millarworld.tv Comics Creators

This is where you talk about Fight Club.

Can I just say how much I love the debate on this forum? This is literally the only place in my life that I could have a serious debate about Fight Club! If I don’t post often enough it’s because you brilliant people all say what I want to say already, but much more brilliantly!

The thing I loved most about Fight Club the first time I saw it was that at no point during the film did I have any idea what was going to happen next. That does not happen often.

The main problem with Fight Club is Tyler Durden is cool as hell. Brad Pitt knocked the shit out of that performance.

I always assumed that was the intent. Give people hopeless vacuous lives and it turns into aggression and ultimately destruction, vandalism and terrorism… Tyler Durden/Cornelius symbolizes the split between the content consusmer and the rebel, and how close those two opposites really are.

Also, he represents the intersection. The preferred role in society is the content consumer. That’s the behavior that is promoted, but, what is “sold” to people for their consumption is the appearance of the rebel - the “coolness.” You can believe you are a rebel on the inside as long as you act like a solid citizen on the outside. Durden is attractive up until the point when he starts to form the “space monkey” army. Then it’s clear that he’s just using the discontent to control people rather than solve anything.

And though Paluhniak and the movie seem much more directed toward the urban/suburban white male experience, it is somewhat the same with US male culture in general. We’re all sold the self-reliant individualist “strong” type like a brand.

I felt that his portrayal was a really apt one, especially for my interpretation.
Pitt’s Tyler is like what Pitt in 12 Monkeys probably thought he was like.

He’s the nascent cognition of a nervous breakdown, but that is it’s own pull

The book is all about a lil’ something I call love.
The Narrator (that’s what I prefer to call the protag) is plagued by his detachment from society.
And he needs to accept that he doesn’t need to be alone or isolated now that he’s gotten this sorta kindred spirit in Marla.

Slowly already going crazy did not help matters

Tyler Durden has to be cool, that’s how the narrator sees himself when “being the rebel”. It’s the “cool” person he wants to be.

Might be interesting to envision a movie where Edward Norton is playing the Brad Pitt parts as an obviously disturbed individual, which might be what the rest of the people in that world saw him as.

He’s also a bit like a charismatic polarizing figure, like Stalin or Mussolini or Bin Laden. Some people adore him and are willing to join the cause and lay down their lives for him, others just think he’s crazy and scary as hell.

I never thought of it as The Narrator wants to be Tyler, because even in the book, he just wants to be with Tyler.
He wants them to be together, as friends of course, with clear subtext.

I think that’s because Tyler is the personification of the Narrator’s mania. He has to want to be complicit.
It’s a seduction to his own line of thinking.

This is true. I didn’t see it coming.

This is also true. Tyler is an idealized self though, so he’s gotta be cool as hell.

I’d like to take a moment to mention the soundtrack…

This track in particular with the circus/fair ground cut-off.

No to mention making Where Is My Mind a song that’s been covered by a deluge of artists now because of it.

This is the one thing that I still find redeeming about the film. :wink:

It would probably redeem anything, that song.

Speaking of the surprising ending, I will never forgive the clerk at Blockbuster (remember those?) for spoiling it for me when I rented the DVD for the first time. I still loved it but I would have liked to have never seen it coming. Man, that guy was a douchebag.

You should have pulled him out from behind the counter and beat the shit out of him. That’s what Tyler would have wanted. :wink:

Ronnie!! No more Fight Club talk for you :wink:

Edit: The damage this film has done is pretty clear!!

The winky face means I’m not to be taken serious and meant to be a serious commentary on the state of the world. :wink:

So does mine :wink:

Wait, have we just double-negatived winky faces??

I checked out of the series early, but is there any merit to FIGHT CLUB 2?