millarworld.tv Comics Creators

This is where you talk about Fight Club.

An interesting theory:

No, Fight Club still sucks. Always has.

Indeed.

The book is a wonderful bisexual fable though and I do recommend it still.

I thought the film was entertaining and interesting, a well told and acted story with a cool twist I didn’t see coming. Although I never saw it as some “deep truth” or statement about society.

The first rule of Cracked is we do not talk about Cracked.

Like the author of the book, I thought the movie was better.

The movie is still one of my all time favorites.

The author is dead wrong on that one.
I mean, he also wrote Fight Club 2 so…how much can he know?

Fixed that for you.

I don’t think it’s for me. I listened to half an hour to 45 minutes of him on Rogan’s podcast and he came across as so unpleasant and unlikable that I turned it off.

Oh yeah, totally.
The book isn’t something at all I would use to showcase Pahalniuk - since as @Todd put it - he doesn’t care for it either anyway. And out of all of his books I only enjoy two.

But I do think that the book does get overlooked by a lot of the things that the movie emphasized rather unjustly. At it’s core the book is about a gay man coming to terms with unexpected romantic feelings toward a woman. Which is an interesting conceit and actually does have a lot to do with the underlying character themes. It’s a little surprising and, for the author, an interesting character beat that has still stuck with me for years.

But the movie decided to make it more about society as a whole - or at least place that as the thematic red herring to the story - and so you get a lot of hot takes about “consumerism” and such which is so overplayed now that it’s boring. Oh and the movie reverses it so that the Narrator is already trying to make a play with Marla before Tyler ever shows up which completely “straight washes” that whole thing.

I’m not a fan of a lot of what he’s written for that reason, alot of that comes across. His stuff is marmite for me, I love the Fight Club book but have stopped half way through some of his others. I didn’t even manage as long as you on the Rogan podcast.

I look at them as two different things. I love the way the book tells the story I think, more than the story itself. If the movie came out now I heavily doubt I’d enjoy it as much as when I was 19, but I’ll probably always enjoy the book the same amount.

I still think it’s a great movie (I haven’t read the book) that tells truths even though the situations it depicts are magnified. It’s about rebels and revolutionaries, how difficult it can be to find something in life that makes sense and how seductive it can be to choose the wrong path. It’s a kind of old fashioned moral tale, and it’s wrong to think the author depicts Tyler Durden as a hero or some ideal to strive for.

Yeah, me too.

The movie does some formal things that almost no other movie does, and maybe no other does as well; and it manages to walk a line between comedy and serious very well, too.

And where the Cracked article is concerned - no, Fight Club is exactly as smart as I always thought it was.

It’s a funny career that Fight Club has had - in the theatres, it was mostly not watched and bombed completely, mostly because the studio didn’t manage to market it as the smart movie that it was.

And then it got a second life and became a cult movie because the audience did get it, in the end.

And now there’s a third life as an item of debate on the internet, because apparently it’s hard to get that it’s deconstructing ideas of macho masculinity and empty rebellion and treating them satirically and not actually endorsing them.

The movie is dangerous. It’s a cult in movie form. It draws you in with an appealing narrative you can buy into - the emptiness of consumerism, the mind numbing single man 20’s working, eating, sleeping repeat. The question of whether this is all there is.

And once you think you’ve found something you can relate to the message is you fit in by being a man, fighting others and then attacking our new 21st century villain, the corporation. And it ignores just how fucked up and lost everyone of their characters are. No, instead they show you that everyone is joining the club and you should be part of it.

I loved the movie but as I’ve got over it’s really unpleasant repellent garbage.

Honestly, I feel like the whole movie is about exactly that.

But I totally understand how you could watch the movie and come to your reading of it. It’s not an uncommon take.

It’s interesting that how you read the movie in that respect can completely reverse the meaning of the film.

It should be about that. There should be a moment where your empathy with the characters ends, and it should be when Bob dies. But Fincher didn’t do that. He glorified Bobs death and doesn’t make the character look like monsters. He makes it up to the viewer to have this realization, and he avoids the ugly reflection that should be the full third act.

I had a similar experience with BRAZIL. When I first watched FIGHT CLUB, I didn’t really comprehend how much of an antagonist Durden really was. Then it hit me that the end of the movie with “Cornelius” struggling to stop Tyler was the heroic action. This was sanity fighting a very charismatic madman who used just enough truth to deceive himself and his followers.

In BRAZIL, it was only after watching it a few times did I realize there were no terrorists. All these explosions weren’t bombs but instead were simply due to the insane building codes and regulations that were making the whole country unsafe on every level. The government simply blamed them on terrorists so they wouldn’t have to address the real problems or face any challenge to their authority from the population.

However, ironically, that leaves you with the realization that there “should be” terrorists and rebels fighting in this world. That the fact no one is actually violently challenging this bureaucratic and inhuman nightmare is far worse than a world where people are actually blowing things up.

Cornelius doesn’t fight Tyler. He becomes Tyler. The cop out at the end isn’t that he stops the destruction, he instead embraces his inner self, gets the girl and is set to lead this new world. He has a classic heroes journey.

Again, Fincher maybe doesn’t really buy that Fught Club is a horror movie. His changes suggest that the movie ends on a high note, rather than a low note.

Archibald Tuttle was the “terrorist”. Instead of destroying things, he fixed them. I do see where you are coming from, though.