millarworld.tv Comics Creators

This is how we roll! A thread for board games...

I’m considering selling my copy of this. It never gets played and I have a real love/hate relationship with it.

I might be interested. :slight_smile:

Part of me thinks I need to invest in the bounty hunters expansion and that adding more player interaction will fix my misgivings with the game.

On the other hand I don’t really want to have to spend money to “fix” a game and have no idea if the expansion will really solve the issues I have with it.

I liked it more than I expected to (it might be because out of the two games we’ve played I won both :wink: ), and I thought it reflected the flavour of the series pretty well so it should make fans happy.

Though honestly, it’s not one I can see us playing a lot.

On a roll (no pun intended) now, creating my new RPG setting and blogging it as I go. Today, I wrote a bit about how (and why) I select the rules I’m going to use: http://dmheroes.co.uk/journal/post/2017/08/13/New-Rules.aspx

Necromunda’s coming back!

I’m quite tempted by this. I only ever got to play the original Necromunda a few times, but it was a lot of fun.

Choosing figures for the new game…

http://dmheroes.co.uk/journal/post/2017/08/15/Figures.aspx

I’m sure you are going to cover this soon @davidm (or already have previously). But how much do you have preplanned in the way of story?

I was approached recently by a parent of one of my pupils, he wanted to start playing D&D. He knew I was a board gamer and thought I’d be the right person to ask. We are now in the final stages of getting the group together.

Unfortunately we don’t have a DM and as I am relatively new to rpg’s I know I won’t be best suited for the job. However I found myself with a great hook to start a story the other day and so started writing it up.

Now I have an opening, giving the players a chance to interact and get to know each other’s characters and I have an opening encounter. I have no direction for the story however.

I am interested to know how much you preplan? Do you have a range of set pieces that will happen? Do you have a defined ending and work toward that? Is it a mixture of both?

Despite writing this opening I still don’t want to be the dm!

As an alternative, there are some RPGs out there where there isn’t a GM, but a rotating narrator role. Check out the Valiant Universe RPG for an example

https://www.catalystgamelabs.com/valiant/

There are free quick-start rules on that page if you want to try it out.

It’s a bit of both :slight_smile:

I have set pieces, but I’m fully aware that half of them won’t happen because the players will either screw up and miss them, or be brilliant and bypass them, so I actually have redundant layers (for want of a better term) of set pieces, just in case. I always have an ending to work towards, because I treat the game like a story, and a story needs an ending and resolution.

The other thing I do is make the plot non-player-character driven. This probably works best in long campaigns, but it works in a short scenario, too. If you know what your chief baddie is doing and why, you can write the “story” of how he wins without the players getting in the way. Then when the players do get in the way, you still know what he’s aiming for so you put yourself in his mind and think, that went tits up, what do I do next? This gives you your next set piece, and the future story adjusts accordingly. You don’t need all the redundant set-pieces prepared, though you do need to be able to quickly plot them on the fly (or, worst case, end the session early so you can get ready for next week).

But there are other ways of doing it – in our early days of playing D&D, it was enough to have a huge dungeon complex full of encounters, with no goal other than killing monsters for fun and treasure. A goal like “the king wants these monsters cleared out and as a reward you can keep whatever treasure you find” is a goal (though not a particularly good story). To be honest I would probably suggest that approach for any beginning GM (especially one who comes from board gaming – or wargaming, as I did), as it’s all set pieces that work in any order and you don’t have to worry about keeping the narrative straight, you can just have fun hacking up monsters while learning how to play “in character”.

Probably more than you needed to know :wink: . But now I might adapt this for my next blog post. Thanks :smiley:

Oh, and: good luck :slight_smile:

Thanks so much David. I think I agree a less story driven and contained dungeon dive would be a good starting point for the group.

I do have the d&d starter set story as well to either draw from or use.

My hook was too good (in my opinion) to pass up however.

Right I have developed my story a bit now. I have a good idea for the end of the story and final confrontation which builds nicely on the opening and (hopefully) neatly ties up everything set up in that opening.

I have a few set pieces during the build-up to this confrontation that I have made unavoidable. The players will either stumble across them or be given a direct quest leading to them.

I bought myself a notebook to start jotting all my ideas down more comprehensively and now I’m eight pages in.

I still need some names for NPC’s but I’m going to pull these straight from the PH suggestions lists.

What do the different colours represent? Different paths through the game?

(Apologies if this is a silly question, I don’t know much about these kinds of games.)

Looks to me like purple is dialogue, blue is directions or decision points. It’s a neat system – not one I’ve ever thought of, but I might pinch it :slight_smile:

@DaveWallace Yeah, @davidm has pretty much nailed it. The blue was anything that is description or DM led with purple brackets to denote specific description points. While the purple is either dialogue, especially on those pages, or the stats for an opponent/s that the group will face during a set piece.
I have also used a mixture of underlining or alternate colours to make important points stand out so I don’t forget them.

Things are getting tense in our game of Acquire.

Or use the regulars from a certain comic message board.
To bring life to your Bad guystm.

Today: researching the game background.

http://dmheroes.co.uk/journal/post/2017/08/20/Research.aspx

A year ago with the Chiefs permission I approached a games publisher to put together a superhero board game as there’s so few on the market. Over the winter I worked with the design team, the miniature team and others involved in the creation process. Teams of folks from 4 countries, all working on their bits to make a complete original game.

Today the game was announced at Gen Con. It’ll be in retail hopefully some time next spring. It’s all rather splendid.