millarworld.tv Comics Creators

This is how we roll! A thread for board games...

King of Tokyo is great!

I looked at Study in Emerald when I was last at my LGS. The box art did little for me but I was drawn in by seeing Gaiman’s name on it. Has it got lots of bits? It was a very heavy box.

Mostly cards with some playing pieces. Didn’t seem particularly heavy to me.

I may have been looking at smaller games before that so it just felt heavy in comparison.

We played Gundam Build fighters. I had only built a Loto. Cause it was a painful build. Kit has issues.
I was then lightest thing on the table. But i was also the most fearsome.

I never bothered changing to Robot mode. And just zipped about Blasting as the others battered each other. I had 4 and a half kills by end of the game.

They just couldn’t hit my little tank.
It was a fun game. And it’s resulted in a few new rules additions to represent the uniqueness of the Loto.

This is me leading my team.into combat for the group battle. I only tool out two of the opposition this turn and was sure to be thankful to the Dice gawds. All in all a.fun afternoon. And after a few months.out it.was nice to see what the game evolved into.

I’ve seen you and others post pictures of these things before but I’ve always wondered how exactly do you play with these things? I presume there must be some sort of game rules / structure rather than stomping them about shouting PEW PEW PEW BOOM!

The Gundam game is based on one that I wrote with a friend of @Mark_Hall and I years ago, but has been modified extensively by the members of the Gundam club in our LCS.

Or do you mean wargaming in general?

General I guess. Is your game a variation on it?

Well wargaming’s a broad church, a hobby in its own right rather than a specific game. Generally you’ve got two armies, each controlled by one person or a team. The different units in the army will have rules and stats to determine what they can do - so recon vehicles will be fast but not able to deal or take much damage, for example.

The game’s rules will determine how the different units move and fight, and there’s often a scenario to determine how each side wins.

Here’s a how-to video for a game a few of us on forum play called Warmachine, which shows how the game’s rules work and interact.

My only real interaction with war gaming was back in my early teens playing Warhammer 40k and a few variations. My favourite was Gorkamorka which was a cross between Mad Max and Warhammer 40K.

You might be interested to know @Bruce that there is a skirmish game based in the 2000ad universe.

Thanks Lorcan. I clicked through bits of the video and think I got the gist of it - individual unit stats plus dice rolls during fights. Not looking to get into it but was just interested in how it worked.

I’m aware of the Block Mania Kickstarter from a few years back. In fact I actually backed it and have a tiny Judge kicking about somewhere which was my pledge reward.

It’s a fun system😋similar to necromunda. Where you grew and advanced your gang as you played games.

Just to round out the picture – wargaming isn’t all painted miniatures and terrain models on a giant table. This was the first wargame I ever owned:

Divisional-level simulation of the Korsun pocket, Russian front, 1944. Cardboard counters on a paper map.

Still basically revolves around individual unit stats and dice rolls, though :slight_smile:

This weekend we’ve planned to do some wargaming, as the full group won’t all be there so we need something to replace the regular RPG.

I’ve proposed Ironclads, an American Civil War naval game, which I haven’t played for years.

I was just googling for some pics to show you and came across a review which says:

By today’s standards the game is rather slow moving, heavy on die rolls and charts and relies a lot on written orders.

And I’m thinking… yes, what else would you want…?

Eee, kids these days. No stomach for slow games with lots of charts and written orders :smiley:

He does give a good explanation of the gameplay though:

The basic turn structure is the familiar one used in many tactical naval wargames. Players write a coded plot for how they will execute their available movement points. For example, a player with a ship that has five movement points could write down 2 L 1 R, which would order the ship to move two hexes forward, turn left, move 1 hex and then turn right. Firing is done after movement, based on a two D6 roll on a specific chart for each gun type with various modifiers for crew quality, battlefield conditions, target size and the like. If a hit is scored, additional rolls are made to determine exactly where the shot lands. The power of the shell is compared to the strength of the armor involved in that section and another roll determines how much damage is done to the armor. The general pattern is that repeated hits on the same section of the ship will gradually weaken it until penetrating hits become common, resulting is escalating damage.

The table in our LCS basement that we use for Gundam Club is far from giant.

The photos I’ve seen give the impression of a lot of space.

Entirely Illusiory!

http://forums.millarworld.tv/uploads/default/_optimized/7ee/4a4/19bc8b74e5_800x600.jpg

If I was ever to get into war gaming I think it would have to be the paper based. The main factors being I’ve no room for models and the fact I’m completely kack handed at assembling and painting intricate models and the like!

I found out recently (from one of my best friends who has fallen heavily back into collecting 40K lately) that the local heavy metal nightclub near me runs a war gaming club during daylight hours, which seems both weird and yet an ingenious use of space.

We’ve a few pubs about Dublin that do gaming in some form or anther.
As well as the local gamingshop.