millarworld.tv Comics Creators

This is how we roll! A thread for board games...

I agreed to paint some miniatures over the Christmas break which our dm has made especially for our d&d game.

I was quite excited to sit and paint this evening but now… hmm… turns out the miniatures from Heroforge (which are awesome and personal as they can be customised) are shockingly bad for painting. I think it is down to them being 3D printed and that these were the lowest price option (which is still expensive for minis). The texture is all grainy and there is next to no chance to get fine details showing. I’m about to use a wash on one of them but I’m certain it’ll just clog up in the texture and make a mess of it.

These things may look better if I just give them to my kids to paint.

Sheep :sheep:!

I’ve got wood for those sheep

Star Wars Risk.

I was sceptical of a game of Risk with a Star Wars skin, but we gave it a go, and…

It’s a great game :open_mouth:

The first thing to note is that it’s not Risk with a Star Wars skin. Apart from a very superficial dice mechanic, there’s nothing of Risk in here. It’s its own thing.

It’s good fun, it’s quick, the strategy seems obvious but becomes very hard to implement, there are edge-of-your-seat reversals of fortune, and it seems pretty well balanced – Rebels won in both of the games we played, but each time it was by the skin of their teeth and it could easily have gone the other way.

Saw this on Twiiter from an old friend of the board about the intricacies of being a DM. forgive formatting.

Carlos Adama Retweeted

James Breakwell

Verified account

@XplodingUnicorn
Jan 7
More
I played Dungeons and Dragons with my daughters.

They were supposed to fight the wolves surrounding a town.

Instead, they fed the wolves and turned them into their friendly wolf army.

Logan did the same, now he has a friendly wolf companion that he named Happy!

Not really a board game but I bought a second hand copy of Pentago. Five-in-row on a 6x6 grid made up of four rotating tiles.

No fucking clue what the winning strategy is but it’s very satisfying to play. The hands on, spinning of a tile a quarter turn after you place on of the nicely weighty marbles makes for a very tactile experience.

D&D’d last night. I got most of the minis painted for the group but I was so concerned with getting them there safely I forgot to pick up my dice.

Thankfully everyone has tons and I was still able to play.

DM brought in an element of my back story while we were travelling to a quest location. It was a great moment and I think it has really split the groups opinion of my character. I gave nothing away and had tried to pass the NPC unnoticed. It didn’t work but I kept with my refusal to elaborate on the what had happened. It was this that really split the group.

Unfortunately my wife called to say my youngest was ill and asked if I could come home so we didn’t really get a chance to build on the issues raised.

With the group I am running at school we finished the story I wrote using the pre-made characters and are now rolling our own characters. We will be starting the Lost Mines of Phandelin story from the starter set on Monday and I have been looking at alternatives to miniatures. I stumbled across printable heroes (https://printableheroes.tumblr.com) which has a great selection of free paper resources to use in place of minis and that looks like a great choice.

We’re having a problem with Star Wars Risk. Four games now, and the Rebels have–just barely–won each one. The general pattern is that the Empire makes all the early running, then the Rebellion pulls back and makes a stunning reversal.

Which is true to the source, and great fun, but we’re getting worried that the game is balanced so the Empire can’t win. I don’t think so, as the games have all been close enough that you can imagine they could have swung the other way, but my friend is convinced of it.

Does anyone else play it, and has the Empire ever won?

Picked up another casual two player game, Iota. A pretty simple premise, essentially four-in-a-row with cards. Simple stuff that would probably bore hard-core gamers but it was a better way of passing the time than watching shite telly.

Each card has a shape, colour and number on it. Each row needs to all be the same or different.

Compact cards (about 2 inches square) but the game area sprawls out as the game progresses. We’re going to need a bigger coffee table!

They played something similar to this on Tabletop a few years back. It seemed to occupy some nerds then

I was about to say it looks a lot like Quirkle, which is the game from the Tabletop episode I assume you are talking about Lorcan.
It looks like it had an extra layer of complexity with the numbers.

that’s the fellow!

I’m playing some d&d via Skype.

Getting back into chess…

I played Zombicide last night. It’s my first experience with any of these types of… well, I don’t know what the term for them is, really. HeroQuest on steroids, maybe? My brother’s invested heavily into some of them and his D&D group is losing interest in actual D&D, so I joined a couple of them to play this last night.

I wasn’t expecting much - my brother has a history of never correctly understanding the rules to board games, which makes them a chore to play - but Zombicide was a hell of a lot of fun. We played the first scenario after the tutorial one and, helped slightly by what I suspect was a bit of rule fudging (both conscious and unconscious), we cleared it, though at the cost of one of my survivors (though I guess dying means she’s not a survivor. Farewell, Ann the bloodthirsty nun, your hammer may as well have been a child’s rubber one). The amount of flexibility offered by the components in the set, as well as the many expansion sets, is really impressive. I dread to think how much they all cost. And I don’t envy the task of trying to paint everything in there, either.

I think most people call them Dungeon Crawlers, even when they’re not literally set in a dungeon.

Last time I played Zombicide I was cruising up and down a street in a pimpmobile mowing down z’s

A valid option.

Better then trying to shoot them considering the wonky targeting mechanics.