millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Wild Storm by Warren Ellis (Spoilers)

Ehh… not feeling this…Something’s bugging me on the plot front… I don’t know what exactly, but it feels “wrong” somehow. It’s too corporate, like, in a forced way, and it’s not particularly engaging.

Also, the art is a huge problem for me, here. Not only is the artist honestly not ready for a big title like this, but his visuals are bland and boring and the faces are too similar, and the colors are bland too.

I dunno, I’m quite disappointed with this so far. I hope at least the story picks up soon, even though I guess we’re stuck with this art =/

I completely agree on m this. I’m dropping it as of the second issue.

I hear high expectations.

There’s some really good art in issue #2, better colors, too. I’m fine.

The quality of art and coloring is no longer as important to me as the story quality. So far the characterizations, dialogue, and plot are interesting and intriguing, so I’m planning to stay on board as long as it stays that way.

I expected a bit of a slow burn in setting up the world. liked the addition of Kenesha, Christine and Ivana. With the inclusion of Christine, I wonder if we will see Jackson soon. i liked his story line especially the family part. Cray’s vist to the doctor was an interesting turn.

How can anyone, with functioning eyes, who read that book or watched that clip, complain about the art?

Art is subjective, as we know, but in this case Jonathan is talking pish.

Jon Davis Hunt will be a superstar.

Yeah nice try but anatomy is not subjective, sorry to say… neither is bad perspctive… the rest, yeah I guess we can argue about some of those as being subjective and speaking of those: I find those layouts & designs quite bland. But yes, those are subjective.

I’m not expecting a full return to the 90’s designs or anything, but I’d settle for something with actual personality.

All well-loved artists, whose work frequently didn’t represent accurate anatomy.

Comics art often is at its best when it’s stylised, and has a fluid approach to how ‘real’ things should look.

Let’s see, what’s that net term again? Ah yes… Pwned.

There’s a lot to like in the art in Wild Storm for me but it has its weak points too. In fact, one of my main concerns from early previews was the art. So I can see why it legitimately wouldn’t be some people’s favorite. I’m enjoying the concepts enough to give it a bit of a pass for now. I think Davis-Hunt will improve with time as well.

Not really, some of those have correct anatomy, some don’t.

Also, are you seriously comparing Jon Davis Hunt to Kirby, McFarlane, Ramos & McGuiness? 'Cause no disrespect intended, but he isn’t nowhere near that level. Maybe in some years… but yeah no… nowhere near that dynamism or craft, sorry.

No, I was using them to make the point that ‘correct anatomy’ isn’t some kind of objective measure of good comics art.

You could try replying to Dave you know, the guy who actually replied to you?

I love Kelley Jones and Bill Sienkiewicz, no control of anatomy there at all.

Yes I replied to your “pwned” coment… and then to Dave…

Anyways since that bothers you that much:

No it’s not necessarily, my point was that there are some objective measures in art. Anatomy and perspective being two of those. Kirby famously drew “wrong” anatomy (and faces), and it’s okay because he had a particular style that made him Kirby. But his anatomy was still “technically wrong”, objectively, even if it was on purpose and part of his style.

Anyways, the art in this books is going for a “realistic” style, and in that regard, yes there are some obvious flaws there. But nevermind that, my problem is that I find it very bland, which yes, it’s subjective.

But hey, let’s stop trying to score cookie points here. You don’t agree? cool, I don’t care. Moving on… (adressed to everyone, not Dave specifically).

*Edited to put it less “coloquially” before people get mad I’m saying Kirby was “crap”, which I’m not :smile:

I have this problem. My name is Andrew… and I’m a chocoholic!

Jon Davis-Hunt reminds me a bit of early Travis Charest. Like early Charest, his heads seem a bit large for the bodies and the detail seems to be oddly apportioned in the wrong places. I didn’t like Charest early on because he seemed like a bad Jim Lee clone to me but he got much better. I think David-Hunt is on the way up here.

Dustin Nguyen was somewhat derivative and stiff when he began working on Wildcats 3.0 with Joe Casey, but he grew into that series and is now one of the finest contemporary comic artists. Give Jon Davis Hunt a chance.

OK, but I wasn’t trying to score points, just trying to politely disagree, with examples.

I can completely understand you not liking Jon Davis-Hunt’s art, and why it wouldn’t be for everyone. I just think it’s a mistake to try and introduce these kinds of objective measures into what is always a very subjective judgement.