally.
If this can’t teach you anything, well, what actually can?

Do they die at the end? I thought the building they were in wasn’t rigged with explosives?

Cornelius defuses the bomb in the van in their building, while being distracted by Tyler. Tyler knows which wire to cut but Cornelius doesn’t, as an example of how split the personalities are at that point it’s pretty good.

Having people ask me what movies were about was my favourite part of working in a video store (way back when).

• Trainspotting - It’s about trains.
  • Seven - Dwarves.
  • You want a fishing video? Have you seen Jaws?

Overall, I think the movie is really great. I really don’t believe it was painting a flattering protrait of Tyler Durden or people like him, and it is more allegorical than realistic. It explores how people may become drawn to extremism, in many shapes and guises. Extremism in behavior, extremism in psychological make up as a violent identity crisis, extremism in politics etc.

It can be liberating to “let go” of social constraints and niceties but also dangerous. It is not a good thing or a cool thing but it is seductive. I’m sure some people may watch the movie and think Tyler Durden is a Messiah but that is not necessarily the movie’s message. Wether the movie has a message and what it is is entirely subjective.

Absolutely. Fight Club is a critique of what we now call toxic masculinity, but the people who are inspiried by it are the sort of person who rejects that very concept. It’s not dissimilar to the people who see A Clockwork Orange and think Alex and the Droogs are awesome.

And I say this as someone who loves Fight Club and has frequently discussed how so many people miss the whole point of the movie with other people who love it.

Fight Club is not alone in this viewpoint. It just seems to be the most familiar one. Like @Lorcan_Nagle said, there’s a whole strain of these guys out there. The rhetoric sounds a bit like something out of a Trump rally.

I’m not sure how many people missed the point of the movie, vs how many chose to reject it, which is not the same thing.

You can watch a movie like Star Wars and prefer to be Darth Vadar rather than Luke Skywalker. That doesn’t mean you don’t understand the film, it just means you’re the kind of person who (if Star Wars were real) would relate to the Dark Side.

The reason these fictional stories work is because they’re about real problems, even if they present them in fantastical ways.

Even though I didn’t like the movie one of my favorite t- shirts is the soap logo with “Krav Maga” instead of “Fight Club.”

A great film for many reasons, (brilliantly framed, blocked and edited amongst those)

But to add something else to this chat - one thing I noticed, years after I saw it, was that Fincher was clearly influenced by Ingmar Bergman’s Persona when making this (Persona is one of Bergman’s best and probably his most untraditionally narrative films). It’s about an actress who suffers a breakdown on stage and has a nurse assigned to look after her while she convalesces in a secluded cottage. During the film they develop a close friendship which develops into the merging of personalities.

The opening montage by Bergman - one that’s more about his impressionistic visuals of the themes within the film and is probably the segment with the least cohesion in regular story structure, has elements within it that might seem familiar to Fight Club aficionados - the spliced in dick pic, for one. :smile:

Full version available to watch on youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySa4fK9SqII

Shockingly, these people are frequently outspoken Trump supporters.

But cognitive dissonance is a way of life for them - they’re antifeminist, and yet a big arm of their movement named themselves after a concept from a film made by two trans women…