millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Wild Storm by Warren Ellis (Spoilers)

That was a really great interview with Ellis. The preview has me greatly encouraged for tomorrow’s first issue. I think the artist’s style works much better in storytelling than what has been shown so far. I also love that Zealot initially has blood splattered in the same shape that she previously facial tattoos/markings. I’m curious to see what Ellis has planned.

I don’t think there’s ANY chance of that, though. Ellis has had 2/3 years to write the 6 issues he’s written. I think there will be a break between the 6 issue volumes as well.

Iwas going to say just the same – Stormwatch was, for me, a much stronger, more challenging and wide ranging book.

Authority was fun, wide screen action. But Stormwatch was utterly brilliant. Change or Die remains a high point of scifi-action comics for me.

I don’t think there’s a chance either, but until DC say otherwise that’s what I’m going to hope for.

Thanks for that Ronnie. Good interview. This part in particular has me enthused:

It sounds like the right way to approach a project like this.

So my Stormwatch reread got as far as the end of the Change or Die trade today, leaving A Finer World and Final Orbit for tomorrow.

And I have to say, my favourite arc in the whole run is probably Strange Weather, the second one in Change or Die, and the first from Stormwatch volume 2. It feels like a perfected version of the story that runs through the first few issues of Ellis’ run in general.

There’s an awful lot in these three issues - the establishment of the new order on Skywatch in the aftermath of Change or Die, the further deterioration of the relationship between the US and Stormwatch, the way the disparate plot lines all tie together in the end. And so much detail and worldbuilding imparted in a relatively small space. I love that there’s a UN resolution that bans genetic testing on humans, and that there’s attempts to get it rescinded. The idea of a US Senator and an expert in genetics investigating breaches of the resolution? It feels real. Like this is the sort of scandal that would happen in the real world. I’d love a TV series that handled superhumans this way.

I think Strange Weather is the one I read when I was thirteen or so after I found it in the local library. It didn’t make much sense, but Jack Hawksmoor had some cool powers and I liked the idea of splitting the team into two arms and giving them cool names.
I can’t wait to read it all now.

I had graduated college and left home by then! Be less young!

Sorry old-timer. :wink:

You say sorry, but I don’t see you changing anything

I really liked Jimenez’s art on the arc. It regrettable that things didn’t work out with him. It’s also sad that Ellis never followed through on his promise to do another comic with Tom Raney.

Yeah, Oscar Jimenez’ art was a really nice fit for the story.

And I forgot to mention, Fuji revealing that he has an orgasm every few minutes was one of the funniest things Ellis has ever written. Up there with “Take me, Clanky”/“Yarr” in Two-Step.

Oscar Jimenez’s art was amazing, what happened to that guy? He only did 3 issues or so.

I like Stormwatch and Authority a lot, but Planetary is the superior work.

He tried to make a comeback a couple years ago under a different name but it didn’t work out again. Not sure if a reason was given either time.

I remember really liking the issues he did for Morrison’s JLA run. The story where the Key traps the JLA in dreams and Conner Hawke has to save the day.

I checked his name on Comixology. Looks like he’s still working, he did the Aquaman Rebirth book and a cover for Sam Wilson’s Cap book. Not exactly prolific though.

He’s working under the Oscar Jimenez name again or do they include work done under his pen name?

Under Oscar Jimenez, I couldn’t search his pen name as you didn’t tell us what it is. :smile:

Oops! :blush:

It’s Juan Barranco.

His work looks like it may take a long time to complete an issue, like Quitely. Some artists just don’t fit the monthly 22 page comic book mold.