millarworld.tv Comics Creators

This is how we roll! A thread for board games...

Those are the cardboard buildings. Jonathan, the owner, has got plastic buildings and he is talking about painting them. I was tempted to offer to paint some of the commander figures.

He has a whole second box of bits he hasn’t even broken out yet which were part of his KS backer level. It does include sentry turrets that can be added to the top of the buildings.

I meant the little ones surrounded by rubble like in the centre of this photo:

Yeah, they need a lick of paint. They are the bases of the buildings but also double as rubble once a building is destroyed.

That’s a very nice touch. I need to make rubble markers for our DropZone Commander and BattleTech games actually.

Yes you do. Meanwhile i just need ro get back to the table for fighty fun.
Its been too long. But i have at least assmwbled and base coated the Ttcombat bits i got. That’s productive! Right?

Very nice pictures…

Now, for one of the original board games … Wait for it… Chess.

I had some problems in my game. I relied too much on memorizing the set openings like the French, the Sicilian, Ruy Lopez, etc. These opening moves have been analyzed and mapped out for decades, but they work if your opponent does the corresponding move. If the opponent deviates and does a different move, I have a tough time adjusting as I rely too much on the set opening formation.

So that is my flaw… Exciting, eh? :smile:

But that’s not playing the game Al. That’s merely moving pieces. And an important piont is

images

The goal of the game is to outthink the opposition.

Or do what Derren Brown did. Although he really was just moving the pieces.

I always liked that trick for its simplicity.

Absolutely right.

My weakness is getting my own formation right than paying attention to the actual moves on the board.

Have to make adjustments.

Another expensive kickstarter board game has surfaced.

Good grief that’s a lot of money. It looks really nice, but I’d want to be sure I’d play it more than a handful of times before committing that much money to a game (and these days I know I just don’t have that much time for board games).

Logan has been enjoying D&D but it is very complicated for a recently 6 year old to follow. So, after he showed an interest, we are trying out My Little Pony - Tales from Equestria. Today we did the character creation.

This is Foxy, she is an earth pony who can talk to mammals (specifically foxes). Her cutie mark is a paw print and she has Loyalty as her element of harmony but she is naive.

This is far worse than D&D leading to the door of Satan.
You risk making a Bronie is 24 years time.

Did Tom Hanks teach us nothing!?

I tried to watch that about a month ago. Managed about 5 minutes and had to switch it off.

I had a game of Munchkin Fu last night (I picked up the recent-ish guest artist edition for a mere £13) and a had a great time. Haven’t played in a while and it’s always nice to be reminded of how fun it is to screw over friends in it (especially one who gets quite wound up by it). I had the level 20 monster in my hand from the start and chanced upon a Wandering Monster card just in time for him to face an easy monster while on level 9. Immensely satisfying.

We played Boss Monster after. I think my favourite thing about it is the pseudo NES game packaging (and pseudo GameBoy game packaging for a small expansion set). The game itself I found hard to get into, as I didn’t seem at all able to really progress in or succeed at. Don’t know if that’s down to bad luck with cards or just poor tactics, but it left me cold.

A bit of retro gaming when I went back to my childhood home over the weekend.

Is anyone going to the UK Games Expo in Birmingham this weekend?
I haven’t been for a few years and have tickets for all three days this year. I’m looking forward to spending some time in the open gaming with friends. I may try and visit The Dice Tower booth and get tickets to one of their shows.

I managed to find some great deals at UKGE yesterday (although I still spent my entire budget).
The first was Thunder Alley, a card based NASCAR game, for £45. I have wanted a copy for a while but it is hard to track down, even Amazon has limited copies with the cheapest being around £55.
On the same stand I also spotted Terraforming Mars was also £45. I checked back at the end of the day and they still had copies. Considering it was a minimum of seven pounds cheaper than other stalls and twenty three pounds cheaper than one particular retailer I was very surprised they still had copies.