millarworld.tv Comics Creators

The Wild Storm by Warren Ellis (Spoilers)

This is the crux of it. Ellis doesn’t read comics anymore. Most of his comic output is done as this six-issues is a short novel kind of deal. Even his done-in-oners link back at the end (like Moon Knight, which I loved). I guess Trees is the exception, but that’s even more novelistic? I don’t particularly mind either. I’ve loved his recent output (apart from Supreme Blue Rose), but it bothers some people and informs their decision to wait for the trade.
As long as each chapter of a series feels significant, then I’ll follow it monthly and this has done that. Though it’s not a big bang of a first issue, it seems to start the ball rolling in some interesting directions.

Not to suck-up to the Chief but I preferred his run on The Authority (even the Nativity arc alone) over Ellis’.

I bought the Millar trades first having dipped in at the tail-end of the floppies for the Arthur Adams art - when I went back to get the first two trades I was really let down, as the popular consensus was that Millar’s run was a poor imitation of greatness.

Not to suck up to the Chief, but the Chief is clearly the best and as much as I love his Millarworld stuff I’m dying for him to go reinvent something at the Big 2 again.

EDIT: DYING!!!

Sometimes it can be the order you see things. The Authority at the time was very bold storytelling that was continued by the next team, the impact is reduced by going back in sequence.

I always remember with Tarantino I saw Pulp Fiction before Reservoir Dogs and having already been exposed to his dialogue and style I don’t think it had the same impact others felt.

That’s maybe true for some readers but not for me. My knowledge of the Wildstorm universe is fairly limited, to the extent that I didn’t know who most people in this first issue were based on originally.

I think the most obvious sign of that for me is that individual issues aren’t always structured in a way that gives them a natural ending. Presumably because the ‘novels’ are written as a big block and then cut into issue-sized chunks, the issues often just end at a seemingly arbitrary point, rather than any kind of climax or cliffhanger.

DYING!!!

:dizzy_face:

Not allowed.

I had almost the exact same experience. I picked up the first issue just before the hiatus with the government sponsored replacement team and went back after that.

I loved that The Nativity arc was basically The Authority vs evil Jack Kirby and his creations. And that Frank Quitely art…

I consider myself pretty well versed in Wildstorm ‘lore’ and I didn’t know who a lot of those people were either (maybe 50%?).

But I loved it. Loved it loved it loved it.

My review of Wild Storm #1.

I don’t get my comics until Sunday, but so glad to hear that #1 seems to live up to expectations. Very cool.

I really enjoyed it. It is that rare beast - a comic that reads really well panel by panel on my phone.

Matt Fraction’s Hawkeye comic was a little the same.

I really like the panel layouts. Like I said in my review, I think Jon Davis-Hunt is a better storyteller than pinup artist which is what I value more.

Honestly, I think that’s more important.

Ya. I felt like I was giving a backhanded compliment when I typed it but it’s one of the best compliments I think I can give a comic artist. I’m more concerned with sequentials than covers. :wink:

As a longtime WildStorm fan who was extremely turned off by DCs last attempt to resuscitate the line (during The New 52) I am glad I took a chance on this latest version. Interesting to see how Ellis puts a new spin on old characters and concepts. I’m in for 24 issues. :slight_smile:

This thread has convinced me to pick up the first issue today - my first non-pull list floppy (non-digital) purchase in years.

I really need to re-read that book.

Interesting article about Wild Storm #1. I don’t think folding it into the regular DCU was a good idea. The Wildstorm characters either become the villains or make all the DC heroes into villains.