millarworld.tv Comics Creators

This is how we roll! A thread for board games...

That looks awesome!

It is. I found it a lot more enjoyable than I thought I would. There was some really clever geeky banter going on over the comms, too. The room went completely silent when, in the light of not knowing Reys gender, Björn admitted that he had not seen Episode VII.

X-wing is one of those games I’d like to play, but I really can’t afford it.

I was sorely tempted to get the Corellian Corvette just to have as a display piece though.

I’m in the same boat, my eldest has expressed an interest too. I may have to invest when he is a little older.

If you want a cheap option, we used to play this:

Uses card counters rather than models, so presumably loads cheaper.

I can’t say how the mechanics compare with Anders’ game, but it was a good fun (though pretty simple) game.

Being a Fantasy Flight game, X-wing is designed to be as much about the cards and counters and special dice as it is the models. And you get specific cards with specific ships.

You can find most of the details online, but then you have to print stuff out and some stuff needs to be on the table…

X wing does always look more dynamic than the startrek version of the game.

We could probably ask the Thomas house lads to demo the Game. It’s not like they don’t have buckets of the stuff @Lorcan_Nagle.

This is still the best Star Trek game:

I’ll never play the board game of SFB - it’s too much paperwork even for me, but I love the computer adaptations to death.

It’s the paperwork I love. Who wouldn’t want to have this level of control over what your star ship does?

See, that’s the point that tips over into too much. I get the appeal - I play BattleTech after all.

We should keep this on file for the next time some one says btech is complicated.

Was this the Fasa Startrek game?

It’s Star Fleet Battles, which isn’t actually an official Trek game, it’s licensed from the Star Fleet manual that was published in the 70s, which has it’s own odd connections in and out of the Trek universe:

I’m sorry, my eyes glazed over and I nearly passed out just from that one sheet.

Star Fleet Battles was released by Task Force Games in 1979 (I think), got several player-generated expansion packs (“Why aren’t there any Kzinti ships? I think they should look like this…” etc.) until eventually they consolidated it all into a supposedly “ultimate” edition called the Commander’s Rules, in around 1984 in two volumes (Basic and Advanced rules) plus some extra books of charts and ship designs, around 400 pages of material in all.

Then they added supplements.

Which required so much ret-conning of the existing rules, you wouldn’t believe. (Photon torpedoes are comprehensively described over several pages of the basic rules. But if you want to use the Fighter supplement, you need to know these six extra additional things about photons, and of course that modifies these 12 points in the basic rules… oh you’re using photons in your Orion option mounts too? You’ll need to change these rules too. Oh wait, we’ve just thought up “Shock” rules, which requires you to re-write these three photon torpedo sub-clauses as follows…)

We started to think they were taking the piss when they issued the “Consolidated Addenda”, a 100+ page book of corrections to the (by then) 600 pages of existing rules.

Did I mention the supplements? Oh, sorry, your Consolidated Addenda is now out of date, but don’t worry, we’re working on a “Doomsday Edition” which will contain everything you ever need and we’ll stop there.

Sometime in the 90s (I stopped keeping track of dates, not to mention the will to live) they produced the definitive, consolidated, final, this-is-all you need “Captain’s Rules”.

Note they didn’t call it “Doomsday Edition”. We should have realised then.

Ten years later, the supplements and addenda to the Captain’s Rules were getting unwieldy, so they started talking about a… dern dern dern … untilmate set of rules that would be the… ah, you know what, we’re not going to publish a new edition, we’re going to have a constantly-updated versionless version that you can get print-on-demand from our web site and we guarantee that what you print on that day will be complete and definitive and have all the errata and addenda. On that day. (Apart from the stuff we haven’t had time to typeset yet, we’ll just give you that in an extra text file for you to write in yourself.)

:confused:

But none of this matters when you’ve got a D7 bearing down on your weakened shield and he’s one hex off overload range and he’s calculated your energy plot and knows you can’t counter his, but you’ve plotted a mid-turn speed change so you’ve got spare energy he hasn’t counted on, so you dump reserve warp power from your batteries into a high-energy turn, get your plasma launchers in arc, drop your fire control to give you that extra point of power and give him two enveloped Type-S plasma torpedoes under Active Terminal Guidance at just the precise moment when he can’t possibly satisfy his turn mode in time to turn away at his current speed.

That’s why this is the best game ever.

But that’s an easy one! Klingon War Cruiser, simplest ship in the game. It doesn’t really get complicated until you start using carrier:

When you play it in this format, sure:

I tried that years ago (or something that looked very like that) and didn’t find it an enjoyable experience at all. That’s just me, though. My SFB-buddies who are also computer gamers thought it was great.

There were 4 Starfleet Command games, the original, a stand-alone expansion, a sequel that did the Andromeda invasion from SFB, and then one set in the actual Trek universe after Nemesis and used TNG, DS9 and Voyager ships. So you could easily have played some other version.

But yeah, automating everything (and making it real-time) made the game more bearable for me than the tabletop game.

Real-time is an instant turn-off for me. That’s why I have never got into computer games. I don’t have the speed or thought or coordination to process information that fast and press the right buttons to respond to it. There’s enough of that in real life, and the reason I play games is to escape from it :smiley: